Colorado in the Dance? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Colorado in the Dance?

Reaction Score
Not buying that excuse when theyre #277 for OOC.
The Utah coach has said that she tries to get better teams but it's hard to get a team to fl into Utah. The Arizona coaches have mirrored that as well. Sometimes there is a double standard where as reputation will get you a pass for a poor out of conference record. If you went by Baylors out of conference record, except for their one or two games against top ranked team their ranking would totally suck as well.

My point is that a team that plays a team ranked a hundred points lower than them has little chance to lose. So why is a victory over a higher-ranked, but still a team you can beat easily any more challenging than one that is a cupcake? You play a team ranked a hundred points lower than you and beat them in overtime and the other team beats a team ranked 50 points lower than first teams opponent by 50 points and the first team's victory is valued much more. I advocate eliminating any team that is more than 150 points ( an arbitrary number ) lower than yourself from the equation unless you lose. This would eliminate cupcake wins as well as not allowing those games to unrealistically pull down a stronger teams rating. I mean the entire purpose is to gauge a team's strength removed from their won-loss record. Isn't it.

Reaction Score
The Utah coach has said that she tries to get better teams but it's hard to get a team to fl into Utah. The Arizona coaches have mirrored that as well. Sometimes there is a double standard where as reputation will get you a pass for a poor out of conference record. If you went by Baylors out of conference record, except for their one or two games against top ranked team their ranking would totally suck as well.

My point is that a team that plays a team ranked a hundred points lower than them has little chance to lose. So why is a victory over a higher-ranked, but still a team you can beat easily any more challenging than one that is a cupcake? You play a team ranked a hundred points lower than you and beat them in overtime and the other team beats a team ranked 50 points lower than first teams opponent by 50 points and the first team's victory is valued much more. I advocate eliminating any team that is more than 150 points ( an arbitrary number ) lower than yourself from the equation unless you lose. This would eliminate cupcake wins as well as not allowing those games to unrealistically pull down a stronger teams rating. I mean the entire purpose is to gauge a team's strength removed from their won-loss record. Isn't it.

Sometimes if you want to schedule a "better team", you need to fly out of Utah.

Reaction Score
Sometimes if you want to schedule a "better team", you need to fly out of Utah.

Utah coach will only play good teams if they fly to Utah? Well does she offer to fly anywhere to take her team? Double standard? Most teams do home and homes. Utah did not play a single power 5 team in the non conf portion of their schedule. If they played on the road this year at a power 5 school, I bet they could have gotten an agreement for that power 5 schools to return the favor and play at Utah next year.

Now if Utah only wants schools to fly into Utah and play without receiving a home game in return, then their coach is delusional. Also for recruiting purposes I think teams have little incentive to play at Utah. I know some teams will try to get games in areas they like to recruit, talent rich areas, so they can be seen by recruits. Well Utah is not some hotbed for talent so maybe teams have no interest in playing there?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
To answer the OP...nope. Just got swept on the road by the Washington schools. You just can't do that. Utah won both.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

Will-it has been noted that both Kim and Brenda have played notoriously soft OOC. A few years ago, Brenda had a great record and her poll standings had her around the top 5, she was put in Albany at a much lower seed than she felt she deserved as the issue was her RPI wasn't good. She has since toughened up her schedule to warrant better seeding. For Baylor, the issue of a higher RPI due to the soft OOC hasn't really hurt them as they win their conference and still get a top 2 seed. Your issue you are trying to defend is to include peripheral teams like Utah and Colorado who want to make the dance on the backs of the dregs of the D1 teams. They are not winning enough conference games and therefore the committee looks to their overall RPI and it is not good.

All coaches when building teams have the same issue as the Utah and Colorado coaches yet those that actually build programs find a way to do that. Heck, look at what Kellie Harper scheduled for Missouri State this year before she had left. That requires going on the road to play teams.

Your argument, while a noble effort is not really that logical. The goal of the NCAAT is to get the best remaining 32 teams in the tournament. There are 32 automatic bids, leaving the committee to decide who is deserving. By playing the 290th for Utah and 288th for Colorado out of conference schedules is pathetic no matter who you are in a P5 conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom