Comparisons | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Comparisons

Reaction Score
Why must we always compare current and incoming UConn players to past players? Asking for a friend :rolleyes:
Pro scouts do that in every major team sport, as do Media commentators. It’s the nature of the beast.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The ultimate goal of every great player is not to be compared to anyone.

Impossible. Human civilization and progress is built on (hopefully) objective comparison people (no matter how talented) make with others.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Diana, Sue, Maya, Stewie....all unique; really unlike any other...
Same in the pros...Cousy, Sharman, Mamba, Wilt....could go on.

Did things their own way; really impossible to compare except for cold stats.

Even sub-greats...Will we ever see a teeny-tiny like MoJeff intersect with the trees so effectively and fearlessly?

Perhaps not.

Reaction Score
Impossible. Human civilization and progress is built on (hopefully) objective comparison people (no matter how talented) make with others.

I don’t disagree with you, but comparisons are usually for those on the periphery, onlookers, or the media. Most players are uncomfortable being compared to former greats who have already accomplished amazing things, while they are just trying to make their own way, and establishing themselves as dependable players and a good teammate. Any additional pressure added to those already daunting tasks, for a 18 or 19 year old athlete, can become an anchor and inhibit progress. Teams, as a general rule, hate being compared to past teams, and especially at UConn, that means unreasonable expectations. The people who have to be the most cautious about comparisons are the coaches, because they want to be able to tell individual players and their team that any other comparisons are outside their control, and to be taken with a grain of salt. Even Geno dislikes comparisons.

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree with you, but comparisons are usually for those on the periphery, onlookers, or the media. Most players are uncomfortable being compared to former greats who have already accomplished amazing things, while they are just trying to make their own way, and establishing themselves as dependable players and a good teammate. Any additional pressure added to those already daunting tasks, for a 18 or 19 year old athlete, can become an anchor and inhibit progress. Teams, as a general rule, hate being compared to past teams, and especially at UConn, that means unreasonable expectations. The people who have to be the most cautious about comparisons are the coaches, because they want to be able to tell individual players and their team that any other comparisons are outside their control, and to be taken with a grain of salt. Even Geno dislikes comparisons.

But yet, Geno does it as well. I agree, players are initially honored to be compared to a great player, but really only want to be themselves.

Reaction Score
My favorite has always been Mantle Mays and Snider as the best centerfielder in NY
The day the music died was the day my Dodgers left Brooklyn. I don't want him in hell but I hope Walter O'Malley is the unhappiest man in heaven.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Making comparisons in all things is not only a natural condition of humanity, IMO it's also really critical.

It is in essence delving into history - using the past to make hopefully better decisions for the future.

For my money, I wish our political leaders were more willing to look at history before they make some of their decisions that turn out to be rather disastrous for the country.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Diana, Sue, Maya, Stewie....all unique; really unlike any other...
Same in the pros...Cousy, Sharman, Mamba, Wilt....could go on.

Did things their own way; really impossible to compare except for cold stats.

Even sub-greats...Will we ever see a teeny-tiny like MoJeff intersect with the trees so effectively and fearlessly?

Perhaps not.

In regards to Sue....I have no idea who she was compared to, but my guess is that Jennifer Azzi was a commonly used comparison. Both were stellar shooters, great decision makers and pass first point guards. Azzi also had a really good pull up jumper. Both also ended up winning gold medals for their collegiate coaches and were POY winners on standout title teams. Later on in their careers, each also developed reputations for being ridiculously fit as older players. Not that it matters, but physically they look somewhat alike too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom