OT: - Combatting Poison Ivy | The Boneyard

OT: Combatting Poison Ivy

Reaction Score
Alright, folks. As always I'm coming to the yard in the off-season for all my needs.

New house has poison ivy encroaching from 2 places. It's climbing and going through the chain link fence in the back that we got for my dog. I am one of the lucky few who just doesn't react to poison ivy. My wife is not, and is currently on steroids. (Apparently is isn't funny to call her Ronnie Coleman all day or yell "yeaj buddy!").

I sprayed it with some poison ivy killer that came in a jug from Home Depot maybe 3 days ago. It doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Help me out? I am normally big on being environmentally friendly. Today I am not. What radioactive, carcinogenic, vile materials that could kill most species on earth, and forbidden techniques will help me kill this god forsaken ?

So I just need to get a few gallons of this poison ivy killer and blast it every day for a month?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

This is everything you need and then some. Google and see if you have a Lesco dealer near you.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Funny enough, I just picked up my yearly prescription for steroidal antibiotics to stop my spreading poison ivy. I dno where I get it but every summer I step in some and 2 weeks later my whole body is covered

Reaction Score
One note - Technu is a special soap that removes the oil from skin/animals/clothes. (you can get at CVS/Amazon) I used it the last time I had a poison ivy reaction and I'm not saying the poison ivy reaction stopped immediately, but it was basically gone overnight.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Are you concerned about other vegetation in the area? If not roundup (glyphosate) kills anything green.
Came back to post this. The product I posted above is 41% Glyphosate and kills EVERYTHING so be careful if using it around grass or bushes you care about.

Reaction Score
Came back to post this. The product I posted above is 41% Glyphosate and kills EVERYTHING so be careful if using it around grass or bushes you care about.

I'm willing to murder it all if I must, but I would rather avoid it if I can help it. Most of the stuff is behind my fence, so I'm not too concerned.

Looks like you can get the stuff at Tractor Supply. May take a run tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Until the poison ivy is eradicated, be careful not to expose yourself to the oils from your dog. I was careful not to get near the poison ivy but it still spread to me since the oils were on my dog's coat.

Reaction Score
Here’s a treatment that few people who haven’t hammered iron know. Quench water. Next time you have a good sized fire, put a piece of rebar (or any non galvanized, non painted steel), and get it orange hot. Using players or tongs, quench the orange part in almost hot water (ideally around 110( in a steel bucket. When that water cools you will have a fast acting relief that costs nothing.
I’ve done this stove top with a propane burner. Steel only got black hot, and while still effective, it wasn’t nearly as good as doing it in a smaller batch of water, with a very hot piece of steel.

It’s better than any lotion.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The key is to get it in the start of the season. Soon as those leaves show up, spray them and keep spraying them.

My father-in-law made his own spray using rock salt. I pointed out to him that pretty much nothing was going to grow there for the next decade or so but it seemed an acceptable trade off to him.

Reaction Score
Moved into my house 3 years ago and have been fighting that three leaved menace in a few spots. If you don't react to it, pull it by hand. Put it in black garbage bags and put it in the trash. It's the best way to get rid of it.

Reaction Score
Until the poison ivy is eradicated, be careful not to expose yourself to the oils from your dog. I was careful not to get near the poison ivy but it still spread to me since the oils were on my dog's coat.

My dog has free reign of the couch, bed, and chairs. This is not possible. Lol

Reaction Score
Here’s a treatment that few people who haven’t hammered iron know. Quench water. Next time you have a good sized fire, put a piece of rebar (or any non galvanized, non painted steel), and get it orange hot. Using players or tongs, quench the orange part in almost hot water (ideally around 110( in a steel bucket. When that water cools you will have a fast acting relief that costs nothing.
I’ve done this stove top with a propane burner. Steel only got black hot, and while still effective, it wasn’t nearly as good as doing it in a smaller batch of water, with a very hot piece of steel.

It’s better than any lotion.
Can you store it or is it the kind of thing you make when you need it?

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Are you concerned about other vegetation in the area? If not roundup (glyphosate) kills anything green.
Including his thumbs, eventually

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I've heard that swimming in the ocean dries out the already affected areas and brings major relief.

Reaction Score
Ivarest is an amazing product if your wife needs relief. I was covered in poison ivy once and that stuff was a miracle.

Reaction Score
Ivarest is an amazing product if your wife needs relief. I was covered in poison ivy once and that stuff was a miracle.

Noted. I'm going to CVS in a few for materials and will look for it

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom