Comment on Breanna Stewart | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Comment on Breanna Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'd like to remind people that we don't engage in transfer speculation here. Nothing good has ever come from those types of threads.

Reaction Score
I'd like to remind people that we don't engage in transfer speculation here. Nothing good has ever come from those types of threads.
Interesting.

Extremely interesting considering the players who have left, such as EDD or Samarie....
but it's your board.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Which one will we choose. Oh wait, we're getting them both!

MMMUUAAHAHAHAAAAAA !! ::::laughing my evil laugh...!

#wegetBoth

rudy4.jpg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Interesting.

Extremely interesting considering the players who have left, such as EDD or Samarie....
but it's your board.
Talking about people who have transferred, or announced an impending transfer, is fine. What we don't do is say, "She's not getting a lot of playing time. I think she'll transfer at the end of the season" or things like that. Such comments have, in the past, led to disparaging comments about the players and nastiness between posters. Just not worth it.

Reaction Score
Another tweet by the Hartford Courant writer said Geno mentioned both girls complaining of being tired during practices. That's not a good way to earn playing time. Defenders are bigger, faster, and more physical in the college game so they will tire a freshman out more quickly; if a kid can't make it through practice, how can Geno depend on her in a game?

Having said that, both Stokes and Banks have played well in spots. I thought both of them had some good moments against Stanford, for example. But as freshmen are prone to be, both are inconsistent. If they can push through the fatigue, Geno will live with their mistakes - for the most part - as long as the effort is there.

My guess is that it's two-fold:
-one, Geno rewards practice effort with playing time
-two, that playing at full speed every second on the court is new to some players and hard to adjust to
Will be interesting to watch unfold.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Breanna Stewart is a beast I loved her before but she's even better now you should be drooling, she can knock down the 3, I am even looking forward to watching her play in college, just hope we never have to play you LOL. Tuck had a great game and overpowered St Marys, your other recruit Samuelson played basically on 1 leg after sustaining a bad ankle injury and had 20 plus points but Edison lost to Holy Cross, with CD and Moseley in atendence.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
@jaltavilla John Altavilla

Geno: "Banks and Stokes have ability to play here, but issue now is, we never know when they will just quit in practice." #UConnwomen
18 hours ago via TweetDeck
I saw that and was wondering exactly what Geno meant. I think he is talking about fatigue rather than discouragement, though maybe some of both. If they are gassed 1:45 into a 2:00 practice, does that mean that they can't give an intense 5-8 minutes in games? I would hope that their conditionng has improved since October. Look at what Stef did last year in terms of conditioning. Hopefully, Brianna and Kiah are close. They have lots of potential and opportunity.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I saw that and was wondering exactly what Geno meant. I think he is talking about fatigue rather than discouragement, though maybe some of both. If they are gassed 1:45 into a 2:00 practice, does that mean that they can't give an intense 5-8 minutes in games? I would hope that their conditionng has improved since October. Look at what Stef did last year in terms of conditioning. Hopefully, Brianna and Kiah are close. They have lots of potential and opportunity.
Another tweet by John A re: Brianna and Kiah -

Geno: "We've told them, they've worked on it. They just can't say they're tired and stop playing. Their teammates know it." #UConnwomen

Reaction Score
All the freshmen got a look at what March and April will feel like last Sunday. You need to play solid on every play.....Hail Geno

Reaction Score
boy, that's the key to being successful: playing every game hard, and every play hard.

how many teams have you watched get a nice lead, then start show-boating or just let up??

playing hard every single play makes it a habit.

KML is probably self-driven, needs no motivator....and why she's starting and absolutely going to be a star.

HS coaches do their kids no favors by letting the 'stars' coast, and I've seen a TON of them do it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
KML is probably self-driven, needs no motivator....and why she's starting and absolutely going to be a star.

HS coaches do their kids no favors by letting the 'stars' coast, and I've seen a TON of them do it.
KML is first off the bench. Geno rarely has freshmen start unless like last year he simply had no other choice. He, also, likes a la Red Auerbach to have the 6th player turn up the heat not just be going in to give someone a breather.

Reaction Score
Not sure what you mean by that Sonny, but my point is that if you are going to call out the character of players(e.g. “tough”), then at least give them a semester of college to gain experience before that judgment is made.
Is this "calling out the character"?

Geno: "Banks and Stokes have ability to play here, but issue now is, we never know when they will just quit in practice." #UConnwomen

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Is this "calling out the character"?

No Sonny...it is describing behavior. There is a clear difference between saying someone lacks in a character trait(e.g. toughness) and saying that they need to increase commitment in practice.

Another example.

In parenting, indicating to your child you are "bad" is distinctly separate, and different, and seen as distinctly separate and different, by the child, from saying behavior needs to change.

Reaction Score
Tell me about it; as a father of eight I would say lack of commitment is a character trait, that can be worked on incidentally. Laying off in practise is a lack of toughness. As Vince said: "Fatigue makes cowards of us all".
Anyway for Kiah a better word instead of toughness might be "meanness" or "killer instinct" instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom