OT: - Combatting Poison Ivy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Combatting Poison Ivy

Reaction Score
Burn it.

Not really of course, worst thing that can be done and can kill you if the smoke/vaporized oils are inhaled.
Burning poison ivy was the inspiration for xyclon B!

Last edited:

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
If poison ivy is like poison oak, dig it up. I had 3 acres of poison oak in my yard, and lots of poison oak outside my yard. Spraying did not help -- it killed the leaves and sprouts that I sprayed, but not the plant because the roots were at least 3' deep and 3" in diameter and went out of my yard. The only method that worked was digging it up.

I came to believe that the poison oak plants in my yard were the same plant as the poison oak in a friend's yard 2 miles away. She had to dig it up too. I asked an Oregon State U researcher who responded that poison oak may rival aspen trees for the largest organism in the country. We could not get money to do a DNA analysis.

Reaction Score
Noted. I'm going to CVS in a few for materials and will look for it
Alright, folks. As always I'm coming to the yard in the off-season for all my needs.

New house has poison ivy encroaching from 2 places. It's climbing and going through the chain link fence in the back that we got for my dog. I am one of the lucky few who just doesn't react to poison ivy. My wife is not, and is currently on steroids. (Apparently is isn't funny to call her Ronnie Coleman all day or yell "yeaj buddy!").

I sprayed it with some poison ivy killer that came in a jug from Home Depot maybe 3 days ago. It doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Help me out? I am normally big on being environmentally friendly. Today I am not. What radioactive, carcinogenic, vile materials that could kill most species on earth, and forbidden techniques will help me kill this god forsaken ?

So I just need to get a few gallons of this poison ivy killer and blast it every day for a month?
I am highly allergic like your wife, and have dealt with poison ivy in my yard with Roundup. I don’t give a crap how toxic it is, bc I kills the poison ivy. I have been down the road of having to get prednisone one too many times bc of that nasty plant, so when I’m using roundup my only thought is “DIE, m’fer, DIE!”

Also- if your wife thinks she has come in contact with it, Technu helps, IvaRest is good too, and don’t bother with the calamine lotion. That stuff doesn’t touch PI when I get it

Reaction Score
yer gonna need an ocean, of calamine lotion

Attachments

• IMG_0020.gif
    IMG_0020.gif
    930.7 KB · Views: 4
Reaction Score
For your wife’s sake, you should move. You’ll never get rid of it and it’s pure hell

Well, we just moved in and I spent 5 months renovating the place, so I'm thinking that isn't an option. It's only along the back edge of the fence... I think she can manage to stay away if needed.

Reaction Score
I have a relative who swears my a mixture of vinegar, soap and salt.
If you can get it out to it safely, boiling water pour on it can do the trick.

Also, I'm impressed no one made a Batman reference here.

Reaction Score
Well, we just moved in and I spent 5 months renovating the place, so I'm thinking that isn't an option. It's only along the back edge of the fence... I think she can manage to stay away if needed.
Assuming that renovations cost you big, spending a little more on a professional company to remove it physically and with commercial chemicals might be the way to go, and it will save you from getting exposed. They will also remove other noxious plants and give you a nice weeding baseline. Keeping up with weeding after establishing a baseline is also far easier than attempting to do it yourself. On a personal note, the only thing I hate worse than folding laundry is weeding.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom