Condolences on your loss | The Boneyard

Condolences on your loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was really looking forward to seeing you guys play Kentucky.

I'm afraid your players were looking ahead too much and thinking about that too.

Best of luck with Coach Calhoun's health. These are some very uncertain times. You are not the same program without him.

Reaction Score
I'm sure a lot of uconn fans were looking forward to it, although my guess is that a LOT of us are not in the least bit shocked that the team lost.

Iowa St. was a tough matchup- very seasoned group of young men (pretty sure their starters were 21, 21, 22, 23, 24 yrs old).

I think trying to figure out what the players were thinking is a futile activity. These kids just lacked something this year, both mental and physical.

Calhoun will hopefully be around another couple of years.

Good luck against KSU.

Reaction Score
I'm afraid your players were looking ahead too much and thinking about that too.
Nice post. This I disagree with. What they did for the first 8-12 minutes or so is what they have frequently done throughout the season--lose focus, lose their man. There are only so many games you can look ahead to until that can't be the reason anymore.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Jesus, Matt....our team lost, our dog didn't die.

The art of the message board faux-sympathy offering....

Good luck against Kansas State.

Yet another early flameout would be a crippling blow to your program and probably further demoralize the already-stricken residents of central New York. I can only hope that the myriad of scandals and looming departures facing your program won't drive Jim Boeheim into retirement and leave you in the shaky, sweaty hands of an unproven assistant coach.

I might be better at it.

Reaction Score

Yet another early flameout would be a crippling blow to your program and probably further demoralize the already-stricken residents of central New York. I can only hope that the myriad of scandals and looming departures facing your program won't drive Jim Boeheim into retirement and leave you in the shaky, sweaty hands of an unproven assistant coach.

I might be better at it.

Dont be bitter, it was a nice post. We did overlook ISU and now we're going home. Now, root for the conference - even the ones departing.

Reaction Score

See, I don't buy into this concept. Fans look ahead, the media looks ahead, I don't think the players actually do.

If they were thinking about Kentucky, their thoughts likely switched over to Iowa State as soon as Royce White dunked on the entire team on the first possession of the game.

Reaction Score
See, I don't buy into this concept. Fans look ahead, the media looks ahead, I don't think the players actually do.

If they were thinking about Kentucky, their thoughts likely switched over to Iowa State as soon as Royce White dunked on the entire team on the first possession of the game.
Or at least within 15 minutes of that dunk.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
how about some condolences for my hangover?

At least the brain cells that you slaughtered last night did not have to endure the board today. In a lot of ways, they were the lucky ones.

On the upside, if you keep killing brain cells, you'll find it easier to exist here.

Reaction Score

I might be better at it.

You sound like a green (or orange?) with envy Syracuse fan talking about UConn.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
animal_house_760.jpg

Reaction Score

I might be better at it.

Well, Fishy, I sincerely did want to see you guys play Kentucky, because I think you had the personnel to match up with them and maybe knock them out. Seriously. I have a couple friends who are UK fans, and it would have given me good ammunition for smack talking them.

And while you know that I hope UConn's program dies a slow lingering death in the new new new Big East, it's only out of jealousy at how well and how consistently Calhoun teams show up and win tournaments, while our team usually underachieves and blows golden opportunities. (And I do recognize that you guys are likely to end up in the ACC on the next turn of the crank ....)

Both our programs are facing tough times ahead. Granted, we were in Pittsburgh, but there was some simmering hatred among the neutrals out there - it wasn't just cheering for a generic upset. These last couple PR disasters have painted us as the new UNLV to some people, and I'm troubled by that.

On the other hand, I think that Boeheim is in better shape to stay around for a while and get past this mess than Calhoun is. I'll bet that they revisit the whole APR thing and change the rule that if a guy goes pro, it won't count against your score, as opposed to guys who flunk out.

I'll be surprised if UConn's post season ban actually happens, or if SU and half a dozen other high profile schools get kicked out of the 2014 tournament. I don't think television interests want that.

All of that said, I think it will be very tough for Calhoun to come back with the state of his health, the back problems will be difficult for travel purposes, and if the team faces a post-season ban, and Lamb and Drummond go pro - yikes. Is he really going to want to drag his body thru a season when he has a team like the ones he used to coach at Northeastern? That's a tall order. Plus you've got a new president and a new AD, and lots of press calling for him to retire (which, frankly, he should have done after Kemba delivered your third championship last year).

You guys are good fans. Your team has a great history. I have a personal feeling for UConn that rivals the strong feelings I felt about Georgetown, back when the big man was still coaching. For me, Calhoun has been the new JT II, the coach that I love to hate for the past 20 years - ever since Donyell Marshall.

You, as well, are a really class guy, and a hell of a smart observer of basketball. Best of luck to you all. One more go-round for the conference before we're off to the ACC. Happy summer.

Reaction Score

We had a tournament a few years ago, where we were in the Sweet 16 against Alabama, and a rematch with you guys awaited us in the Elite 8 with the Final Four on the line. We totally overlooked Alabama - who was not a very good team - and never made it to the rematch with you guys. I forget which year that was. In any event, I do think players overlook teams. These kids are only human, after all.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
We weren't looking ahead. It was the same game we have played 1000 times this year. We got caught flatfooted, dug ourselves a big hole and then dont have the offensive or defensive consistency to offset that.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You, as well, are a really class guy, and a hell of a smart observer of basketball. Best of luck to you all. One more go-round for the conference before we're off to the ACC. Happy summer.

No, I am not.

It's actually a shame that ABCD washed out - used to be nice to be able to catch up with you, Mason and co.

I have a great picture from the summer of '03 of Mason, Rob, Steve K., Joyce, Hopkins, you and some other Oranges in the stands at FDU perfectly surrounding a guy in a Jayhawk tee shirt.

Reaction Score
All of that said, I think it will be very tough for Calhoun to come back with the state of his health, the back problems will be difficult for travel purposes, and if the team faces a post-season ban, and Lamb and Drummond go pro - yikes. Is he really going to want to drag his body thru a season when he has a team like the ones he used to coach at Northeastern? That's a tall order. Plus you've got a new president and a new AD, and lots of press calling for him to retire (which, frankly, he should have done after Kemba delivered your third championship last year).
By all account the back surgery was a success. If there is a one year post season ban and Lamb and Drummond go pro Uconn may very well have a rough season. But they will have Boatright and Napier in the backcourt and that is a good place to start. And when they are eligible in 2014 and have maybe 4 to 6 scholarships available along with a brand new practice and training facility, they will probably have an extremely good recruiting class. Basically what we are talking about is not being in the NCAA Tourney for one year...that has happened to Uconn before.

Reaction Score
No, I am not.

It's actually a shame that ABCD washed out - used to be nice to be able to catch up with you, Mason and co.

I have a great picture from the summer of '03 of Mason, Rob, Steve K., Joyce, Hopkins, you and some other Oranges in the stands at FDU perfectly surrounding a guy in a Jayhawk tee shirt.

Would love to get a copy of that picture !!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I gotta dig it out - I have promised Joyce a copy for years.

Reaction Score
We had a tournament a few years ago, where we were in the Sweet 16 against Alabama, and a rematch with you guys awaited us in the Elite 8 with the Final Four on the line. We totally overlooked Alabama - who was not a very good team - and never made it to the rematch with you guys. I forget which year that was. In any event, I do think players overlook teams. These kids are only human, after all.

But what does it mean for a player to "overlook" their opponent? Did Lamb skip practice this week because he figured it didn't matter? Did Drummond conserve energy during the game because he was saving it for Saturday? Did Napier purposely miss 4 free throws because he was trying to trick the Kentucky players into fouling him next game?

Once the ball is in the air, I'm pretty sure both teams are just trying to beat each other.

Reaction Score
But what does it mean for a player to "overlook" their opponent? Did Lamb skip practice this week because he figured it didn't matter? Did Drummond conserve energy during the game because he was saving it for Saturday? Did Napier purposely miss 4 free throws because he was trying to trick the Kentucky players into fouling him next game?

Once the ball is in the air, I'm pretty sure both teams are just trying to beat each other.
Absolutely.

Reaction Score

You have seen your team play with greater focus, greater purpose, really fighting like dogs for loose balls, and you have seen them not play that way. Frequently, the lesser efforts come against teams that are totally beatable. I think overlooking a team you expect to beat is common, and you can see it plainly if you are watching. It's all about effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom