Comparing MoJeff and Crystal Dangerfield... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Comparing MoJeff and Crystal Dangerfield...

Reaction Score
Agree with folks saying they are different players and the comparison to Jefferson is a tough one to put on the wall as a player to 'live up to.'

I think the big difference for me is that I don't remember any teams really trying to exploit Jefferson's size defensively, because she was so quick and such a great leaper - her stealing entry passes to Coates when she was forced to front her sticks in my memory. Last year there were a few games where Dangerfield's player specifically took her to the low post and exploited her size - I believe she is a little shorter than Moriah and not as long limbed or as quick an high a leaper. I see this, no matter how much she focuses on her defense as being a continuing issue for Dangerfield.

The other thing in the comparison of stats is that I believe freshman Moriah played a higher percentage of her minutes with the bench, while Crystal played more with starters - shorter bench, and Chong's and Kia's missed games resulting in more starts for her. This might be why Dangerfield leads in assists - playing with Lou and Napheesa vs. playing with Banks and Doty for example. Still - the correlation of stats is impressive.

On Moriah - she didn't just become better as a 3 point shooter - she bested KML percentage wise as a soph and junior and came a fraction off matching Sue's best percentage shooting for a year.

MoJeff did have Steph, Kia and Stewie at the back end for support. I expect Geno to have Stevens focus on being an intimidator. Will be interested to see how all of this plays out. As you say in bold Danger has defensive issues.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Agree with folks saying they are different players and the comparison to Jefferson is a tough one to put on the wall as a player to 'live up to.'

I think the big difference for me is that I don't remember any teams really trying to exploit Jefferson's size defensively, because she was so quick and such a great leaper - her stealing entry passes to Coates when she was forced to front her sticks in my memory. Last year there were a few games where Dangerfield's player specifically took her to the low post and exploited her size - I believe she is a little shorter than Moriah and not as long limbed or as quick an high a leaper. I see this, no matter how much she focuses on her defense as being a continuing issue for Dangerfield.

The other thing in the comparison of stats is that I believe freshman Moriah played a higher percentage of her minutes with the bench, while Crystal played more with starters - shorter bench, and Chong's and Kia's missed games resulting in more starts for her. This might be why Dangerfield leads in assists - playing with Lou and Napheesa vs. playing with Banks and Doty for example. Still - the correlation of stats is impressive.

On Moriah - she didn't just become better as a 3 point shooter - she bested KML percentage wise as a soph and junior and came a fraction off matching Sue's best percentage shooting for a year.
Also worth noting there might not have been as much switching defenders with Mo, as she often chased her assigned player(s) relentlessly around screens, but you are correct for her size she was a very good leaper.. The best ball denial defense I have seen in a very long time..

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see if Danger can hold onto her assist lead over Mo through her 4 years at UConn, which would give her the Uconn career assist record.

I tend to think not, because Geno changed the offense after Mo graduated. Instead of Mo running the show with the ball in her hand most of the time, a team of great passers shared the responsibility and set the NCAA single season record for assists.

While Danger will certainly get a couple bushels of assists before she leaves, so will Kia, Gabby, Lou, Pheesa, Z, Coombs, MW, etc.

Reaction Score
Great fodder for discussion, but sorry folks; so far there is no comparison!!! Moriah was and is simply the best. It's almost unfair to compare.
Moriah was one of the best point guard defenders of all time. Starting in her Soph year, Geno didn't seem to care if she scored a point as long as she shut down the top opposing guard-and she always did. Too soon to fully evaluate Crystal, but would rate her performance past year as average. Few steals and typically other guards got by her. This could be her Achilles heal and one potential reason her minutes get limited in future.

Reaction Score
One point that has been missed is that Jefferson didn't make the cut at USA basketball till after her freshman year (U19) while Dangerfield has not only matched that this summer but played on the U19 team after her third year of high school. And while she didn't start she was second on the team in assists and second (to Collier) in steals.

Judging any player based on their freshman performance is grossly unfair.

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
View attachment 23401

Like most UConn fans, I'm dying to know how good of a player Crystal Dangerfield will turn out to be. I can't resist the urge to compare her with a recent player of her size, talents and position, Moriah Jefferson. Unfortunately, I tend to compare the Crystal we just saw, with the MoJeff we remember. That isn't fair to Dangerfield, because the Jefferson we most remember was a mature All-American winning her 4th straight National Championship. So, let's go back to Moriah's freshman year for a more accurate comparison. The results are very interesting. ;)

1. Games played & started - Mo played all 39 games for UConn her freshman year and started only 2. With her injuries, Crystal played in 31 games, but started 6. The total minutes played, however, are very close at 677 for MoJeff and 733 for Crystal. No advantage either way.

2. Points scored - Remarkably, both players scored 73 baskets their freshman seasons. Crystal took slightly more shots (181 to 172), and made more 3s (26 made vs 17 for Mo.) Moriah's overall shooting % was 42%, while Crystal's was 40%. Still very similar. Total points ended up 188 for Crystal and 182 for MoJeff.

3. Assists & steals - Here is where difference between the two players, at least as freshman, appears. Crystal had 114 assists for the season, doing what she does best, pass the ball. MoJeff had 69 her first year. Clear advantage for Dangerfield. However, steals go the other way, with Jefferson getting 52 and Crystal only 29. In the beginning, one was better with the ball, the other at stealing the ball. :p

4. Rebounds & turnovers- Again the stats are very close. Crystal had 69 boards, while Moriah grabbed 64. Mo had a slight advantage in offensive rebounds 13 to 8. Turnovers are also in Jefferson's favor at 49 for her and 53 for Dangerfield. Close enough to be statistically insignificant, at least to me.

5. Three point shooting & free throws - As mentioned, Crystal was better from beyond the arc. She made 26 of 82 threes for 31.7%. MoJeff was 17-64 or 26.6%. From the free throw line, Moriah was clearly better, making 76% on 19-25 shooting. Crystal struggled from the charity stripe at 59.3% on 16-27 shooting. Of interest, both failed to get to the line much, considering how often they had the ball. :eek:

Two conclusions about Crystal seem obvious. The Baylor game showed she can score and indeed, takeover a game if need be. And, the 114 assists as a freshman show she is a brilliant passer. The key to her impact this season will be the improvement in her shooting, both from the field and the free throw line. MoJeff went from 42% shooting as a freshman, to 57% as a sophomore. Crystal will see 900-950 minutes of action, if she stays healthy. Watch for her to step up to the next level, just like MoJeff did. I'm a believer...:cool:

Go Huskies..!!
Enjoyed the post. Thanks.

Reaction Score
I loved this post. It gives us something to look forward to-Dangerfield potentially surpassing Jefferson.
I have no doubt that Dangerfield will be one of (if not the) elite guard in the college game.

Here defense will come. Geno will ensure that it does. By the time her senior year rolls around she possibly could have 3 Nat'l Chips. And have the BY arguing who is the better guard Jefferson or Dangerfield.

Until then let's enjoy what she does at U19 and look forward to the start of the season. Dangerfield will be ready next season. Confident, calm and deadly effective.

Reaction Score
So going by what most of you are saying Dangerfield will never be as good as Jefferson. You all must know she doesn't work on any part of her game in the off season like mo did. According to the stats she was a better passer and 3 point shooter but she won't get any better. I don't recall geno saying win this game tonight to mo her freshman year. Dangerfield is definitely stronger then mo of you go by the guns on her.

Reaction Score
So going by what most of you are saying Dangerfield will never be as good as Jefferson. You all must know she doesn't work on any part of her game in the off season like mo did. According to the stats she was a better passer and 3 point shooter but she won't get any better. I don't recall geno saying win this game tonight to mo her freshman year. Dangerfield is definitely stronger then mo of you go by the guns on her.

Oh, I don't think some are disrespecting Danger--I am, was and always will be a Sue Bird lover--but looking at Mo vs Bird--I had to admit Moriah exceeded Bird. Now we are looking at Danger --and think--If Moriah is better than the Best--how can Danger be better.
Of course there is that possibility--and in my case the desire that ---Danger is better. We have 3 years forward to find out--
I agree , and I said, Geno never said to Moriah--Win this game (as a Frosh)--and all you say about Danger is true. No matter where Danger finally fits in the Bird, Moriah, Danger progression--I can't see me thinking anything but---am I ever lucky to have witnessed the greatest guard trio in WBB history. Then put in the new "birds" now on Uconn bench--WOW WOW WOW!!

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see if Danger can hold onto her assist lead over Mo through her 4 years at UConn, which would give her the UConn career assist record.

I tend to think not, because Geno changed the offense after Mo graduated. Instead of Mo running the show with the ball in her hand most of the time, a team of great passers shared the responsibility and set the NCAA single season record for assists.

While Danger will certainly get a couple bushels of assists before she leaves, so will Kia, Gabby, Lou, Pheesa, Z, Coombs, MW, etc.

In terms of determining where Danger will settle in the progression of great guards--stats to me only tell a tiny bit of the tale. If Danger steps up her Defense, and continues (her hs proven) scoring ability and gets to run this team to victories--those stats that puts Moriah at the top are ok, the fun for me will be watching Danger work with the Core 4 and new guys. I've said this --at this point last year--I believe in Danger.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
danger-ahead-second-sign.jpg

Reaction Score
Really a perfect sign!! Danger ahead.
I just watch Maya's first, real, game : Rene Montgomery, Mel Thomas, ---what struck me was--How good Rene was. The thought---Geno either created or recruited and improved--many good to great point guards--some like Rene are pushed to the back of the memory bank--what a shame.
Thanks for the Danger sign---

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Mo is 1" to 1.5" taller than Crystal, and her wingspan may be 4"-5" longer. To me, that is the biggest difference on defense. Mo could get deflections, steals, and rebounds that Crystal can't quite get to. I agree about Mo being able to gamble more having Stef, Kiah, and/or Stewie as the last line of defense. Two of them were NDPOY.

On offense, I think Crystal is a little more advanced and has better instincts as a passer. Both struggled with their jump shots as freshman. Crystal struggled with FTs as well. Mo's length and elevation helped her with layups in traffic. Crystal tends to protect the ball and not have the arm extension that Mo has. In terms of shooting percentage, Mo was sensational. As a senior, she shot .557/.431./.894. As a junior, .587/.496/.843, outshooting the great KML from the arc. As a sophomore, .575/.418/.768. Guards rarely shoot in the .550-.590 range. Some big name guards struggle to get to .400. Mo has some of the highest shooting stats for UConn--regardless of position.

I look for Crystal to make the sophomore leap, as Mo did. I think she will be the leader for the U-19 team. Whether she starts or not, she will be a key player for us this season. I think she'll be in the Lieberman conversation at least once, if not twice or three times. Jordan Canada appears to the the pre-season favorite.

Reaction Score
I beg to differ a little, I think Mo's true value to her team was her outstanding defense, and that is what actually kept her on the court.. as she was often needed to shut down the opposing team's best outside threat and not necessarily because of her offensive guard-play, or lack there of available teammates to play the position...

Don't forget the strategy of most teams were to give Mo the open shot, and that was even after her outside shooting improved.. I think it is quite similar the talent level of the supporting cast actually.. But I'm sure others might disagree :)

Both will/would get open shots because the talent around them, Crystal really needs to improve her defense, otherwise her playing time just might suffer.. She does not have to produce big numbers in scoring on this team to be effective, In someways that could actually hurt the chemistry of the team.. IMHO....
I like your post, but don't see how it disagrees with mine.:)

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
I like your post, but don't see how it disagrees with mine.:)
Guess all I was trying to say in short was, Mo's playing time had more to do with her ability to play lock down defense, if Mo was placed on this years same team instead of Crystal I think her playing time would probably be the same as it was when playing with her class, solely because of her defense.. that's why I said "differ a little" and not totally.. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom