Arike Ogunbowale, Sr., Notre Dame
Katie Lou Samuelson, Sr., UConn
Jessica Shepard, Sr., Notre Dame
Alanna Smith, Sr., Stanford

Totals: 12 seniors, 2 juniors, 1 sophomore

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Taking my pencil out to draw some lines through for the "thanks for playing, you earned your accolades here, take a bow and exit, stage left":
Kalani Brown-good year but you didn't even win Big12 POY or DPOY,
Bridget Carleton-Awesome year for you, you won Big12 POY mostly because Brown wasn't motivated to play every game and your team/coach earned 2nd place!
Chennedy Carter-nice scoring average, next year, work on making your team mates better (oh and your demeanor)
Kaila Charles-not even sure your the best player on your own team but keep up the good work for next year!
Sophie Cunningham-some say your gritty, hard working, most say your dirty and a punk. You do score and help your team but your past transgressions eliminate you here, plus most on this list would take your lunch!
Tearia McCowan-won SEC POY mostly because the SEC is now devoid of any real talent to contend. Thankfully Brown is on this list, otherwise you might be considered the inconsistently motivated player here.
Arike-see Sophie above
Alana Smith-great having you from down under but wave fondly to your school on your flights back home!

That leaves Anigwe, Collier, Durr, Gustafson, Ionsescu, Samuelson and Shepard.
Humbly submitted-:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
If we are taking Kaila Charles out for not being the best player on her team, I would take Katie Lou Samuelson out of the equation too. She has been very inconsistent percentage-wise against low-level competition, especially from behind the arc.

I like to think Collier, Gustafson, and Ionescu are the front-runners. Anigwe has put up great numbers, but the winning aspect isn’t there.

Reaction Score
Taking my pencil out to draw some lines through for the "thanks for playing, you earned your accolades here, take a bow and exit, stage left":
Bridget Carleton-Awesome year for you, you won Big12 POY mostly because Brown wasn't motivated to play every game and your team/coach earned 2nd place!
Chennedy Carter-nice scoring average, next year, work on making your team mates better (oh and your demeanor)
Kaila Charles-not even sure your the best player on your own team but keep up the good work for next year!
Sophie Cunningham-some say your gritty, hard working, most say your dirty and a punk. You do score and help your team but your past transgressions eliminate you here, plus most on this list would take your lunch!
Tearia McCowan-won SEC POY mostly because the SEC is now devoid of any real talent to contend. Thankfully Brown is on this list, otherwise you might be considered the inconsistently motivated player here.
Arike-see Sophie above
Alana Smith-great having you from down under but wave fondly to your school on your flights back home!

Because of your criteria of not winning their own Conference POY or being best on their teams then your list should really be down to Ionescu, Durr, Collier & Gustafson.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Arike-see Sophie above

Who do you think is the best Terp?

Reaction Score
Arike-see Sophie above

Kalani Brown like McCowan get double and tripled team. Difference between the two is Brown is on a well balanced team where almost everyone is a threat.

McCowan....well Idk they aren't as balanced, so I don't have an excuse for her.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Kalani Brown like McCowan get double and tripled team. Difference between the two is Brown is on a well balanced team where almost everyone is a threat.

Then if Kalani Brown is getting triple teamed, then Lauren Cox would be in the mix and probably at the top of the offensive statistics.
In the Baylor games that I have seen, Cox had certainly outperformed Brown.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score

Care to present some evidence here? MSU has 7 players averaging 6+ points a game (acknowledging one is now out for the year).

I have a feeling Teaira is about to remind everyone in the NCAA tourney why she's likely to be a very high draft pick.

Reaction Score
Care to present some evidence here? MSU has 7 players averaging 6+ points a game (acknowledging one is now out for the year).

I have a feeling Teaira is about to remind everyone in the NCAA tourney why she's likely to be a very high draft pick.
I have more of an issue with Kalani’s rebounding than anything. That has nothing to do with being double or triple teamed. McCowan has done everything but does tend to disappear offensively some games. She’s just not as polished as Brown but she’s come a very long way & I personally think she’s a great personality in interviews. I enjoy her humor!

Reaction Score
I have more of an issue with Kalani’s rebounding than anything. That has nothing to do with being double or triple teamed. McCowan has done everything but does tend to disappear offensively some games. She’s just not as polished as Brown but she’s come a very long way & I personally think she’s a great personality in interviews. I enjoy her humor!

Kalani has never really been as dominate of a rebounder. Even last year her rebound numbers weren't that high. However, last year she played a lot more minutes due lack of depth and injuries. This Lauren has become more dominant and this freshman class has taken up some of her minutes.

I won't fully disagree that their have been games where she just didn't seem motivated.

Reaction Score

It's just my Opinion that MSU isn't as Balanced as Baylor.

Reaction Score

However, then I did research and this is what I found.

You said MSST has 7 players averaging over 6+ ppg.

Baylor has
Kalani Brown avg 15.3 ppg
Lauren Cox avg 12.5 ppg
Juicy Landrum avg 11.4 ppg
Chloe Jackson avg 11.2 ppg
Didi Richards avg 6.3 ppg
Nalyssa Smith avg 8.3 ppg
Queen Egbo avg 5.6 ppg

Having four starters avg double digits is mainly where I got the idea. However, Baylor's bench outscored Tech's 52-0 in the game yesterday. I truly think it's why they are successful this season.

Where I see State's main success being your great post duo.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
However, then I did research and this is what I found.

You said MSST has 7 players averaging over 6+ ppg.

Baylor has
Kalani Brown avg 15.3 ppg
Lauren Cox avg 12.5 ppg
Juicy Landrum avg 11.4 ppg
Chloe Jackson avg 11.2 ppg
Didi Richards avg 6.3 ppg
Nalyssa Smith avg 8.3 ppg
Queen Egbo avg 5.6 ppg

Having four starters avg double digits is mainly where I got the idea. However, Baylor's bench outscored Tech's 52-0 in the game yesterday. I truly think it's why they are successful this season.

Where I see State's main success being your great post duo.

I think Baylor and State are the two most balanced teams among the top 8. Though Stanford looks pretty balanced too. Not saying we're necessarily balanced, but compared to the other top teams....I think only Baylor tops us.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think Baylor and State are the two most balanced teams among the top 8. Though Stanford looks pretty balanced too. Not saying we're necessarily balanced, but compared to the other top teams....I think only Baylor tops us.
More balanced than Notre Dame? No way.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
More balanced than Notre Dame? No way.

The main thing I was thinking was that there's a huge dropoff of talent after the Notre Dame starting 5. Lose one player and they're likely toast.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The main thing I was thinking was that there's a huge dropoff of talent after the Notre Dame starting 5. Lose one player and they're likely toast.
Well that's different. That's called depth, not balance.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Well that's different. That's called depth, not balance.

I saw DallasBaylorFan put the scoring averages of 7 Baylor players, so I just assume the context was that balance had to do with depth. It looked like he was talking about depth to me by naming scoring averages of Baylor bench players. I'd agree Baylor is the deepest. And I agree if we're talking variety..... Notre Dame wins.

Reaction Score
I saw DallasBaylorFan put the scoring averages of 7 Baylor players, so I just assume the context was that balance had to do with depth. It looked like he was talking about depth to me by naming scoring averages of Baylor bench players. I'd agree Baylor is the deepest. And I agree if we're talking variety..... Notre Dame wins.

But that is what I was saying is Baylor has balance and depth. 4 BU starters avg double digits. A lot like ND where I believe all 5 avg double digits. Nobody has to be the every night star because they are very capable of scoring and being a leading scorer.

Reaction Score
Arike-see Sophie above

Accept Arike is a better player then Sophie. I get disqualifying Arike. But She’s better then Sophie. I also understand You disqualified Sophie.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Accept Arike is a better player then Sophie. I get disqualifying Arike. But She’s better then Sophie. I also understand You disqualified Sophie.
I went alphabetically, not eliminating any one player as a rank over another player. Arike is the better player but as you didn't note it, they are also cut from the same cloth, especially when they are on the losing end of a game. Does that make you feel better? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I went alphabetically, not eliminating any one player as a rank over another player. Arike is the better player but as you didn't note it, they are also cut from the same cloth, especially when they are on the losing end of a game. Does that make you feel better? :rolleyes:
As i said I get it. But when You said see above for Arike that’s why I said what I said. But if people are gonna leave Arike out because of some of her antics I get it.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
As i said I get it. But when You said see above for Arike that’s why I said what I said. But if people are gonna leave Arike out because of some of her antics I get it.

After watching Sophie play A LOT of basketball, I honestly believe she is the better player vs Arike, who benefits tremendously from the talent surrounding her.

Sophie got nearly all of Miss State's best defensive attention Saturday, with Danberry and Anriel guarding her, and she still put up 33 of Mizzou's 56 points.

She is the only thing separating MSU from a 31-1 record and a #2 overall seed in the NCAA tourney.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After watching Sophie play A LOT of basketball, I honestly believe she is the better player vs Arike, who benefits tremendously from the talent surrounding her.

Sophie got nearly all of Miss State's best defensive attention Saturday, with Danberry and Anriel guarding her, and she still put up 33 of Mizzou's 56 points.

She is the only thing separating MSU from a 31-1 record and a #2 overall seed in the NCAA tourney.
That’s Your opinion I’d disagree.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom