Comments On UCONN Women's Basketball From A St. Louis U. Fan | The Boneyard

Comments On UCONN Women's Basketball From A St. Louis U. Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Though I am a SLU fan, my favorite team is UCONN and has been since the DT years. I recorded all of last season's games except one. Things I noticed were: In the first game of the season UCONN faced one of the highest scoring guard tandems in the country and SHUT them down. In the semi-finals of the Final Four, they faced the other highest scoring guard tandem and SHUT them down. There was concern early in the season that UCONN's three point shooting defense would eventually hurt them. Why the concern? When was the last time UCONN had a glaring weakness early in the season that the coaching staff did not eventually fix?

There was concern that teams that had good bigs would give them trouble after Maryland played UCONN tough. It was said SC's bigs would be too much for UCONN to handle. SC's bigs got outplayed by UCONN's bigs. Many times UCONN shut down the highest scorer on their opponent's team such as Vivians, Coates, and Boyette. I never saw (even though it may have happened) any UCONN player miss two free throws when shooting a two shot foul. Also, Stewart blocked three shots on one possession and Jefferson hit a contested three to end a quarter and neither one of them showed off or told the crowd to applaud their good play. I never saw a UCONN player show off.

Early on ND's two freshmen outplayed UCONN's two freshmen offensively. However, come NCAA Tournament time UCONN's freshmen were playing like veterans and ND's freshmen seemed to freeze up. Usually when UCONN beat a team that was missing a starter the announcers and analysts would make a big deal of it but when UCONN won the NC game by 31, not much was said about them missing one of their starters who was their most accurate three point shooters. In the Final Four semi-finals they led by 21 points at half time even though their top player had scored only two points. UCONN allowed Syracuse to score 16 unanswered points in the NC final and were still leading by 17. That had to be disheartening to Syracuse. I watched PAC 12 and SEC women's basketball all season and I knew that what was called good defense was actually poor offense. That is why I knew none of those teams would beat UCONN if they faced them. I know most of you saw these things also but I just wanted to express my feelings on what I saw this season.

It seems like UCONN was a team of destiny these last four years. Baylor got upset one year and this year all the other number one seeds were eliminated early. It was so much fun to watch the kind of excellence UCONN displayed this season. For any true UCONN women's basketball fan this has been a taste of true basketball heaven. Good luck next season.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Really nice observations.
I like to think we have learned from Geno and now follow his lead.
In the dark days circa 2005, we went into games think if we did A, B, and C the other team wouldn't have an answer for it and we could win against the better team. But for the last three years with the best team, we are all staying up and taking council from our fears - we know we are the best team and should win every game in a slaughter, but what if the other team does A, B, and C, will we be able to counter!!!:eek:
What if ND hits 60 % of of their three against us!!!:eek:
What if SC's bigs draw three quick fouls on both Stewart and Tuck!!!:eek:
What if Baylor's Nina Davis goes off for 40 and 20 against us!!!:eek:

A true fan nows that the more we worry, the less the team needs to, so we take our role very seriously! :)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Really nice observations.
I like to think we have learned from Geno and now follow his lead.
In the dark days circa 2005, we went into games think if we did A, B, and C the other team wouldn't have an answer for it and we could win against the better team. But for the last three years with the best team, we are all staying up and taking council from our fears - we know we are the best team and should win every game in a slaughter, but what if the other team does A, B, and C, will we be able to counter!!!:eek:
What if ND hits 60 % of of their three against us!!!:eek:
What if SC's bigs draw three quick fouls on both Stewart and Tuck!!!:eek:
What if Baylor's Nina Davis goes off for 40 and 20 against us!!!:eek:

A true fan nows that the more we worry, the less the team needs to, so we take our role very seriously! :)
And my personal favorite - "If we play like this against _______, we're going to lose".

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Though I am a SLU fan,

It's been lovely to see what Lisa Stone has done with the Billikens. She's got experience, but not a good track record. Maybe an "under-the-radar" program is what suits her. Thoughts?

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
It's been lovely to see what Lisa Stone has done with the Billikens. She's got experience, but not a good track record. Maybe an "under-the-radar" program is what suits her. Thoughts?

Her second career stop was at Univ of Wisconsin - Eau Claire, during which time I lived there. Took her team to the Div III tournament 11 of her 12 years, got to the final game once, and was twice national coach of the year.

She did okay during her three years at Drake but met her Waterloo at Wisconsin.

My impression is that she's a good but not great coach for Div I and a really nice person. I hope she has extended success at St L.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
SLU went to it's first post season tournament in many years this past season. She is recruiting really good players now and has two good recruits coming in next season. She is doing a good job but I think she needs to bring in some bigger, quicker players and keep players like Napheesa and the player from here who is going to Texas next season, home.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It seems like UCONN was a team of destiny these last four years. Baylor got upset one year and this year all the other number one seeds were eliminated early. It was so much fun to watch the kind of excellence UCONN displayed this season. For any true UCONN women's basketball fan this has been a taste of true basketball heaven. Good luck next season.

This is just how I feel. I felt so fortunate to see Stewie, Tuck, and Moriah perform and I never wanted to take it for granted, because I knew that kind of magic is truly the exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom