Conference Coaches of the Year (late season edition) | The Boneyard

Conference Coaches of the Year (late season edition)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Who do you think will be the contenders for Conference Coach of the Year.. in various conferences... big or small?

In the ACC.... I see a 3 horse race between Brooks of VPI, JBM of BC, and JPM of DU :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Some early candidates.... Banghart, Fortner, and Hoover have faltered of late.... though Fortner could possibly get back in the running.

In the Big South...... still early to tell as the conference standings are bunched up. A week ago.... I would have said Branbury of HPU was leading... but alas.. they have lost two straight.

McKeown of Northwestern is a shoo-in in the Big 10. Any coach that can lead a team to into a hostile environment down in Durham... a thrashing that was so disheartening that it led me to quit watching...... well that coach deserves a COY in his conference.

Reaction Score
In the PAC-12, Arizona's Adia Barnes should be a frontrunner for the COY award with four regular season games remaining.
I think if Arizona wins out including beating Stanford, I totally agree with you. If they lose 1 or more and Oregon wins out, you got to give it to Kelly. Tara got it all those years when her team dominated the PAC12. A 17-1 Oregon team, winning the conference by 2 games, with the quality of the PAC12, would be impressive.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think I agree w/ @domerduck . I could see Barnes, Graves and Close being in the running, but Oregon has been head and shoulders above a tough field thus far.

Reaction Score
I think if Arizona wins out including beating Stanford, I totally agree with you. If they lose 1 or more and Oregon wins out, you got to give it to Kelly. Tara got it all those years when her team dominated the PAC12. A 17-1 Oregon team, winning the conference by 2 games, with the quality of the PAC12, would be impressive.
I think that Graves does a fantastic job preparing his team, protecting his players, and allowing his players' strengths to shine. I would be very surprised if Barnes doesn't win it this year, even if her squad drops another game or two. People recognize that Graves has three of the Top 10 best players in the game this season. Much is expected of his squad.

Reaction Score
Dawn and Vic are the only two who make much sense in the SEC.

Maybe a small argument for Nikki.

Reaction Score
Who do you think will be the contenders for Conference Coach of the Year.. in various conferences... big or small?

In the ACC.... I see a 3 horse race between Brooks of VPI, JBM of BC, and JPM of DU :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Some early candidates.... Banghart, Fortner, and Hoover have faltered of late.... though Fortner could possibly get back in the running.

In the Big South...... still early to tell as the conference standings are bunched up. A week ago.... I would have said Branbury of HPU was leading... but alas.. they have lost two straight.

McKeown of Northwestern is a shoo-in in the Big 10. Any coach that can lead a team to into a hostile environment down in Durham... a thrashing that was so disheartening that it led me to quit watching...... well that coach deserves a COY in his conference.
Considering that she lost three starters (one of whom was B10 POY) Lisa Bluder could win it in that conference if they manage to finish first or second.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Believe it or not, per Wikipedia, Tara hasn't won PAC-12 COY once. She last won the conference award in 2009, before the expansion. Not saying she deserves it this year, but it has been a while.
I'm starting to catch wind of a certain theme. Is Stanford the Susan Lucci of the Pac-12?

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I'm starting to catch wind of a certain theme. Is Stanford the Susan Lucci of the Pac-12?
Hah! I honestly just think it's that there are so many great coaches to honor in our conference, and the perception is that she's won it so many times that someone else almost always "deserves" it more in any given year. *I* hadn't even realized how long it had been. And funnily enough, she was NATIONAL coach of the year in 2011 even though she didn't win conference coach of the year. Go figure...

Re: POW/Y awards, I do think there seems to be a bit of bias against Stanford players. It could honestly be the legacy effect of the other teams being tired of being one of the 9 dwarves. Between us (and the World Wide Web), Stanford being Harvard-caliber good at academics and Baylor-caliber good at athletics irks a lot of fans of other schools, esp. in California. I think it's a milder version of the reason why everyone (including me!) hates on Notre Lame and Dook - it kinda feels like they shouldn't get to eat their cake and have it too. I think Stanford coaches and fans generally comport themselves much better (Tara looks like Mother Teresa next to MM and McCallie), but I know Cal, UCLA, and U$C fans all crave wins over Stanford more than just about any other school.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Believe it or not, per Wikipedia, Tara hasn't won PAC-12 COY once. She last won the conference award in 2009, before the expansion. Not saying she deserves it this year, but it has been a while.

I believe that the Wikipedia listing may include only the media version of the award. Tara won the Wooden Award for Coach of the Year (voted on by conference coaches) two years ago (2017-18). Graves won the media version of the award for that season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I guess I don't believe it or I am believing this article I found in researching my response that Tara won it two years ago and it was her 15th time. I didn't say that out of the blue. Maybe you can attach your reference.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Considering that she lost three starters (one of whom was B10 POY) Lisa Bluder could win it in that conference if they manage to finish first or second.

I forgot all about Bluder. I didnt expect them to do much at all this season.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Re: POW/Y awards, I do think there seems to be a bit of bias against Stanford players. It could honestly be the legacy effect of the other teams being tired of being one of the 9 dwarves. Between us (and the World Wide Web), Stanford being Harvard-caliber good at academics and Baylor-caliber good at athletics irks a lot of fans of other schools, esp. in California. I think it's a milder version of the reason why everyone (including me!) hates on Notre Lame and Dook - it kinda feels like they shouldn't get to eat their cake and have it too. I think Stanford coaches and fans generally comport themselves much better (Tara looks like Mother Teresa next to MM and McCallie), but I know Cal, UCLA, and U$C fans all crave wins over Stanford more than just about any other school.

panda mad.gif

Reaction Score

McKeown did a great job with Northwestern this year. I think Lindsey Pulliam should get Big 10 POY.

Reaction Score
I think Lindsey Pulliam should get Big 10 POY.

I’m sticking with Doyle. She’s ahead in more categories including assists. She’s #1 in assists at 6.3 apg.

Pulliam’s FG% isn’t that good at 37.6. Doyle is sitting at 45.0.

Reaction Score
Here’s all of Duke’s conference losses.
vs WF 58-60 (no Odom)
@ LOU 55-60
@ VA 63-66
@ CLEM 58-62
vs NCSU 60-63

All very close games. 22 pts over 5 games away from being 14-0 in conference.

Reaction Score
I’m sticking with Doyle. She’s ahead in more categories including assists. She’s #1 in assists at 6.3 apg.

Pulliam’s FG% isn’t that good at 37.6. Doyle is sitting at 45.0.
Good points. It's a 4 player race including Kaila Charles and Naz Hillmon. I can see Doyle winning it.

Reaction Score
in the SEC Dawn and Vic seem to be the only valid options with Dawn getting it. Incredible year and are lighting it up with 3 true freshmen starters. State has had a better year than I expect given their loss to graduation and reliance on younger unknown players.

Before the Mitchell injury I thought Nikki definitely exceeded expectations for sure. She did an overall good job this year.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Had the PAC conversation with friends while waiting for the start of the Adia Barnes radio show. Believe it is between Barnes and Graves as others indicate, baring upsets of course. Graves for winning, Barnes for creating a winner. Could go either way. If Tara wins out, she probably gets some consideration. Don't see anyone else this year, although Close has done a good job.

Reaction Score
Here’s all of Duke’s conference losses.
vs WF 58-60 (no Odom)
@ LOU 55-60
@ VA 63-66
@ CLEM 58-62
vs NCSU 60-63

All very close games. 22 pts over 5 games away from being 14-0 in conference.
Well if you give Duke those wins, how many close ones they won could they have lost. Certainly ND (won by 3 but Duke was down 3 with 70 seconds left), FSU (won by 2 but was tied with 9 seconds left), and Va Tech (won by 5, but it took OT). So if those 3 wins were losses (which were a lot closer than their 5 actual ACC losses), their record would be 6-8. Of their 5 losses, the team Duke was the closest to winning was Virginia where their last lead was with 1 min 42 seconds left. For their other 4 losses, their last lead during the NC State game was with 2 minutes/14 seconds left, L'ville 7 minutes/15 seconds left, Wake 7 minutes/58 seconds left, and Duke never lead once in the Clemson loss.

Frankly I don't think you do the what-ifs. They're 9-5 which is still a pretty good record in a pretty bad ACC this year, especially with how bad ND has sucked. As for the ACC COY, I say give it to Brooks if Va Tech stays top 5. His team was picked to be 10th preseason by both the Coaches and the Blue Ribbon Panel. Of course I am very sad Muffet will not get ACC COY this year, but her recent tweet with Roy Williams at least means she taking it in stride. Hope they recover next year.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Seriously? On a thread about COY and with Duke on a current hot streak and JPM listed as an outside option, we get a long post about MM???? I am soooo hoping for 20 losses...

Reaction Score
Seriously? On a thread about COY and with Duke on a current hot streak and JPM listed as an outside option, we get a long post about MM???? I am soooo hoping for 20 losses...
I know you don't take the time to read. It was only the last sentence about MM and I attached a fun tweet about another HOF coach having a bad year. I assumed most folks would take that comment tongue in cheek. My post was mostly a response to Shades statement on Duke posssibly being 14-0 and I did recommended Brooks as ACC COY.

As for JPM, she will finally get her team farther than Muffet's in the NCAA tourney this year if Duke makes the tourney which is likely. Last time that happened was 2010. Been a while, but good for McCallie.

Reaction Score
I almost regurgitated my dinner with the pic a few posts above. Somebody should have warned me.
I am sure being a Duke fan with a pic of those 2 coaches would be difficult. You do have Coach K and as I note, JPM is having a better year than Muffet's this year. You must enjoy those 2 having such bad years. My delight was the ND men had to have a buzzer beater to keep William's record still as bad as Muffet's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom