Condition of the field at the Rent | The Boneyard

Condition of the field at the Rent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From the Towson game I have noticed HUGE divots coming up all over the field. I remember when the fungus problem a few years ago wrecked similiar havoc. The one thing about Memorial Stadium was the condition of the field...Former UCONN and NFL TE Brian Kozlowski once to,d me it was the nicest grass field he had ever played on in his college & NFL career. The field at Rentschler was really nice until the fungus issue..Edsall called for Field Turf at that time. Global has their work cut out for them to get this problem solved.

Reaction Score
They really need to consider field turf. It was bad out there last night. I know someone will say you can't do it because of soccer, but flock socker.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Last night notice the grounds crew working on divots around the 35 yard line towards the scoreboard end of the field. Hope it can be patched up before USF.

Reaction Score
Watching game right now (dvr)..field looks HORRIBLE!

Reaction Score
The field was fine three years ago. There was no need to re-sod it, but they did, and now it sucks.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The field was really bad last night. It was really the first time I, too, thought that the field turf might be a better option.

Reaction Score
That sod they used came from NJ and if I am not mistaken from fields with more sand than you would want in a sports field. Probably good for residences or golf courses but not where people run and stop repeatedly with cleats. Sod fields with more clay in the soil would be better suited for football. I have been seeing the horrible condition that field is in and cringe. Guys trying to cut only to have what obviously was recently laid sections of sod come up. The roots haven't had a chance to knead themselves into the existing soil. Still, the field needs to be something other than turf grass up here in New England. In the long run it would be more cost effective to have an artificial surface. UConn needs every advantage it can get and the last thing that should be an obstacle is the field they play on.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I thought the field and turf looked GREAT until last night... obviously, last night it was noticably coming up in clumps... did I just not notice it the first 2 games?

Reaction Score
That sod they used came from NJ and if I am not mistaken from fields with more sand than you would want in a sports field. Probably good for residences or golf courses but not where people run and stop repeatedly with cleats. Sod fields with more clay in the soil would be better suited for football. I have been seeing the horrible condition that field is in and cringe. Guys trying to cut only to have what obviously was recently laid sections of sod come up. The roots haven't had a chance to knead themselves into the existing soil. Still, the field needs to be something other than turf grass up here in New England. In the long run it would be more cost effective to have an artificial surface. UConn needs every advantage it can get and the last thing that should be an obstacle is the field they play on.

you had me at NJ.....

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The commentators spoke about the problems with the turf last night. It has something to do with this past summer's extreme heat making conditions such that the roots of the grass couldn't grow as deeply as usual.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
That field is our friend against faster teams. Don't underestimate the impact it had on Michigan speed.

Reaction Score
The commentators spoke about the problems with the turf last night. It has something to do with this past summer's extreme heat making conditions such that the roots of the grass couldn't grow as deeply as usual.

That sounds like just another excuse from the group that year-in-year-out manages to screw up the Rent field, some years worse than others. Remember the one year where they admitted they put down grass killer "inadvertently"? There's plenty of golf courses around Hartford that are in excellent shape this year. How about contracting with a good golf course superintendent for one year and see how it goes? Can't be any worse than the system now in place.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
If a horse can't eat it, they shouldn't play on it.

Reaction Score
FYI, not sure it totally relates to this year's Rent turf, but it was a tough year for golf greens due to the weather. Still, turf being pulled up shouldn't happen. If my memory serves me correctly, Gillette Stadium had a problem with their grass field and changed to Field Turf. Then they tore up their first Field Turf and replaced it with a soccer approved Field Turf, so the Rent could go to Field Turf and still host soccer games.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well, the genius's at Busch stadium allowed two FCS teams to tear up the Cardinals outfield a week before the playoffs started.

WTF? is up with that?

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_6896961f-d39c-5f97-bff3-87b015c8dd82.html

A team two days from its season-ending seven-game home stand and less than two weeks from another postseason experience invited two collegiate herds to play a Football Championship Series game on Baseball Heaven’s bluegrass. Two schools with total enrollment of 30,546 drew 14,618 for the first-ever football game at new Busch Stadium, which marketing types promote as baseball’s equivalent of hallowed ground.
Kickoff was still an hour away when Findley noticed turf coming up as linemen went through drills. Even the kickers’ sideline ballet rubbed bare spots.
By the time Abernathy and Findley took their halftime tour, the turf looked as though it had staged a cattle drive followed by a rodeo capped by a monster truck pull. (In hindsight, such an all-inclusive extravaganza would have generated a wider revenue stream while exacting no more damage.) Findley at one point stooped to lift a 2-foot-long grass pelt. He didn’t tap it down or use it to replace damage elsewhere. He merely carried it with him as a souvenir from a worst-case scenario come true.

Reaction Score
Hello????

http://www.turf.uconn.edu/

UConn Turf Programs are designed to provide students basic and applied knowledge in turfgrass science and management. Students completing the turfgrass science programs can apply their skills in the management of residential and commercial lawns, golf courses, athletic and recreational fields, parks, sod farms, roadsides, inland and coastal erosion control sites, and other areas where grasses are utilized. Baccalaureate students have the opportunity to pursue graduate degree programs.

Reaction Score
Hello????

http://www.turf.uconn.edu/

UConn Turf Programs are designed to provide students basic and applied knowledge in turfgrass science and management. Students completing the turfgrass science programs can apply their skills in the management of residential and commercial lawns, golf courses, athletic and recreational fields, parks, sod farms, roadsides, inland and coastal erosion control sites, and other areas where grasses are utilized. Baccalaureate students have the opportunity to pursue graduate degree programs.

THIS:
here is where Global Spectrum should take the bull by the horns & ingratiate itself with UConn. Sign a contract with the College of Agriculture to supervise & care take the playing surface at the RENT. Have the UConn turf program do the day to day management & maintenance of the field. Memorial Stadium's playing surface looked like the Taj Mahal compared to this disaster. It was comical watching both the groundskeepers & the refereeing staff stomping divots back into place during timeouts. It looked like a perverse satire of
Michael Flatley's River Dance.:confused:

Reaction Score
Didnt UconnInsider(?) post something about the Rent going to Field Turf next year? I recall seeing something about doing a 50 yard line logo similar to that of LSU.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

They have a sports marketing major, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom