Comparisons | The Boneyard

Comparisons

Reaction Score
Why must we always compare current and incoming UConn players to past players? Asking for a friend :rolleyes:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Because it's an honor to compare the best with the best. In the Association there are always comparisons between players like Kobe and Michael, Shaq and Wilt, Zion and Barkely, Stef Curry and, well, no one really. Brady and Rodgers, Hank and The Babe, Woods and Nicklaus. Sports lends itself to comparisons.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Well, it's a familiar reference point - a very human thing to do, compare your "new" player to ones that seem to be similar. I mean, we do it with everything, from cars and homes to jobs and vacations. Given how dynamic an 18-year old player is, and how little many of us follow recruiting them when they're 15 or 16, it's an entirely normal thing to try and place our first impressions in context - and, our context is the players we have seen before. There's certainly a risk of over-stating things or making a big jump to conclusions, but, it's not a remarkable thing to do.

Reaction Score
I think there an unconscious need to slot players, to classify them. Look at families and newborns. The first thing they do is comment on who they look like. There is likely a sociological explaination, that they are in essense saying "yes, they are part of the family". So maybe the fans that enjoy doing it to incoming players are just attempting to identify them as new members of the "family".

My questions to those who do it, as incoming freshmen:

Who did Maya Moore remind you of?

Who did Taurasi remind you of?

Who did Stewart remind you of?

I'll wager that most, right now, can neither remember nor are interested in doing so.

Reaction Score
It’s not intended to be a put-down at all. I saw Saylor in person last night. She reminds me of Sveta and Ann. I’ll see Mir tonight. I expect her to play something like Kalana Greene. It helps others to understand.
You may want to lower your expectations. ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think there an unconscious need to slot players, to classify them. Look at families and newborns. The first thing they do is comment on who they look like. There is likely a sociological explaination, that they are in essense saying "yes, they are part of the family". So maybe the fans that enjoy doing it to incoming players are just attempting to identify them as new members of the "family".

I'll wager that most, right now, can neither remember nor are interested in doing so.
Maya reminded me of Holdsclaw. The first female players to have NBA jump shots.

Reaction Score

Nice for anyone to be compared to Holdsclaw but I was looking for former UConn players.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Maybe there was/has been no one like DT/Maya/Stewie at UConn?

I will say, personality-wise/ferocity-wise, DT reminded me of Shea.

Maya - Sales with a little Jamelle.

Stewie - A little Tina-calmness/relentlessness.

Reaction Score

So funny, I was about to ask the same questions!

One step further. If Paige is being compared to DT, she lives up to the hype, then graduates. Who does the next incoming player, who reminds you of both DT and Paige, get compared to?

Reaction Score
I believe we tend to do this in every sport from college to the pros. Is LeBron better than Michael? Are either one of them better than The Big O? How about Williams or DiMaggio? That's the fun. Everyone choosing is right and everyone choosing is wrong.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I believe we tend to do this in every sport from college to the pros. Is LeBron better than Michael? Are either one of them better than The Big O? How about Williams or DiMaggio? That's the fun. Everyone choosing is right and everyone choosing is wrong.
giphy1.gif

Reaction Score
What??? Geno does it too??

* Coach Auriemma compares Mir to Ashley Battle and a shorter Aubrey Griffin.

Reaction Score
The ultimate goal of every great player is not to be compared to anyone.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Back then everyone was comparing Maya to Holdsclaw or Catchings. In many ways she ended up being like a hybrid of the 2, pretty accurate comparison I'd say.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Moore as noted was compared to Holdsclaw and Catchings. Pretty sure no one compared her to past Huskies.

I'm not sure message boards were even invented or in full force yet when DT was being recruited so I have no idea.

IIRC you'd hear Stewart associated as being similar to EDD or Parker but having obvious differences too. Again, in 2012 UCONN never had a player with her abilities at 6-4 so I don't think a UCONN comparison was evident.

Reaction Score
Because it's an honor to compare the best with the best. In the Association there are always comparisons between players like Kobe and Michael, Shaq and Wilt, Zion and Barkely, Stef Curry and, well, no one really. Brady and Rodgers, Hank and The Babe, Woods and Nicklaus. Sports lends itself to comparisons.

My favorite has always been Mantle Mays and Snider as the best centerfielder in NY..

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Holdsclaw my favorite Lady Vol player!
Mine too. Best Tennessee collegiate player ever and unquestionably one of the best collegiate players ever. Sad her pro career didn't pan out as expected (for a number of reasons) but I'm happy that she's doing well and seems to have turned her life around after going through some really dark years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom