Column on Oregon's Loss to Stanford | The Boneyard

Column on Oregon's Loss to Stanford

Reaction Score
On retrospect, this may be exactly what Oregon needed. The team is just incredibly talented. They have four starters shooting over .400 3-point pct. Hard to believe Sabally is a freshman. Hebard's inside game is crafty and efficient (and a bit redolent of Napheesa's). Erin Boley's 13 ppg puts her fourth among the starters, and she shoots .453 from three-point land. Even Cazorla averages 10ppg--the least of the starters. Given the home region advantage, and Ionescu's "lesson", it is a safe guess that Oregon will destroy the early tournament competition (God help whoever they play next) and are an odds-on favorite to reach the FF.

Reaction Score
On retrospect, this may be exactly what Oregon needed. The team is just incredibly talented. They have four starters shooting over .400 3-point pct. Hard to believe Sabally is a freshman. Hebard's inside game is crafty and efficient (and a bit redolent of Napheesa's). Erin Boley's 13 ppg puts her fourth among the starters, and she shoots .453 from three-point land. Even Cazorla averages 10ppg--the least of the starters. Given the home region advantage, and Ionescu's "lesson", it is a safe guess that Oregon will destroy the early tournament competition (God help whoever they play next) and are an odds-on favorite to reach the FF.
Satou Sabally is not a freshman. Her sister Nyara is a freshman and is also on the Oregon roster, but has missed this whole season with an injury.

Oregon Ducks 2018-19 Team Player Roster - College Basketball - ESPN

Reaction Score
It was a terrible game. Stanford was outclassed and out played. It hung in there long enough to get the win.
Sabrina --is an outstanding kid and an outstanding player. She'll be talked about in the WNBA for 10 or more years. It was a terrible game. I had no interest in who may have won that game it's just the play of Standford would not have won a game in the AAC.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Ionescu is a great talent, but this is not the first time she attempted to take over a game and came up short. 2 years ago in the Elite 8 game against UConn, Kia hounded her into multiple TO’s and bad shots to start off the game until Graves had to sit her down. Last year, in the 2nd half vs ND, she repeatedly drove into trouble as Oregon once again fell in the Elite 8.

Ionescu is incredibly talented and a fierce competitor. Her biggest shortcoming is that in pressure situations she tries all to often to do it all on her own.

Reaction Score
Ionescu is a great talent, but this is not the first time she attempted to take over a game and came up short. 2 years ago in the Elite 8 game against UConn, Kia hounded her into multiple TO’s and bad shots to start off the game until Graves had to sit her down. Last year, in the 2nd half vs ND, she repeatedly drove into trouble as Oregon once again fell in the Elite 8.

Ionescu is incredibly talented and a fierce competitor. Her biggest shortcoming is that in pressure situations she tries all to often to do it all on her own.

Not to start a brawl but Samuelson has the same problem.

Reaction Score
But to be fair to her, in big games in the past and in this year, she's been the only player capable of getting a shot off in pressure situations. UConn doesn't have a great player that can create off the dribble, and Collier can't always dominate against bigger competition.

Reaction Score
That article to me confirmed how lucky we are to have Pheesa..... I don't see a need to be negative on this board about Sabrina but instead celebrate Pheesa even more.

Reaction Score
But to be fair to her, in big games in the past and in this year, she's been the only player capable of getting a shot off in pressure situations. UConn doesn't have a great player that can create off the dribble, and Collier can't always dominate against bigger competition.
I've noticed lately that Pheesa is just running the floor herself so that may be her way of still getting at create her own shot..

Reaction Score

And I don't think Graves has created the authority that Geno does to demand her to grow beyond that inclination.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
You are correct, but then again no one, not even myself-a self proclaimed KLS Superfan believes her to be the NPOY, yet many others thought SI to be that.
The real question is simply who deserves the NPOY - Ionesco, Collier or Gustafson? Everyone else is far behind. All 3 are tremendous, all 3 have a perception flaw of “are they clutch”? There really is no wrong answer here.
For me, what Napheesa has done since KLS went down vaults her to the top. When Hebard went down, Oregon lost 2 games (@OSU and at home to UCLA). Granted tougher teams than Collier played but Sabrina struggled in both of these games, unable to elevate her game. Give Pheesa!!!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I find it interesting that a number of BY'ers criticized Lou after each of the FF losses during the last two years for not taking charge and here you criticize her for trying to do to much. I guess she's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.

Reaction Score
That is some serious hyperbole there. I think it's more accurate to say Stanford's play would've been good enough to beat anyone in the AAC other than UConn.
Mis stated: The game Stanford played against Oregon would not have beaten many in the AAC, they were terrible. Hyperbole, you are kind---.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Mis stated: The game Stanford played against Oregon would not have beaten many in the AAC, they were terrible. Hyperbole, you are kind---.

Maybe I misread your first post. The game Oregon beat Stanford by 40 in Maples, sure that was a poor effort, the Cardinal would've lost to a lot of teams that day. If you are referring to the Pac 12 Tournament final, I strongly disagree with you.

Reaction Score

Actually UConn's guards are both capable of creating off the dribble.

Reaction Score
Is the “triple-double queen” losing some of her luster at the most inopportune time?

Gustafson & Pheesa dominated last weekend. Never really thought Ionescu wouldn’t win NPOY until now. Still wouldn’t be shocked but it truly is WIDE OPEN as it should be based on how crazy this season has been. So much fun!

Reaction Score
As much as I hate there style of basketball because I think it is just ugly to watch and medically dangerous, I think UCF can be an upset opponent for any of the top teams not at 100%. I know it is just the AAC conference but their possession limiting style can be catastrophic to a good team having a bad shooting night and maybe missing a starter. That's why I think Geno was so satisfied with the conference title. It showed real maturity. Besides Rutgers, not sure there are a lot of P5 conference teams that play that style of basketball. I wouldn't be surprised if they win a game and maybe come close to winning a second in the tournament. I would be interested to see a top team minus their KLS take on UCF.

Reaction Score
As much as I hate there style of basketball because I think it is just ugly to watch and medically dangerous, I think UCF can be an upset opponent for any of the top teams not at 100%. I know it is just the AAC conference but their possession limiting style can be catastrophic to a good team having a bad shooting night and maybe missing a starter. That's why I think Geno was so satisfied with the conference title. It showed real maturity. Besides Rutgers, not sure there are a lot of P5 conference teams that play that style of basketball. I wouldn't be surprised if they win a game and maybe come close to winning a second in the tournament. I would be interested to see a top team minus their KLS take on UCF.
I sincerely hope that UCF somehow gets matched up against Missouri. I think UCF might get brawled out of the building by Sophie Cunningham.

Reaction Score
I sincerely hope that UCF somehow gets matched up against Missouri. I think UCF might get brawled out of the building by Sophie Cunningham.
Good one. That would be quite a battle. I wonder if the refs could keep control of that game.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I don't usually disagree with you but, I believe you are wrong in saying Stanford's play against Oregon would not have beaten many in the AAC. What team would it not have beaten? Any team playing a terrible game would not have beaten Oregon, imo. Maybe not Stanford's best game but not a terrible one.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Is the “triple-double queen” losing some of her luster at the most inopportune time?

Gustafson & Pheesa dominated last weekend. Never really thought Ionescu wouldn’t win NPOY until now. Still wouldn’t be shocked but it truly is WIDE OPEN as it should be based on how crazy this season has been. So much fun!
There are multiple major NPOY awards. We may see 2 or 3 different winners.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score

I don't think a game when Ionescu was a freshman and Oregon an 11 seed playing UCONN in the Elite 8 on the East Coast (and right after beating Maryland) is really a very fair measuring stick. I likewise believe that "all too often" is an overstatement. But, that said, I agree that this is the downside of Ionescu's competitiveness. Getting things "just right" is a challenge for any very talented player, and at any level, and doing so in game after game is imo always a work in progress with inevitable failures along the way. To me, Oregon is at its best when she scores around her average and takes 15 shots or so. That was certainly not the case in the Pac 12 tournament final, and in the game with UCLA as well. (Graves's UCLA postgame comment about "shots I couldn't believe" was, I think, clearly aimed in her direction.). But, ideally anyway, this will be lesson going forward, as was, presumably, Notre Dame's loss to Louisville in last year's ACC final.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Asia Durr should be included in your list. IMO this is a four player race. The probable winner will be Ionesco. Pheesa could be the surprise winner.

You are correct, but then again no one, not even myself-a self proclaimed KLS Superfan believes her to be the NPOY, yet many others thought SI to be that.
The real question is simply who deserves the NPOY - Ionesco, Collier or Gustafson? Everyone else is far behind. All 3 are tremendous, all 3 have a perception flaw of “are they clutch”? There really is no wrong answer here.
For me, what Napheesa has done since KLS went down vaults her to the top. When Hebard went down, Oregon lost 2 games (@OSU and at home to UCLA). Granted tougher teams than Collier played but Sabrina struggled in both of these games, unable to elevate her game. Give Pheesa!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom