Coming Together | The Boneyard

Coming Together

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Big Mak attack. Can this girl play. She fits right in and has polished the fundementals. Kyla wow another girl that can play the game and full of fundementals. Both had 5 assists and scored. Well its game 4 and were starting to look like UConn basketball. 2 games ago many fans were wondering if we could get out of our own way. This is one of the best passing, unselfish teams Geno has had. We showed alot of patience and poise. This team is better then advertised and getting better. How bout playtime? Another question answered not just a 6 player rotation. The ball movement is special. The footwork on defense is much improved. UConn is running their stuff so quickly its tuff for defenses to react. This team has no preseason All Americans. I will guarantee you that by the end of the season they will.

You know a couple of posts mentioned we havent played any really good teams yet. Well who is really good. Baylor Oregon St South Carolina? We're gonna play them later in the season. Think about this? We knock them off and were number 1 in the country...again. You gotta believe. I gotta hand it to Geno and the coaching staff. This team has made a huge improvement from where they started the season and where they are now. Just a note. USF lost at Baylor last nite. Baylor went to the line 26 more times then USF and made 20 more foul shots them USF to win by 12. Yeah Cox is out but still.

Mak and Kyla both had 5 assists. Both scored both look solid. This is huge because along with Griff we have a bench we can count on and Mak and Griff are both freshman. We're loaded and will be loaded even more next season. It was a fun game to watch. We're improving, and we're showing our competiveness on the floor trying to play UConn BB and get more time.

Alot of questions were answered last nite. Playtime, rebounding, shooting, scoring other then our core 4, cohesiveness, confidence, passing, improved defense. We're not there yet but we looked much improved and confident in what we were doing. By that I mean we executed our stuff and we werent thinking about where we had to be or what we had to do, we just did it. I liked it alot.

Reaction Score
Great nickname Big Mak.....Love it! I for one can’t wait to watch the game again tonight!
We were cheering out-loud!! Tonyc right-on with the nickname!

Reaction Score
Whenever I'm feeling down and out from some of the negative comments ;) (although all is well this morning) ...I look forward for that certain post from @Tonyc , the voice of reason to pick up my spirits and renew my faith for another day. :D

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Great post Tony...I would add one thing however, Adebayo hasn't completely adjusted to the UConn system yet. She will be very helpful because I do not think that Odo will be able to go the whole season without getting into foul trouble. There will be times when we will need two bigs on the floor... Irving and Adebayo are the only ones who can fit that need... Griffin' fits because of her athleticism not because of her size... Against some teams who have big line-ups we will need help on the glass. I agree with posters in the other thread that feel that "Machine Gun Molly" is passing up shots because the injury to her hand is giving her reason to not have the confidence in her shot. I also think that is why Geno hasn't been playing her as much. In short the purpose of my post is to point out that while our bench is developing Griffin and Kyra...we do have other pieces that by March maybe in a position to provide help if needed.

Reaction Score
Big Mak attack. Can this girl play. She fits right in and has polished the fundementals. Kyla wow another girl that can play the game and full of fundementals. Both had 5 assists and scored. Well its game 4 and were starting to look like UConn basketball. 2 games ago many fans were wondering if we could get out of our own way. This is one of the best passing, unselfish teams Geno has had. We showed alot of patience and poise. This team is better then advertised and getting better. How bout playtime? Another question answered not just a 6 player rotation. The ball movement is special. The footwork on defense is much improved. UConn is running their stuff so quickly its tuff for defenses to react. This team has no preseason All Americans. I will guarantee you that by the end of the season they will.

You know a couple of posts mentioned we havent played any really good teams yet. Well who is really good. Baylor Oregon St South Carolina? We're gonna play them later in the season. Think about this? We knock them off and were number 1 in the country...again. You gotta believe. I gotta hand it to Geno and the coaching staff. This team has made a huge improvement from where they started the season and where they are now. Just a note. USF lost at Baylor last nite. Baylor went to the line 26 more times then USF and made 20 more foul shots them USF to win by 12. Yeah Cox is out but still.

Mak and Kyla both had 5 assists. Both scored both look solid. This is huge because along with Griff we have a bench we can count on and Mak and Griff are both freshman. We're loaded and will be loaded even more next season. It was a fun game to watch. We're improving, and we're showing our competiveness on the floor trying to play UConn BB and get more time.

Alot of questions were answered last nite. Playtime, rebounding, shooting, scoring other then our core 4, cohesiveness, confidence, passing, improved defense. We're not there yet but we looked much improved and confident in what we were doing. By that I mean we executed our stuff and we werent thinking about where we had to be or what we had to do, we just did it. I liked it alot.
23 points and ten assists by Anna and Kyla. The bench is there, though a second big would help to spell Liv. That big is coming next year along with Paige ably replacing CD. That means NCs coming. Guys, this is an abundance of riches. Sure, the caution here is that Virginia isn’t much and Kyla could start and star for the Cavaliers.

Reaction Score

@Tonyc c-Good stuff on Ania and Kyla add in Griffin and we have a team to contend with. Will Uconn be undefeated in March? Who knows, who cares? The lessons learning, or learned along the way to April will determine where Uconn finishes. Uconn in more recent years has had to look at the mountain in November only to find the FF or NC looking at them in April. Geno is many things to many people the one thing he is --is the greatest March April Coach in the business---the record says so.
What I liked most of the Virginia game was the 3 kids are now on notice: You did it once now you must do it often. The future of this year shines brightly--but we don't have smooth seas ahead.

Reaction Score
So we are 4 games in....each game was more improved than the prior! What’s fun to me about each and every game is the way these gals truly like playing together and how much effort they put in. Smooth sailing, no but who cares as it’s going to be a Fun Season! Loved the crowd react to Anna’s first three and she did too! Let’s be positive as most of the comments are today.

Reaction Score

Time for an assessment of the UVA game.

1. It was thrilling to watch UCONN in this game. Olivia is a different person. Tough, aggressive and athletic. If she keeps hitting the fade away jumpers and those 12 footers, she'll be an All American in no time. More to the point, she makes UCONN a force. on both ends of the court.

2. The Core three ( Olivia now entering a level of her own ) were wonderful, as expected. When there was stress early ( Uconn could do nothing and UVA was red hot ), Megan stood up and said, " that's it...we are taking over." And she drilled a three. Then everyone jumped on the bandwagon.

3. The two freshman are such a pleasure to watch. Anna started hitting her threes and her demeanor changed before our eyes. More aggressiveness, speed and quality basketball. Aubrey had less time on the court, but impressed even more. Watch her and you are consistently amazed. I keep wanting to use the word, " dazzle." Her jumping and rebounding; her passing, her lightening quick defense and , soon enough, she will be draining threes. Each game is worth watching just to see how these players improve. We could soon have great players on the court all the time.

4. The bench was used differently ( in my opinion better ) than in recent years. Kyla showed a new level of capability, and has to have moved way up in Geno's eyes. And in ours. Kyla did everything well...shooting, rebounding, screening, taking fouls, and passing. She clearly knows the offense inside and out. And she made two of the best passes for assists you will ever see. Molly has improved, as well. It may well be that her wrist held back her shooting, but she is always more inclined to pass than shoot. Nonetheless, she played pretty flawlessly. Error free. And that is a major step-up. It means she can come in to spell the guard position, and the team will carry on just fine. She can contribute mightily in that capacity. I still have little to no read on the transfer player, but it is hard to imagine a major contribution from her.

My conclusion is that this team " is going to be a team to be reckoned with." And it is a relief not to have to hear endless tales about being ranked number one, consecutive winning streaks, etc. This is a team for which little is expected around the circuit. It is relaxing to be " under the radar."

But beware.

Reaction Score
I’m delighted with the progress of the defense. I mean by all stretch of the imagination Liv didn’t have a great game and the team still hung in there.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Thought I would try a point - counterpoint

Time for an assessment of the UVA game.

1. It was thrilling to watch UCONN in this game. Olivia is a different person. Tough, aggressive and athletic. If she keeps hitting the fade away jumpers and those 12 footers, she'll be an All American in no time. More to the point, she makes UCONN a force. on both ends of the court.

The outside shot and her high low pass action are great but she needs to do alot of her work in the post and feel like she owns it. In this game, she had some of her best spin post moves of the year. One was called a foul (too aggressive) but the other was sweet. She also got in to the post multiple times and was fouled. Her defense is light years ahead of last year.

2. The Core three ( Olivia now entering a level of her own ) were wonderful, as expected. When there was stress early ( Uconn could do nothing and UVA was red hot ), Megan stood up and said, " that's it...we are taking over." And she drilled a three. Then everyone jumped on the bandwagon.

So you think Olivia is the best player? That is a stretch. I think core 4 is still accurate but if that changes, it is because Anna will make it a core 5. And Kyla and Aubrey will be the Supersubs.

3. The two freshman are such a pleasure to watch. Anna started hitting her threes and her demeanor changed before our eyes. More aggressiveness, speed and quality basketball. Aubrey had less time on the court, but impressed even more. Watch her and you are consistently amazed. I keep wanting to use the word, " dazzle." Her jumping and rebounding; her passing, her lightening quick defense and , soon enough, she will be draining threes. Each game is worth watching just to see how these players improve. We could soon have great players on the court all the time.

Don't ask Aubrey to think about 3's. There will be plenty of time in her 4 years to get her range out there. Keep getting on the boards and finsih through contact. Also, show some of those slash drives and dont overrun the fast breaks. I think her defense was even better against UVA than Temple but offensively, she has to calm her nerves a bit and get her FT's up. That will happen soon I am sure.

4. The bench was used differently ( in my opinion better ) than in recent years. Kyla showed a new level of capability, and has to have moved way up in Geno's eyes. And in ours. Kyla did everything well...shooting, rebounding, screening, taking fouls, and passing. She clearly knows the offense inside and out. And she made two of the best passes for assists you will ever see. Molly has improved, as well. It may well be that her wrist held back her shooting, but she is always more inclined to pass than shoot. Nonetheless, she played pretty flawlessly. Error free. And that is a major step-up. It means she can come in to spell the guard position, and the team will carry on just fine. She can contribute mightily in that capacity. I still have little to no read on the transfer player, but it is hard to imagine a major contribution from her.

I would say it is more accurate that the bench performed differently. If the bench played (and I assume practiced) at the level we are seeing now, Geno would put them in sooner, longer and at more critical junctures. It is up to the players to figure out how to earn the time. Regarding Adebayo, I think she has some slick offensive moves but I thought she was supposed to be a strong rebounder and that I have not seen yet.

My conclusion is that this team " is going to be a team to be reckoned with." And it is a relief not to have to hear endless tales about being ranked number one, consecutive winning streaks, etc. This is a team for which little is expected around the circuit. It is relaxing to be " under the radar."

We still have our AAC winning streak and home court winning streak and 12 FF winning streak. :D

But beware.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
I have been thinking about what Geno is and isn’t saying about this team. He is talking about how hard he is working coaching this group. I’am certain that is true, but what he isn’t saying that is more indicative is this team is extremely coach able they are like sponges taking it all in and have bought totally into the program so early in the season. This season is going to be great, let’s hope this mindset takes hold through the whole season, we will all be thrilled with the outcome.

Reaction Score
:):):):):):):):)

A month ago it was a lost season. Horrors!!! No depth, no size. No stars.

We win 4 games against competition that's mediocre at best and suddenly we have a shot at No 1?

The world isn't black and white, feast or famine, win or lose. Only in a digital world which this isn't. We live in an analogue world.

Time for a reality check. Sure, we looked good against Virginia. But it was Virginia. I don't like to rain on the parade but:

2018 - On Jan 8th the Vols were 15-0. They won their 1st round NCAA game 100-60 and lost their next game.

2019 - Tenn started the year 8-0 and on Jan 1st they were 12-1, losing only to Stanford, the team that beat Baylor. They lost their 1st round NCAA game, finished 19-13 and the coach got fired.

Back in the days when I placed wagers on athletic contests a friend used to like to say that bookies don't pay for halftime scores.

Reaction Score
:):):):):):):):)

A month ago it was a lost season. Horrors!!! No depth, no size. No stars.

We win 4 games against competition that's mediocre at best and suddenly we have a shot at No 1?

The world isn't black and white, feast or famine, win or lose. Only in a digital world which this isn't. We live in an analogue world.

Time for a reality check. Sure, we looked good against Virginia. But it was Virginia. I don't like to rain on the parade but:

2018 - On Jan 8th the Vols were 15-0. They won their 1st round NCAA game 100-60 and lost their next game.

2019 - Tenn started the year 8-0 and on Jan 1st they were 12-1, losing only to Stanford, the team that beat Baylor. They lost their 1st round NCAA game, finished 19-13 and the coach got fired.

Back in the days when I placed wagers on athletic contests a friend used to like to say that bookies don't pay for halftime scores.
A good dose of reality. However, if they remain healthy and continue to develop along the lines of what we have seen so far....there is reason to think they can be a great team come March.

Reaction Score
A good dose of reality. However, if they remain healthy and continue to develop along the lines of what we have seen so far....there is reason to think they can be a great team come March.

I totally agree.

Reaction Score
If Anna Banana can consistantly hit 3s then I will drink your kool-aid..

Reaction Score
Twelve passes resulting in a wide open three pointer. That should be in Webster's dictionary under Uconn Basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom