Colonial Athletic Association becomes the first league to go OTT with its primary rights package. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Colonial Athletic Association becomes the first league to go OTT with its primary rights package.

Reaction Score
One last point. If FLO Sports has 300k subscribers and 25 channels, then they are taking in about $50 million per year in subscription revenues or ~$2.0 million per channel and have about ~12k subscribers per channel. Thus, the CAA deal would be in-line with their existing business model.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't know what wrestling has to do with the CAA.

I don't think this is a bad deal for either party, I just disputed the numbers.

As I've said, I don't think FloSports has any real skin in the game, certainly not $750,000 a year. And the CAA gets to put its games someplace that its fans can see them if they want.

It's a marriage of convenience, but that doesn't mean it can't last.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Flo has money behind it. They money they're paying DC United and FC Cincinnati for MLS rights is definitely real. Their coverage stinks, but the money's there.

CAA deal is picking nits- whatever money Flo is sending them, the CAA is sending to CBS for a time buy on CBSSN.

That doesn't mean they really are paying anywhere close to the reported number...CBS would probably take way less for CBSSN. They go from having to pay ESPN to sublicense AAC games in 2020-21 to getting money from the CAA to put those games on their air. It cannot be overstated how little CBS appears to care about actually making any moves to expand in the marketplace with CBSSN. Channel isn't rated and that is by design. In a way, its a smart strategy, given what they'd have to pay to actually try and get eyeballs. Now there's this fog where nobody knows what the AAC or CAA does or doesn't rate on there.

As for the Hockey East thing, there is no tv, there is no plan, the entire thing is a joke. They actually have a deal with Flo, who carries the league tournament, but that's probably 5 figures.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Now there's this fog where nobody knows what the AAC or CAA does or doesn't rate on there.
?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The rating I’d love to see is the Katie Nolan show on +. They are paying her huge dollars and I can even figure out how anyone knows the show exists.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The rating I’d love to see is the Katie Nolan show on +. They are paying her huge dollars and I can even figure out how anyone knows the show exists.

I think ESPN heard she was pretty funny and had some Twitter followers so they decided that they desperately needed her to grab some demographic they don't understand and now have no idea what to do with her. Kind of like Bill Simmons, but without the part in the middle where it actually seemed to work out for a while. Also, John Skipper was coked out of his mind and it probably seemed like a good idea.

I think they threw her in a hole filled with money somewhere.

Reaction Score
If a channel doesn't have enough viewers to warrant ratings tracking by Nielsen, that isn't a good sign for whatever conferences air games on that channel.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think ESPN heard she was pretty funny and had some Twitter followers so they decided that they desperately needed her to grab some demographic they don't understand and now have no idea what to do with her. Kind of like Bill Simmons, but without the part in the middle where it actually seemed to work out for a while. Also, John Skipper was coked out of his mind and it probably seemed like a good idea.

I think they threw her in a hole filled with money somewhere.

FOUND HER!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If a channel doesn't have enough viewers to warrant ratings tracking by Nielsen, that isn't a good sign for whatever conferences air games on that channel.

They choose to not pay Neilsen to rate them, which really isn’t a difference in their case.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom