Comparisons to our game against Duke vs Wisconsin/Duke | The Boneyard

Comparisons to our game against Duke vs Wisconsin/Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For all the negatives...we played Duke almost as well, if not better than Wisconsin. And that was a home game for Wisc. Really just need the offense to come around. I know the comparison is a tricky one, but just something I found interesting.

We held Duke to 37% from the field... they shot 65% against Wisconsin!
From 3...we held Duke to 26%, against Wisconsin 58%.
Forced Duke into 9 more turnovers than Wisc.

Fouls were key differential. Duke had 34 vs us to 18 against Wisc.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400587822 (Wisc-Duke)
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400586736 (UConn-Duke)

Reaction Score
For all the negatives...we played Duke almost as well, if not better than Wisconsin. And that was a home game for Wisc. Really just need the offense to come around. I know the comparison is a tricky one, but just something I found interesting.

We held Duke to 37% from the field... they shot 65% against Wisconsin!
From 3...we held Duke to 26%, against Wisconsin 58%.
Forced Duke into 9 more turnovers than Wisc.

Fouls were key differential. Duke had 34 vs us to 18 against Wisc.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400587822 (Wisc-Duke)
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400586736 (UConn-Duke)
So if Wisconsin had our defense and we had Wisconsin's offense ,Duke would have two losses and only be ranked 7 or 8

Reaction Score
I'm not saying this to detract from UConn's defense last night, which was very good, but Duke played much better against WI than they did last night, particularly in terms of shot-making. I would imagine - and K said this last night - the level they played at against WI is not a level that is going to be replicated all that regularly.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying this to detract from UConn's defense last night, which was very good, but Duke played much better against WI than they did last night, particularly in terms of shot-making. I would imagine - and K said this last night - the level they played at against WI is not a level that is going to be replicated all that regularly.

Yeah but our guys were much quicker to the ball and made people uncomfortable early. Besides those quick 3's by Jones many Dukies weren't looking all that confident doing too much. So yes they played better against Wisconsin but only because they can't guard like our guys. Saw both games, Duke rushed more and had much less flow because of the fact Boat and even Samuel made them work the offense from further out many times. Not saying Wisconsin isn't better than us, just saying our defense certainly is much better per man!

Reaction Score
UConn probably defended Duke better than WI did. But against WI Duke didn't miss many, if any, of those wide open looks they had last night.

caw

Reaction Score

Wisconsin is relatively slow on the perimeter and Duke had way less pressure up top in that game. They didn't have many unchallenged shots against UConn they missed (they just didn't have many relatively).

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
UCONN missed a ton of wide open three's last night, which killed UCONN.

Reaction Score
UConn probably defended Duke better than WI did. But against WI Duke didn't miss many, if any, of those wide open looks they had last night.

Has anyone else ever wondered if this guy is actually a UConn fan? Duke shot poorly because of UConn's defense. If a team is rushed constantly they will miss more of even wide open shots. Some of it is mental and some of it is physical fatigue. The defense UConn played is a direct result of great coaching. The lack of offense is a direct result of the talent differential. Can we beat Duke in March if we saw them again? Sure. But the odds of pulling those miracles off become lower and lower as the talent differential gets bigger and bigger. And what is absolutely required is the kind of defense they played...even if some people don't want to give them credit for it.

Reaction Score
Paesano said:
Has anyone else ever wondered if this guy is actually a UConn fan? Duke shot poorly because of UConn's defense. If a team is rushed constantly they will miss more of even wide open shots. Some of it is mental and some of it is physical fatigue. The defense UConn played is a direct result of great coaching. The lack of offense is a direct result of the talent differential. Can we beat Duke in March if we saw them again? Sure. But the odds of pulling those miracles off become lower and lower as the talent differential gets bigger and bigger. And what is absolutely required is the kind of defense they played...even if some people don't want to give them credit for it.

Hey look, it's the guy who said Boatright is a cancer and the team will be better off when he leaves. Look, call it what you want, I just happened to have watched the Duke / WI game.

Reaction Score
I watched the WI game also and they had wide open looks. Cook and Solaimon were standing alone unlike the other night. Cook made 2 of his theater night and still had guys flying out at him hand in the face. I get it shooters make shots no doubt but when rushed and not feeling in rhythm it's just not the same. I think UConn did an excellent job getting to shooters.

Reaction Score
Hey look, it's the guy who said Boatright is a cancer and the team will be better off when he leaves. Look, call it what you want, I just happened to have watched the Duke / WI game.

I will admit that was a poor choice of words. I still think he is not a great leader and has trust issues with what should be HIS team. But he is tough and he is a key part of that great defense that you, apparently, don't think is that great. Now you can admit something too, if you aren't a coward. You are clearly a squid fanboy and either a umess or kentucky fan.

Reaction Score
I will admit that was a poor choice of words. I still think he is not a great leader and has trust issues with what should be HIS team. But he is tough and he is a key part of that great defense that you, apparently, don't think is that great. Now you can admit something too, if you aren't a coward. You are clearly a squid fanboy and either a umess or kentucky fan.

Crack is very much a UConn fan but also a basketball fan overall and he is realistic about everything. Knows his stuff and offers his opinion which many do, some better than others.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Ugh I hate these comparisons. College basketball is not a sport that can be modeled by the transitive property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom