Complaining about Hamilton? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Complaining about Hamilton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
The game changed when Nolan, Calhoun and faces came in. SMU, then when on that run and that line up could never recover.

Reaction Score
I take it that you haven't watched many games this year.

I spent like 7 minutes trying to come up with a polite response. Just watch more basketball. Legitimately, our first two options are Boat, the third is a DHam iso and the 4th option is something like a T Sam, Omar, or RP iso, and that's why we struggle.

Yeah, I haven't gotten to get to see much due to my schedule and lack of getting the games out here...and I know we're relying a lot on DHam. But see the post of mine before this one. It's a bad game, it's not the end of the world.

Reaction Score
Posters who think DHam isn't the real deal don't know basketball. The kid has the skills he just needs to learn to become more of a scoring threat. His floaters aren't falling but his dribble has gotten so much better. When Dham was out of the game and there was only RB to handle the ball SMU made their big run to blow out UCONN. Not sure what KO was thinking keeping Dham out of the game at that key sequence. KO has been horrible this year in my mind. No passion and too stubborn on keeping bad lineups that don't work out there.

Reaction Score
No passion and too stubborn on keeping bad lineups that don't work out there.

What's the good lineup? You make this observation as if there are a lot of choices. With all due respect to Superjohn's eye for talent, there isn't a heck of a lot of it on this squad.

Reaction Score
What's the good lineup? You make this observation as if there are a lot of choices. With all due respect to Superjohn's eye for talent, there isn't a heck of a lot of it on this squad.

The small ball lineup looked pretty good IMO. I realize that D Ham got into foul trouble eventually, but I do really like that identity with him as the 4.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I haven't gotten to get to see much due to my schedule and lack of getting the games out here...and I know we're relying a lot on DHam. But see the post of mine before this one. It's a bad game, it's not the end of the world.

I respect that honesty. Aren't you at school in Cinci?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Whoever is complaining about Hamilton is missing the fact that he's next in the line of Ray, Rip, Caron, and Rudy.

Reaction Score
Whoever is complaining about Hamilton is missing the fact that he's next in the line of Ray, Rip, Caron, and Rudy.

I distinctly remember people complaining just the same about Kemba and Shabazz back in the day when they were immature basketball talents. If there is anything I have learned in the years on the BY, is that today's complaining has little influence on what happens in the future.

Reaction Score
I hate to sound self-righteous, but if you don't see the talent and upside in Daniel Hamilton, then you don't know much about basketball.

Reaction Score
Hamilton was able to beat his man at will, rarely turned it over penetrating, and got himself good open looks from midrange. A great improvement for him, and the only guy not named boat who was able to create for himself. If he could have hit a few of those open 8 footers he would have had 20-25 points.

He really needs to work on consistency on his midrange shot. He can free himself up for it, he just needs to drop it consistently. I thought dham showed some real improvement driving to the basket and getting good looks last night.

He was also very aggressive on offense and seemed to play hard the entire game last night. A very good sign for him. In the past he has had a tendency to disappear when his shot isn't falling.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm cool just consistently complaining about Nolan.
I watched about a 2 minute stretch in the 1st half, of tonight's game, :eek:
where Nolan Flopped, didn't box out, didn't guard anyone, didn't even try to get a rebound, and turned the ball over.
If we had a quality player getting Nolan's minutes this year.
we would prolly have 3 more Wins.

Yeah it was all on Nolan's minutes :eek:. Clueless

Reaction Score
People who throw DHam under the bus just aren't that knowledgable period. Does he have things he needs to do better? Hell yeah but "lots of hole"? Funny

Reaction Score
I'm not worried about efficiency and D-Ham. We know he is a good shooter, 37% from 3 as a freshman is very nice. FT% before February was .563, and he is shooting .769 this month. Improvement.

His low FG% is because of his drives where he either lobs it to Amida, goes for the layup, a floater, or stops for a jumper. I think his problem is that both he and the defense have no clue what he wants to do once he commits to the drive. Usually has 1 or 2 trees in his face when he's going up to shoot as well. And even when he does miss, he gets his own rebound seemingly 20% of the time, its incredible. Last night when he missed a bunny, got the rebound, and then kicked it out for an Omar three was Daniel Hamilton in a nutshell.

FG%/3P%/FT% for some notable, recent Huskies their freshman year:
Boat: .421/.377/.690
Kemba: .470/.271/.715
Shabazz: .370/.326/.771
Lamb: .487/.368/.797
D-Ham: .389/.370/.622

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Chin Diesel said:
You need to look up the word player. Kid is one.

We will see, because he isn't one right now. You can't point to three plays last night where he received the ball made a decisive move to the hoop, drive or shoot, that resulted in 2 pts, hoop or FT's.

I can point to several poor shots (zero chance hucks) that resulted in empty trips, a few turnovers that just shouldn't happen and a bunch of flat footed indifference to rebounding. Add in a very awkward handle and he has a lot to work on. He's athletic with a great physique. He has some potential, but Omar had potential after his freshman year and we are still waiting. He needs to be better than Daniels to live up to the hype.

Reaction Score
We will see, because he isn't one right now. You can't point to three plays last night where he received the ball made a decisive move to the hoop, drive or shoot, that resulted in 2 pts, hoop or FT's.

I can point to several poor shots (zero chance hucks) that resulted in empty trips, a few turnovers that just shouldn't happen and a bunch of flat footed indifference to rebounding. Add in a very awkward handle and he has a lot to work on. He's athletic with a great physique. He has some potential, but Omar had potential after his freshman year and we are still waiting. He needs to be better than Daniels to live up to the hype.

To compare Omar and DHam is beyond lame. One has huge upside, obvious next level potential the other was a clutch shooter his freshman year at best. Please, this whole reply wreaks of ignorance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
People who throw DHam under the bus just aren't that knowledgable period. Does he have things he needs to do better? Hell yeah but "lots of hole"? Funny

Last night we saw DHam with an aggression we haven't seen yet this year.

Unfortunate that the team fell apart, because it was a sight to see him following up his shots and ripping away offensive rebounds on misses.

He look determined. I think the team looked determined, until the tidal wave of ineptitude swept everything away. It really started down low.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but 13 points is not impressive when it's on 3-11 shooting. He looked awful on the floor tonight. He had open looks and missed. He took incredible awful shots and missed. He was beat multiple times on the defensive end. Tonight was not a good performance by Hamilton no matter how you spin it.
No one other than Boat could create anything. DHam missed a lot of makable shots and forced some as well.

Just seems as DHam and Purvis go, so does UConn. Boat is a given, but he needs a Robin and an Alfred.

Reaction Score
Can't agree on DHam slams. The kid is a 6'7" swing who has been tasked to be Boats 2nd ball handler quite often and other teams know it. It's obvious to most and the opposing teams as well they need to guard and double when he gets to the lane yet he gets there. He makes mistakes but has cut down on them and his ceiling is huge. Needs to finish better and play within himself but much like Boat, when you're the 2nd best potential scorer on the floor for a team like UConn, those are the only 2 who can kill you. Rodney on occasion too but it's not going to be his ball handling or rebounding. DHam has been our best rebounder while being tasked to do a bit more than he should have to at UConn as a frosh, he needs some rope!

Reaction Score
SubbaBub said:
We will see, because he isn't one right now. You can't point to three plays last night where he received the ball made a decisive move to the hoop, drive or shoot, that resulted in 2 pts, hoop or FT's. I can point to several poor shots (zero chance hucks) that resulted in empty trips, a few turnovers that just shouldn't happen and a bunch of flat footed indifference to rebounding. Add in a very awkward handle and he has a lot to work on. He's athletic with a great physique. He has some potential, but Omar had potential after his freshman year and we are still waiting. He needs to be better than Daniels to live up to the hype.

If we had lost to St Joe's, I'd say that Hamilton is already better than Daniels was. But DD found another level against ISU and Florida that Hamilton hasn't gotten to yet for complete games. He's shown flashes of being able to be that dominant - but not a 40-minute game.

Hamilton is already a better rebounder, passer and ball handler than DD ever was. He's also shown the ability to be a 20 ppg guy once he gets it all together - he's streaky on 3s, his ability to create in the midrange was awesome earlier in the year and hasn't been there lately, and he can drive to the rim but hasn't mastered finishing through contact. It isn't like he can't do some of those things and he's one-dimensional. He's got it all in him.

And that's not even taking into account that DD was getting some DNP-CDs at this stage of his career and got better. Hamilton hasn't even gotten to his first offseason yet.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Can't agree on DHam slams. The kid is a 6'7" swing who has been tasked to be Boats 2nd ball handler quite often and other teams know it. It's obvious to most and the opposing teams as well they need to guard and double when he gets to the lane yet he gets there. He makes mistakes but has cut down on them and his ceiling is huge. Needs to finish better and play within himself but much like Boat, when you're the 2nd best potential scorer on the floor for a team like UConn, those are the only 2 who can kill you. Rodney on occasion too but it's not going to be his ball handling or rebounding. DHam has been our best rebounder while being tasked to do a bit more than he should have to at UConn as a frosh, he needs some rope!
Love DHam. I won't say categorically he will be a superstar. Seen other players on teams who looked really great freshman year, peak their first season and then regress. So I'm not 100% on the bandwagon. But I'm 99% on the band wagon.

My major criticism of DHam's play isn't on the offensive side of things. I don't care if he goes 9-9 or 3-9. He's got the entire package and players like that should be encouraged to take shots, not discouraged. In fact I love his elevation of determination the past several games. It's on the defensive end that I feel he needs significant improvement. He rebounds well but he is a freshman when it comes to playing defense. It impacts the game detrimentally. Nothing against DHam. I'm giving upper class men slack.

It's just that in the entirety of pointing out deficiencies of this team I think DHam's defense needs to be included. Not an indictment against him, but the failing impacts the teams performance detrimentally.

Reaction Score
Hamilton doesn't have that far to go. Great rebounder, and passer. Once he starts to connect on those midrange shots his line is going to look spectacular, those 13 points will be 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom