Conditioning: Has UConn lost its edge? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Conditioning: Has UConn lost its edge?

Reaction Score
This is a classic Boneyard thread. One poster makes a (questionable) statement of fact, and then multiple posters jump in to explain one this situation (one unsupported by any evidence) has come to be. Amazing.

Reaction Score
When you play 5 or 6 players for 35 to 40 minutes in stressful game after game, you better be in good shape! Definitely a factor in recent FF losses, but not the biggest one imo.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
And I would like to see "fill in the blank" get a few more minutes to spell "fill in the blank" because our conditioning appears to have gone down and because, well, every thread needs us Keyboard Coaches to be able to tell Geno how to coach because his coaching skills have gone down. Head bang :rolleyes:
Never question the coaching skill but maybe the methods? No more screaming in your face Geno. Now we get Geno light. Maturity on his part or a sign of the times? I think mostly the latter.

Reaction Score
This is a classic Boneyard thread. One poster makes a (questionable) statement of fact, and then multiple posters jump in to explain one this situation (one unsupported by any evidence) has come to be. Amazing.
I thought this was a friendly blog site about everything and anything related to UConn women's basketball. Why wouldn't the level of conditioning of this team be a provocative topic for a bunch of UConn fans to discuss? What kind of data should we be prepared to present? Are we just exchanging ideas or observations about the team or are we trying a case in a court of law. Maybe you should lay out the proper standards that everyone should adhere to so we all know.

Reaction Score
I guess I fail to see the connection between strength & conditioning and Rosemary Raigle?
As I mentioned in the original post, Rosemary Ragle was the head athletic trainer. She was not a strength and conditioning coach. Although Ragle’s specific duties are opaque to me, I know that in general, athletic trainers are an integral part of the conditioning process.

For instance, according to the National Athletic Trainers’ Association (NATA), one of the duties of athletic trainers is to “Design and implement conditioning programs (flexibility, strength, cardiovascular fitness) to reduce the risk of injury and illness.” (item 2, page 9).

According to this job description, an athletic trainer is involved in creating exercise and nutrition programs for athletes.

I therefore assume that Ragle was an integral part of the design and implementation of exercise programs for UConn’s women’s basketball team members.

I also believe that both Rosemary Ragle and Amanda Kimball played important roles in UConn’s national championships. Kimball joined the UConn staff in 2004, and Ragle was the athletic trainer for 10 of UConn’s women’s basketball national championships.

Last, my observation that the Huskies haven’t won a national championship since Ragle left the team was not original. It was something I read in this article by Carl Adamec.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
As I mentioned in the original post, Rosemary Ragle was the head athletic trainer. She was not a strength and conditioning coach. Although Ragle’s specific duties are opaque to me, I know that in general, athletic trainers are an integral part of the conditioning process.

For instance, according to the National Athletic Trainers’ Association (NATA), one of the duties of athletic trainers is to “Design and implement conditioning programs (flexibility, strength, cardiovascular fitness) to reduce the risk of injury and illness.” (item 2, page 9).

According to this job description, an athletic trainer is involved in creating exercise and nutrition programs for athletes.

I therefore assume that Ragle was an integral part of the design and implementation of exercise programs for UConn’s women’s basketball team members.

I also believe that both Rosemary Ragle and Amanda Kimball played important roles in UConn’s national championships. Kimball joined the UConn staff in 2004, and Ragle was the athletic trainer for 10 of UConn’s women’s basketball national championships.

Last, my observation that the Huskies haven’t won a national championship since Ragle left the team was not original. It was something I read in this article by Carl Adamec.

Perhaps unrelated, UConn has not won since Stewie left the team. :eek:

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I was listening to a podcast with Steve Nash, and he said his coach in Phoenix always told them to play faster so they wouldn't get tired. Physical, slow play wears players down more than an up-tempo style where there is more ball movement and less bumping, posting up, etc.

I think it's a combination of the team's style of play this year, and that other teams have caught up to them in terms of conditioning.

Also, Rosemary Ragle had nothing to do with conditioning. She dealt with injuries. Amanda Kimball is very highly regarded. UConn’s Recipe for Success Is to Run, Run and Run Some More

Reaction Score
To me it's a matter of science and math. The games where it's the most notable are deep in the tourney and against our toughest opponents. Geno tends to significantly shorten the bench sometimes 7 or even 6 deep. This increases the amount of minutes for everybody and, regardless of condition, takes its toll.
Trying not to be snide but check your last sentence, UConn has been to the finals
11 times and despite them being run down, they have won all of them. Cmon

Reaction Score
I think it's wrong to claim that prior championship teams were less fatigued. To me the point is that those teams executed despite being fatigued. That, to me, is a key goal of UConn's practices, to fatigue the players and then demand focus and execution. That isn't accomplished quickly and with a current roster loaded with underclassmen it is not surprising that they aren't to that point yet. A lot of it has to do with mental toughness.
The other factor I see is how inefficiently this squad expends it's energy, especially on defense. Too much energy is being used reacting to defensive mistakes. Often this year the team leaves opponents unguarded and we see 2 UConn defenders rushing to guard them, usually too late. When UConn's switching man-to-man was at it's best that never happened and players handed off ball handlers and rotated like a Swiss watch. When the defense is efficient a lot less energy is expended. I'm still sure that we will see a return to that sort of defensive efficiency. If not this year then next.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
“Questionable statement of fact”? In this thread?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I’m not gettting the objection to the thread. Seems like a viable topic for discussion.

For the record, I think the team’s conditioning is fine but have no objection to others offering a differing opinion. I do wish people would give the “keyboard coaches” thing a rest, though. No need to call someone a name for having an opposing opinion

Reaction Score

Athletic Trainers at the D1 level are primarily responsible for taping and stretching, treating minor injuries, after game recovery, and overseeing of the rehab of players. They have almost nothing to do with the strength and conditioning of the players.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Not gettting the objection to the thread. Seems like a viable topic for discussion.

For the record, think the team’s conditioning is fine but have no objection to others offering a differing opinion. I do wish people would give the “keyboard coaches” thing a rest, though. No need to call someone a name for having an opposing opinion
I will stop. I admit to using that term (often :(). I read it in a post and thought it was humorous but I was wrong in thinking that way.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Perhaps unrelated, UConn has not won since Stewie left the team. :eek:
Athletic Trainers at the D1 level are primarily responsible for taping and stretching, treating minor injuries, after game recovery, and overseeing of the rehab of players. They have almost nothing to do with the strength and conditioning of the players.
As the trainer Rosemary was world class at getting injured players to return to the court on the shortest timeline possible which often involved conditioning and rehab. Nutrition and proper hydration were her other areas of emphasis. UCONN players have a hydration routine for game day that starts once they get up.

Reaction Score
Two thoughts.
1. Other teams are catching up. This is a really easy way to start the process of getting better. If you don't have the talent, at least you can be well-conditioned
2. When UConn isn't doing well, we all naturally look for reasons. This one, however, is a reach.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Meghan Culmo made an interesting comment during a recent broadcast on SNY. She said that UConn has one of the best strength and conditioning coaches in the country, Amanda Kimball, who helps give the women’s basketball team a competitive edge over opponents.

UConn clearly has some well-conditioned athletes. My impression, however, is that UConn has lost some of the relative advantage in conditioning that it enjoyed in the past. When Rosemary Ragle was the head athletic trainer, the UConn women had a qualitative advantage over most of UConn’s opponents. The Huskies could often run their opponents right out of the gym. UConn’s advantage was particularly noticeable in the second halves of games.

This season, the Huskies have struggled in the fourth quarter of some games, most notably in the Baylor game, when the Huskies ran out of gas in the last five minutes as Baylor pulled away. In the DePaul game, UConn started the second half with a 26-point lead, but the Huskies tired in the fourth quarter; DePaul pulled to within 4 points before losing by 10.

Although there are a number of factors involved, including increased parity in collegiate women’s basketball and UConn’s lack of a transcendent player like Breanna Stewart or Maya Moore in recent years, it is interesting that the Huskies have not won a national championship since Rosemary Ragle left the team in 2016.

Has UConn’s overall conditioning deteriorated since Ragle left, or has the conditioning of other teams improved? I think it’s both. One thing is clear: Baylor had more gas left in its tank than UConn did at the end of their recent game.

This assumes that Amanda did not join the WBB program until 2016. While I cannot find exactly when she did, there are mentions of her working with Steph Dolson as far back as 2014 (Important Piece Of Puzzle: Amanda Kimball Keeps UConn Women Fit) , and she did join UCONN in 2004.

Reaction Score
I’m not gettting the objection to the thread. Seems like a viable topic for discussion.

For the record, I think the team’s conditioning is fine but have no objection to others offering a differing opinion. I do wish people would give the “keyboard coaches” thing a rest, though. No need to call someone a name for having an opposing opinion

Respectfully, I did not call anyone a name. My attempt with my post was to express bemusement, and not frustration or disrespect (probably should have used an emoji). And while everyone is entitled to their opinion, often these opinions are based on the thinnest of factual evidence. To cite some recent examples, Crystal does not turn over the ball more frequently than other UConn point guards (best A:TO ratio as compared to those already on the wall), Baylor did not use it's substitutes more liberally than UConn did and, my favorite, UConn did not have "less than stellar" seasons the past three years (unless going 72-2 over two years, both losses in OT, is less than stellar).

If I caused offense, I apologize. I prefer humor over an attack when responding to a thread. Sorry if I missed.:confused:

Last edited:

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Meanwhile Ms. Kimball does not accompany our team to the road games and was sitting in the stands for our home game?

I think I've attended more away games than most here. I won't say that Amanda is at all of them, but I often see her at away games. I was just at the UCF game and saw her there.

Reaction Score
As the trainer Rosemary was world class at getting injured players to return to the court on the shortest timeline possible which often involved conditioning and rehab. Nutrition and proper hydration were her other areas of emphasis. UCONN players have a hydration routine for game day that starts once they get up.

No doubt about that, she just had nothing to do with the strength and conditioning of the team.

Reaction Score
I agree that athletic trainers at the D1 level are involved in the activities you mentioned. Although conditions vary among universities, my understanding is that some trainers also have input into strength and conditioning exercises for rehabilitating injured athletes.

According to a 2011 NY Times article, Rosemary Ragle was also involved in injury prevention, specifically, in teaching UConn’s WBB players how to land to help avoid ACL injuries.

Rosemary Ragle’s role is secondary to the main issue I raised in the original post, namely, that the conditioning gap between UConn and other teams appears to have narrowed. Indeed, some schools, Baylor in particular, may have surpassed the Huskies in overall conditioning.

Some people evidently disagree with that opinion, and that is fine.

Reaction Score
This assumes that Amanda did not join the WBB program until 2016. While I cannot find exactly when she did, there are mentions of her working with Steph Dolson as far back as 2014 (Important Piece Of Puzzle: Amanda Kimball Keeps UConn Women Fit) , and she did join UCONN in 2004.
???

When I wrote the original post, I was aware that Amanda Kimball joined the staff in 2004. I did not state or imply that she did not join the team until 2016. Kimball and Ragle overlapped for many years, and as I said in another post, I believe both played important roles in (many of) UConn’s national championships.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Two thoughts.
1. Other teams are catching up. This is a really easy way to start the process of getting better. If you don't have the talent, at least you can be well-conditioned
2. When UConn isn't doing well, we all naturally look for reasons. This one, however, is a reach.
And see, there's the problem (not necessarily you tom, but there seem to be quite a few who believe this). How is UCONN not "doing well"? UCONN is 16-1, beating teams by 23+ points a game. Been ranked in the top 5 all season, with a little time at #1 and now presently #3. UCONN isn't only doing well, it's doing damn good. Considering what UCONN lost coming into this year (a couple of 2/3 time AA's, the most prolific scoring duo in UCONN's history AND not having Westbrook for this year), things are going quite a bit better than "well".

Come on people appreciate what you got. When we look like TN the past few years or ND this year, then we can say things aren't going so well.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
i was too caught up watching the game. Can someone help me out here? How was the UCONN strength and conditioning in the 2nd half of the Tennessee game tonight?
1579831349600.gif

Reaction Score
I agree that athletic trainers at the D1 level are involved in the activities you mentioned. Although conditions vary among universities, my understanding is that some trainers also have input into strength and conditioning exercises for rehabilitating injured athletes.

According to a 2011 NY Times article, Rosemary Ragle was also involved in injury prevention, specifically, in teaching UConn’s WBB players how to land to help avoid ACL injuries.

Rosemary Ragle’s role is secondary to the main issue I raised in the original post, namely, that the conditioning gap between UConn and other teams appears to have narrowed. Indeed, some schools, Baylor in particular, may have surpassed the Huskies in overall conditioning.

Some people evidently disagree with that opinion, and that is fine.

After tonight’s game against Tenn I don’t believe that we have lost some conditioning. We wore Tenn down in the 4 th quarter to the extent that they could barely make a basket.

Reaction Score
Trying not to be snide but check your last sentence, UConn has been to the finals
11 times and despite them being run down, they have won all of them. Cmon

Uh, yeah...OK. Glad you took me out of context...Thanks!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom