Comparing MoJeff and Crystal Dangerfield... | The Boneyard

Comparing MoJeff and Crystal Dangerfield...

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Dangerfield vs Baylor.jpeg

Like most UConn fans, I'm dying to know how good of a player Crystal Dangerfield will turn out to be. I can't resist the urge to compare her with a recent player of her size, talents and position, Moriah Jefferson. Unfortunately, I tend to compare the Crystal we just saw, with the MoJeff we remember. That isn't fair to Dangerfield, because the Jefferson we most remember was a mature All-American winning her 4th straight National Championship. So, let's go back to Moriah's freshman year for a more accurate comparison. The results are very interesting. ;)

1. Games played & started - Mo played all 39 games for UConn her freshman year and started only 2. With her injuries, Crystal played in 31 games, but started 6. The total minutes played, however, are very close at 677 for MoJeff and 733 for Crystal. No advantage either way.

2. Points scored - Remarkably, both players scored 73 baskets their freshman seasons. Crystal took slightly more shots (181 to 172), and made more 3s (26 made vs 17 for Mo.) Moriah's overall shooting % was 42%, while Crystal's was 40%. Still very similar. Total points ended up 188 for Crystal and 182 for MoJeff.

3. Assists & steals - Here is where difference between the two players, at least as freshman, appears. Crystal had 114 assists for the season, doing what she does best, pass the ball. MoJeff had 69 her first year. Clear advantage for Dangerfield. However, steals go the other way, with Jefferson getting 52 and Crystal only 29. In the beginning, one was better with the ball, the other at stealing the ball. :p

4. Rebounds & turnovers- Again the stats are very close. Crystal had 69 boards, while Moriah grabbed 64. Mo had a slight advantage in offensive rebounds 13 to 8. Turnovers are also in Jefferson's favor at 49 for her and 53 for Dangerfield. Close enough to be statistically insignificant, at least to me.

5. Three point shooting & free throws - As mentioned, Crystal was better from beyond the arc. She made 26 of 82 threes for 31.7%. MoJeff was 17-64 or 26.6%. From the free throw line, Moriah was clearly better, making 76% on 19-25 shooting. Crystal struggled from the charity stripe at 59.3% on 16-27 shooting. Of interest, both failed to get to the line much, considering how often they had the ball. :eek:

Two conclusions about Crystal seem obvious. The Baylor game showed she can score and indeed, takeover a game if need be. And, the 114 assists as a freshman show she is a brilliant passer. The key to her impact this season will be the improvement in her shooting, both from the field and the free throw line. MoJeff went from 42% shooting as a freshman, to 57% as a sophomore. Crystal will see 900-950 minutes of action, if she stays healthy. Watch for her to step up to the next level, just like MoJeff did. I'm a believer...:cool:

Go Huskies..!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am amazed at how similar the stats are. It is terrific to think that we could have another PG as good as Mo. Another all american point guard. Wow.
How much did Moriah improve in her sophomore year? That is, what will Crystal have to do to improve the way Moriah did?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
This suggests to me that it is within the range of plausibility that Crystal could demonstrate a consistent level of play approximating her best games as a freshman, which in my opinion are Baylor and South Carolina. I'm sure she had some good games against AAC teams, but my memory discounts those games because of the level of competition.

If that happens, then Kia could see her minutes drop. Kia will probably shoot the 3 at a higher percentage than Crystal in 2017-18, and will be more effective on defense, but in every other offensive dimension Crystal could outperform her -- especially in seeing and making difficult assists. I doubt that it will reach the point where Crystal starts in Kia's place, but that is a possibility. Of course, it is also a possibility that Kia puts it all together in her senior year and yields no minutes to Crystal, Mikayla, or anyone else.

There is also the possibility that Molly Bent will relax and play intuitive basketball, and demonstrate that she is right up there with the other three just mentioned.

I don't think that handling the ball will be a problem for this year's team, and they can afford to take a lot of fouls without losing pace on the offense.

Reaction Score
View attachment 23401

Like most UConn fans, I'm dying to know how good of a player Crystal Dangerfield will turn out to be. I can't resist the urge to compare her with a recent player of her size, talents and position, Moriah Jefferson. Unfortunately, I tend to compare the Crystal we just saw, with the MoJeff we remember. That isn't fair to Dangerfield, because the Jefferson we most remember was a mature All-American winning her 4th straight National Championship. So, let's go back to Moriah's freshman year for a more accurate comparison. The results are very interesting. ;)

1. Games played & started - Mo played all 39 games for UConn her freshman year and started only 2. With her injuries, Crystal played in 31 games, but started 6. The total minutes played, however, are very close at 677 for MoJeff and 733 for Crystal. No advantage either way.

2. Points scored - Remarkably, both players scored 73 baskets their freshman seasons. Crystal took slightly more shots (181 to 172), and made more 3s (26 made vs 17 for Mo.) Moriah's overall shooting % was 42%, while Crystal's was 40%. Still very similar. Total points ended up 188 for Crystal and 182 for MoJeff.

3. Assists & steals - Here is where difference between the two players, at least as freshman, appears. Crystal had 114 assists for the season, doing what she does best, pass the ball. MoJeff had 69 her first year. Clear advantage for Dangerfield. However, steals go the other way, with Jefferson getting 52 and Crystal only 29. In the beginning, one was better with the ball, the other at stealing the ball. :p

4. Rebounds & turnovers- Again the stats are very close. Crystal had 69 boards, while Moriah grabbed 64. Mo had a slight advantage in offensive rebounds 13 to 8. Turnovers are also in Jefferson's favor at 49 for her and 53 for Dangerfield. Close enough to be statistically insignificant, at least to me.

5. Three point shooting & free throws - As mentioned, Crystal was better from beyond the arc. She made 26 of 82 threes for 31.7%. MoJeff was 17-64 or 26.6%. From the free throw line, Moriah was clearly better, making 76% on 19-25 shooting. Crystal struggled from the charity stripe at 59.3% on 16-27 shooting. Of interest, both failed to get to the line much, considering how often they had the ball. :eek:

Two conclusions about Crystal seem obvious. The Baylor game showed she can score and indeed, takeover a game if need be. And, the 114 assists as a freshman show she is a brilliant passer. The key to her impact this season will be the improvement in her shooting, both from the field and the free throw line. MoJeff went from 42% shooting as a freshman, to 57% as a sophomore. Crystal will see 900-950 minutes of action, if she stays healthy. Watch for her to step up to the next level, just like MoJeff did. I'm a believer...:cool:

Go Huskies..!!
The comparison will become cloudier in the next few years because of the difference in teams. A plethora of talented guards now surrounds Crystal compared to the [relatively] guard-poor teams of Mo Jeff. Moriah had to start and play whole games, while Crystal will probably not have the same opportunity her last three years.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
The comparison will become cloudier in the next few years because of the difference in teams. A plethora of talented guards now surrounds Crystal compared to the [relatively] guard-poor teams of Mo Jeff. Moriah had to start and play whole games, while Crystal will probably not have the same opportunity her last three years.
I beg to differ a little, I think Mo's true value to her team was her outstanding defense, and that is what actually kept her on the court.. as she was often needed to shut down the opposing team's best outside threat and not necessarily because of her offensive guard-play, or lack there of available teammates to play the position...

Don't forget the strategy of most teams were to give Mo the open shot, and that was even after her outside shooting improved.. I think it is quite similar the talent level of the supporting cast actually.. But I'm sure others might disagree :)

Both will/would get open shots because the talent around them, Crystal really needs to improve her defense, otherwise her playing time just might suffer.. She does not have to produce big numbers in scoring on this team to be effective, In someways that could actually hurt the chemistry of the team.. IMHO....

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
I am amazed at how similar the stats are. It is terrific to think that we could have another PG as good as Mo. Another all american point guard. Wow.
How much did Moriah improve in her sophomore year? That is, what will Crystal have to do to improve the way Moriah did?

mojeff.jpg

MoJeff had dramatic improvement sophomore year... in all areas. :)
Points - 182 to 400
Assists - 69 to 195
Made threes - 17 to 33
Steals - 52 to 106
Rebounds - 64 to 136
Shooting % - 42% to 57%
Minutes - 677 to 1,187

Reaction Score
I beg to differ a little, I think Mo's true value to her team was her outstanding defense, and that is what actually kept her on the court\
Both will/would get open shots because the talent around them, Crystal really needs to improve her defense, otherwise her playing time just might suffer.. She does not have to produce big numbers in scoring on this team to be effective, In someways that could actually hurt the chemistry of the team.. IMHO....

I agree 100% about the defense. That's why I argue with those who suggest she is going to start. IMO MoJeff and Danger are exact opposites. Defense was MoJeff's man calling card early on. Offense is Danger's. This team doesn't need a lot of numbers offensively. What hurt them last year vs Miss State was defense and rebounding. Danger can't help the rebounding but Gneo si going to demand from her much much better defense. That doesn't come naturally to Danger.

Reaction Score
ya'll know the stats better than me but I would take MJ over CD any day of the week.....just from watching the games. I hate to say that about a TN girl but it's just my opinion.

Reaction Score
I agree 100% about the defense. That's why I argue with those who suggest she is going to start. IMO MoJeff and Danger are exact opposites. Defense was MoJeff's man calling card early on. Offense is Danger's. This team doesn't need a lot of numbers offensively. What hurt them last year vs Miss State was defense and rebounding. Danger can't help the rebounding but Gneo si going to demand from her much much better defense. That doesn't come naturally to Danger.
I think Azura will be the fifth starter and Gabby will see more time at guard. I also believe that AEH, Mikayla and CD will split time evenly at guard coming off the bench.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
View attachment 23409

MoJeff had dramatic improvement sophomore year... in all areas. :)
Points - 182 to 400
Assists - 69 to 195
Made threes - 17 to 33
Steals - 52 to 106
Rebounds - 64 to 136
Shooting % - 42% to 57%
Minutes - 677 to 1,187
Yep Jefferson became what some of us thought she would be. Hopefully Dangerfield can make a big Soph jump.

Reaction Score
Yep Jefferson became what some of us thought she would be. Hopefully Dangerfield can make a big Soph jump.
What got me most excited about Mo her freshman year was her quickness and her defense ..... she was a tremendous spark coming off the bench. She and Bria worked especially well together.

Tremendous numbers her sophmore year and then the following year her first of two Best PG awards.

Reaction Score
I beg to differ a little, I think Mo's true value to her team was her outstanding defense, and that is what actually kept her on the court.. as she was often needed to shut down the opposing team's best outside threat and not necessarily because of her offensive guard-play, or lack there of available teammates to play the position...

Don't forget the strategy of most teams were to give Mo the open shot, and that was even after her outside shooting improved.. I think it is quite similar the talent level of the supporting cast actually.. But I'm sure others might disagree :)

Who were the available teammates excluding Nurse her Junior and Senior years? Saniya, Sadie, Brianna Banks, Courtney. (were there others?) Brianna had her injury problems, and the other three all had their defensive challenges and to some degree confusion on offensive sets

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Was going to say something similar. Also don't forget there was a clear UCONN linage in terms of intangibles and setting the tempo especially at practices that went from Maya, to Kelly Faris, to Moriah (even as a Sophomore) to Gabby.

Reaction Score
When I saw the title of this thread--I got a bit hot under the collar --Comparing a freshman to a near icon?? Not nice---then I read it--then I looked to who posted it--DAVID!!!
Really really fair--kidding--great piece.
I anointed Crystal, before she played one game, as the second coming of Moriah--from her USA games--in which at times I thought I was watching Moriah, she was that good.

Back to reality---Danger/s concussion set her back a full season--Geno likes what he sees in her--minutes played--
She CAN take over a game--Baylor proved that. Her defense--if she had any--was her real Achilles heal--teams put taller players in her area and took her to the basket--with expected results.
She isn't going to grow much more--she could--so her Geno inspired method s of Defense, team defense, and hard work--must be done.
Offensively, he short (bad word) comings are few--and she'll get better.

This, I have to admit this is almost as good, for me, as one of your Tests---where were you when I was in HS??? (probably 60 years from being born)
Thanks.

It's hard to say---but some thought she could leap over tall buildings with a single bound!

Reaction Score
What got me most excited about Mo her freshman year was her quickness and her defense ..... she was a tremendous spark coming off the bench. She and Bria worked especially well together.

Tremendous numbers her sophmore year and then the following year her first of two Best PG awards.
Moriah's quickness--court speed--got her sitting time as a frosh--and you could see she was amazing even then. She learned to be quick and speedy without losing control--and the rest is history.

Reaction Score

Just my opinion from what I thought I saw---As a Frosh, Moriah got into freshman troubles with ND's Diggins, then she was subbed by 6th year Doty --and Diggin did the same to her--As a Soph, Jr, Sr Notre Dame payed heavily for the treatment of that Frosh---ask Loyd, Baby Mabrey--she put them in her pocket and ended their reign of terror. I expect Danger will be a player of the same mode as Moriah.

[/B][/I][/U][/COLOR]ya'll know the stats better than me but I would take MJ over CD any day of the week.....just from watching the games. I hate to say that about a TN girl but it's just my opinion.

I know you don't mean to dis-respect a talented Vol Nation kid---but---come back at the end of NEXT season--not this coming season--and present your observations of Danger then--
It is impossible to compare --(with out actual stats)--Moriah as a Soph, Jr, Senior, Pro--to a kid who sat long as precaution for concussion --you saw a bit of her against Baylor--you can't say Moriah did that as a frosh---or Geno was shouting at her ---win this one --win this one. I'll go with Geno--he obviously sees something in Danger you haven't seen--YET.

Reaction Score
Dangers defensive issues were Last YEAR---kids of her talent--progress as e to the x--exponentially.
Don't dump her --at least until you see her play this year. No doubt her defensive issue got her sitting time--she'll learn.

Reaction Score
Putting Mo's numbers on a per 40 minute basis shows a modest but
consistent improvement in all areas, vis:

Points - 10.8 to 13.5
Assists - 4.1 to 6.6
Made Threes - 1.0 to 1.1
Steals - 3.1 to 3.6
Rebounds - 3.4 to 4.6

Reaction Score
Dangers defensive issues were Last YEAR---kids of her talent--progress as e to the x--exponentially.
Don't dump her --at least until you see her play this year. No doubt her defensive issue got her sitting time--she'll learn.

Not dumping - and I do agree with you!!! :)

I also think no one plays perfect with tough-man Geno. He's going to be very demanding with this team this year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Agree with folks saying they are different players and the comparison to Jefferson is a tough one to put on the wall as a player to 'live up to.'

I think the big difference for me is that I don't remember any teams really trying to exploit Jefferson's size defensively, because she was so quick and such a great leaper - her stealing entry passes to Coates when she was forced to front her sticks in my memory. Last year there were a few games where Dangerfield's player specifically took her to the low post and exploited her size - I believe she is a little shorter than Moriah and not as long limbed or as quick an high a leaper. I see this, no matter how much she focuses on her defense as being a continuing issue for Dangerfield.

The other thing in the comparison of stats is that I believe freshman Moriah played a higher percentage of her minutes with the bench, while Crystal played more with starters - shorter bench, and Chong's and Kia's missed games resulting in more starts for her. This might be why Dangerfield leads in assists - playing with Lou and Napheesa vs. playing with Banks and Doty for example. Still - the correlation of stats is impressive.

On Moriah - she didn't just become better as a 3 point shooter - she bested KML percentage wise as a soph and junior and came a fraction off matching Sue's best percentage shooting for a year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom