colored hair, tats, nail polish, social media | The Boneyard

colored hair, tats, nail polish, social media

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
do you really think recruits turn away from UConn for these reasons?

Reaction Score
The rules are no crazy hair colors{pink, green, etc} during the season, tats must covered up when at practice and games, no nail polish during games or practice, and no social media during the season. If you cant sacrifice those things for the Basketball season then I don't think you are UConn material.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The rules are no crazy hair colors{pink, green, etc} during the season, tats must covered up when at practice and games, no nail polish during games or practice, and no social media during the season. If you cant sacrifice those things for the Basketball season then I don't think you are UConn material.
thanks for clearing that up Coach Dailey :D

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Also Chris Dailey has a dress code that the players adhere to when on the road or attending an event.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Well, having had two daughters, and having coached high school softball for eight years, I suspect that, yes, there would be some recruits that would not want to bend to those restrictions. It can be an age when the natural development of independence takes some interesting twists and turns. In hindsight, some of the things we stubbornly cling to, when young, seem pretty unimportant, if not downright foolish.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Also Chris Dailey has a dress code that the players adhere to when on the road or attending an event.
details, if you know exactly

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
IIRC, I remember that they need to be neatly dressed when photographed with the team, no tshirts hanging out, etc and CD also had a thing about kids getting off the bus with headphones. These days she probably (my guess) doesn't want them staring at their phones while reporters are around, either.

These aren't rules on how the players need to dress all the time - it's when they're together as a team and being photographed, such as getting off the bus at the Final Four, being interviewed and such.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Anyone know of any men's teams that has similar codes? I'm not objecting, because uniform and unity is part of being a team, but I wonder if anyone other programs do similar things.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Whatever the rules are, they certainly haven't hurt the team's won-lost record. It's hard to argue with old-fashioned rules that winnow the pool in recruiting and bring a certain kind of young woman to UConn.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Anyone know of any men's teams that has similar codes? I'm not objecting, because uniform and unity is part of being a team, but I wonder if anyone other programs do similar things.

Don't think so. I do believe there is something about wearing team gear on road trips, but all the guys wear warm ups anyway, so that point is moot. Hard enough to recruit on the mens side without throwing unnecessary road blocks in your way.

For the women, it's probably a small advantage in that it might weed out a few kids every year who wouldn't have been as likely to buy into the program.

Reaction Score
IIRC, I remember that they need to be neatly dressed when photographed with the team, no tshirts hanging out, etc and CD also had a thing about kids getting off the bus with headphones. These days she probably (my guess) doesn't want them staring at their phones while reporters are around, either.

These aren't rules on how the players need to dress all the time - it's when they're together as a team and being photographed, such as getting off the bus at the Final Four, being interviewed and such.
No jeans, too.

Reaction Score

Dress code certainly. I would imagine there are certainly men's teams that have in season twitter bans. As far as covering up tattoos I can't think of a college program, but the high school that LeBron James attended had a policy and meeting involved more than a bandaid. He had to wear large team colored patches on his arms to cover up his tattoos.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Dress code certainly. I would imagine there are certainly men's teams that have in season twitter bans. As far as covering up tattoos I can't think of a college program, but the high school that LeBron James attended had a policy and meeting involved more than a bandaid. He had to wear large team colored patches on his arms to cover up his tattoos.
and tats in high school is strange anyways... parents approval is a must

Reaction Score
The team (Caroline, Kelly, Stefanie, Kaleena, Breanna and Bria) discussed it on ESPN last year before the Final Four...no headphones, no painted nails; pantyhose or business casual at dinner or public events...

Reaction Score
Duke Men's Lacrosse wears jackets and ties when they travel.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The team (Caroline, Kelly, Stefanie, Kaleena, Breanna and Bria) discussed it on ESPN last year before the Final Four...no headphones, no painted nails; pantyhose or business casual at dinner or public events...

I never understood the 'pantyhose' thing.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
oh ok... I missed that cause I dont watch all the pre-game jibberish. thanks for the details

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I think there are a lot of men's teams that travel to and from games in ties and jackets. I know it is prevalent in Football; one of Tressel's Ohio State teams came to the movieplex I was auditing the night before a game and all were in jackets and ties - all the ties were, IIRC, red; he was in his customary sweater.

Most women's teams have some sort of dress code when the team is in public together. RU always had matching warm-ups every time I saw them as a team, i.e. traveling. Although there was no specific outfit after a game, at the occasional meet and greet affair, they were always dressed nicely, no ripped jeans, etc.

As to tats, as as been discussed ad infinitum, I don't especially like them but I really don't see that they need to be covered. In spite of the fact that at one time at least Vivian made players cover theirs.

I do support dress codes and the like, but I suspect my standards are a bit too loose for some.

Reaction Score
Meh. All of those things would be turn-offs for me if I were a college student. I currently have a job that pays crappy money where I work 80 hours a week for a cause that I care about, so it's not like I'm lazy or undisciplined. I don't think they're the worst rules in the world (especially the rule about social media) but I don't think it's fair to say that anyone who finds them to be a turn-off isn't UConn material.

Reaction Score
Meh. All of those things would be turn-offs for me if I were a college student. I currently have a job that pays crappy money where I work 80 hours a week for a cause that I care about, so it's not like I'm lazy or undisciplined. I don't think they're the worst rules in the world (especially the rule about social media) but I don't think it's fair to say that anyone who finds them to be a turn-off isn't UConn material.

I didn't say that. What I said was anyone not willing to give up those things for the 4-5 months of basketball season is not UConn material.

Reaction Score
I didn't say that. What I said was anyone not willing to give up those things for the 4-5 months of basketball season is not UConn material.
What does it mean to be "unwilling to give up those things"? UConn recruits could go anywhere else, including a lot of other schools that have a history (although a less impressive one) of preparing kids for NCAA success and for the WNBA. Maybe the thing about colored hair is the thing that makes the difference (as it honestly might have been for me at that age). That doesn't (on it's own) mean that the kid in question isn't UConn material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom