Conditioning?

For years Uconn was known to be in better shape than anyone they played even if they only played 6 or 7 players.Tonight Geno knew they had to push the ball to beat Baylor but couldn't because they looked exhausted in the 4th...And 8 assists on 20 made baskets? That's not Uconn basketball

Dove

Son of Wayne. Friend of Tony.
For years Uconn was known to be in better shape than anyone they played even if they only played 6 or 7 players.Tonight Geno knew they had to push the ball to beat Baylor but couldn't because they looked exhausted in the 4th...And 8 assists on 20 made baskets? That's not Uconn basketball
The focus on assists/baskets here on this board is funny. When you run teams out of the gym that stat looks phenominal. When you fry up a nothing burger then it doesn't.

The Huskies put up 69 shots and missed 49 of them. Many assists went down the drain. 49 missed shots. Gads!!

Christyn Williams was in full attack mode. Everyone else just wanted to pass the rock.

Hopefully we'll see these guys again in March.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Baylor is big and physical. It takes a lot out of a player’s legs when they’re banging bodies with such big players

Dove

@HuskyNan What was the deal with Cox? She ran like a sloth in the first half. By the 4th quarter she had a giddyup in her step.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
@HuskyNan What was the deal with Cox? She ran like a sloth in the first half. By the 4th quarter she had a giddyup in her step.
Cox is in her third game back after recovering from a foot injury. She was out quite a while and is probably still just getting back into game shape. Of course, team on their home court would give anyone some zip

Baylor is big and physical. It takes a lot out of a player’s legs when they’re banging bodies with such big players
Bingo! UConn needs more size and strength.... this was a David and Goliath match-up

But she bricked most shots then, unlike her shooting for the first 3 quarters.

Dove

But she bricked most shots then, unlike her shooting for the first 3 quarters.
Well, her mates got those rebounds. Still, she had energy in the end which cracked me up because in the 1st quarter she was in slooooooooooow moooooooooootion.

Well, her mates got those rebounds. Still, she had energy in the end which cracked me up because in the 1st quarter she was in slooooooooooow moooooooooootion.
Only her 3rd game back from a foot injury and she played 40 minutes. She was the real one that got away.

Can we all agree that Kim Mulkey's profile picture now has the longest streak in basketball?

1578637096168.png

Last edited:
I suspect a major factor in the Huskys lack of energy at the end of the game was that they were playing the first half of the game on adrenaline. This was a big game for them and they started off on fire with a lot of energy. The problem with playing on adrenaline is that it wears off and then your energy is depleted. This is why you do not want to get too fired up for the start of games. It's like distance runners that run too fast at the start of a race.

The reason UConn was gassed at the end of the game is because Baylor is a bigger/more physical team and they wear on you as the game goes on. During the decisive stretch in the 4th qtr Baylor absolutely dominated UConn in the paint and off the boards.

The focus on assists/baskets here on this board is funny. When you run teams out of the gym that stat looks phenominal. When you fry up a nothing burger then it doesn't.

The Huskies put up 69 shots and missed 49 of them. Many assists went down the drain. 49 missed shots. Gads!!

Christyn Williams was in full attack mode. Everyone else just wanted to pass the rock.

Hopefully we'll see these guys again in March.
The best made point on the board so far. The ball has to go through the hoop. Missed shots, missed free throws ain't good.

Even when they went into the half, it was really great that UConn stayed with Baylor. However, with all of those missed shots, they should have been in the lead. Hey, it is a game. Did not like the outcome. They got beat mentally and physically. Next time they come out against an AAC Team they will shoot the lights out.

Is it possible that she was conserving energy not knowing how much she had in the tank? When she got to the 4th, she could see the end and was able to increase energy output?

Cox is in her third game back after recovering from a foot injury. She was out quite a while and is probably still just getting back into game shape. Of course, team on their home court would give anyone some zip
If we had a top guard ( like Gabby ) playing where Kyla was last night, she would have driven around Cox like she was standing still. And the Baylor defense was spread, with the lane to the hoop wide open. The Baylor defenders cheated away from the paint, because they knew Kyla was not a threat to make moves such as that. Kyla does not have the speed or athleticism...and Baylor knew it. Cox was pretty much immobile and yet we could not take advantage. Baylor was, therefore, able to press our guards deep into three point land, without any regard for what was happening behind them ( nothing ). Even Dangerfield rarely had any space, and she shoots from near mid-court ( kidding of course ). Baylor schemed their defense to our players, and that was smart. And UCONN was again plagued by the lay-ups we fail to convert, the free throws we miss, and the horrid % of success on our threes. I won't even get into poor decision making and unforced errors. This is a dis-jointed, undisciplined team with a fair amount of top talent. But that talent often appears to
be " free-lancing," rather than playing to an effective scheme. They are playing like a pick-up game in the school yard. That will only work in most of our AAC games.

If you look at Baylors line up and how many played and how many scored the whole UConn/Baylor thing tilts.
Uconn had 7 player 3 with mininal experience and Div 1 PT. Baylor used at least 11. when 1000 minutes are used by 5.5 players on one side and 1000 used by 11 players on the other. you get to see why Uconn's legs were worn in the 4th quarter. They are not robot they are HUMAN KIDS.
3 players carried the scoring for 7, ridiculous 11 players for Baylor handled the sccoring. All the most wonderfully Conditioned athletes cannot over come that. Give credit where it was do---Uconn's 3 stayed with Baylor 11 for 30 minutes ---NOTHING SHORT OF AMAZING. BAD ASSES OF THE GAME WALKER, DANGERFIELD ,WILLIAMS. AMAZING.!

If we had a top guard ( like Gabby ) playing where Kyla was last night, she would have driven around Cox like she was standing still. And the Baylor defense was spread, with the lane to the hoop wide open. The Baylor defenders cheated away from the paint, because they knew Kyla was not a threat to make moves such as that. Kyla does not have the speed or athleticism...and Baylor knew it. Cox was pretty much immobile and yet we could not take advantage. Baylor was, therefore, able to press our guards deep into three point land, without any regard for what was happening behind them ( nothing ). Even Dangerfield rarely had any space, and she shoots from near mid-court ( kidding of course ). Baylor schemed their defense to our players, and that was smart. And UCONN was again plagued by the lay-ups we fail to convert, the free throws we miss, and the horrid % of success on our threes. I won't even get into poor decision making and unforced errors. This is a dis-jointed, undisciplined team with a fair amount of top talent. But that talent often appears to
be " free-lancing," rather than playing to an effective scheme. They are playing like a pick-up game in the school yard. That will only work in most of our AAC games.

[/QUOTE]
HOT DAMN! AND YOU ARE A LONG TIME FAN? It is the first of JANUARY WITH 3 TALENTED KIDS and 4 others with talent with minimal exposure in Div ONE WCBB. Yes there were errors (Baylor made their share) and Layup is a continuing problem. However, and it is no ones fault, 2 years ago the recruiting wasn't good, last year it was better. but AS A LONGTIME FAN you know it takes at least 2 years to make a Div one Uconn type kid into a real player. Geno/Uconn does not have tha luxury this year. They are what they are an they will be in the FF come April. Ania, Aubrey, Olivia need many hours of coaching and now coach has film to show them and say: This is what you did--this is what you should have done--coaching, teaching. Geno hasn't forgotten how to coach but he didn't have the recruits from 3 years ago to build this team around.
Yep, I'm angry but not at this team. I'M ANGRY WITH SHORT TERM, MID TERM , NO TERM OR LONG TIME FANS THAT ARE NOT CHEERING THIS TEAM WHEN AT LEAST 3 OF THEM EARNED YOUR PRAISE --- rather than ---YOUR FINAL PARAGRAPH ABOVE (SORRY THE HIGHLIGHT GOT STUCK AND i CAN'T TURN IT OFF)

If you look at Baylors line up and how many played and how many scored the whole UConn/Baylor thing tilts.
Uconn had 7 player 3 with mininal experience and Div 1 PT. Baylor used at least 11. when 1000 minutes are used by 5.5 players on one side and 1000 used by 11 players on the other. you get to see why Uconn's legs were worn in the 4th quarter. They are not robot they are HUMAN KIDS.
3 players carried the scoring for 7, ridiculous 11 players for Baylor handled the sccoring. All the most wonderfully Conditioned athletes cannot over come that. Give credit where it was do---Uconn's 3 stayed with Baylor 11 for 30 minutes ---NOTHING SHORT OF AMAZING. BAD ASSES OF THE GAME WALKER, DANGERFIELD ,WILLIAMS. AMAZING.!
11 players?? Baylor played 8 players just like UConn. And both benches played 28 minutes. 7 pts for Baylor's bench and 3 for UConn.
Unless the ESPN box score is incorrect.

The best made point on the board so far. The ball has to go through the hoop. Missed shots, missed free throws ain't good.

Even when they went into the half, it was really great that UConn stayed with Baylor. However, with all of those missed shots, they should have been in the lead. Hey, it is a game. Did not like the outcome. They got beat mentally and physically. Next time they come out against an AAC Team they will shoot the lights out.
We all agree---Layups!! We know the problems. This is a day to honor the effort 3 kids made for 30 minutes against 11 Baylor kids. The AAC is a terrible place to get the experience Uconn needs but it's a start.
They got beaten by a L----o---n---g---e---r--- BENCH and a team taller in nearly every position. Talent didn't beat them, Effort didn't beat them. 11 against 3 beat them.

11 players?? Baylor played 8 players just like UConn. And both benches played 28 minutes. 7 pts for Baylor's bench and 3 for UConn.
Unless the ESPN box score is incorrect.
I look at the Uconn site STATS not ESPN the home team stats while the game was playing. -ok--say our are right that was still 8 against 3. not a good thing by any stretch of the imagination.

Starting guards Landrum and Richards only scored four points between them. So I would say it was pretty even

Last edited:
Be angry all you want. The truth is hard. And you cannot deny that there was a lot of free lancing going on
to ( largely) no avail. I know how long it takes to develop freshman at UCONN, except for players like Turasi, Moore, and even kia Nurse. I know about the recruiting issues. I have confidence in Geno, CD and all the coaches. But this team will not make the FF just because you are cheering louder than I am. If you want to make excuses for every flaw you saw yesterday, be my guest. I report them because I need to vent and have no other outlet. Geno will correct what is correctable. We will sail through the AAC again, but reconnect, please, when we play South Carolina and Oregon. I want us to win it all just as much as you do. But I am not afraid to be realistic.

We all agree---Layups!! We know the problems. This is a day to honor the effort 3 kids made for 30 minutes against 11 Baylor kids. The AAC is a terrible place to get the experience Uconn needs but it's a start.
They got beaten by a L----o---n---g---e---r--- BENCH and a team taller in nearly every position. Talent didn't beat them, Effort didn't beat them. 11 against 3 beat them.
I think you are being unfair when you suggest that Baylor does not have top talent. They won the damn championship last year, remember? In many cases yesterday, they were faster than us. Not just taller.

I noticed that Baylor had a couple of adult males at the end of their bench. They were too old to be managers so I looked them up on their roster and identified them as their "Director of Athletic Performance" and the athletic trainer. I only see college aged managers at the end of UConn's bench. I don't see a "Director of Athletic Performance" which I believe handles all strength and conditioning or even our trainer. I would see Rosie Rangle all the time.

I think even bigger than lack of height what has hurt UConn against the Baylor's, Miss States, ND's of the world is lack of physical strength. If our competition has their strength coach traveling with them everywhere across the country and we don't that may explain some things. This may be where Power 5 money is a disadvantage for us.