Collier literally saved us | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Collier literally saved us

Reaction Score
How many of Katie Lou's 17 points didn't Uconn need to night?? Who saved Uconn??
Did Uconn need Chong's 3, Gabby's put back (ok not the one for Tulane).
When Pheesa was not in the game the flow of the uconn game stunk--true. But as great as pheesa was --she did not SAVE Uconn AlONE..
Thank you, thank you, thank you. The tendency for people to focus strictly on their favorite Huskie almost infers that others are considerably less necessary and in today's game, didn't KLS score something like 15 straight points in the second half? The massive amount of rebounds by Gabby probably didn't help the team too much either, did it??? I respect posters desire to talk up a great performance and I've surely done that myself but in some cases it does devalue some others on the team that are overtly essential.

Reaction Score
Worse first half of basketball ever... just after call all other teams games ugly. We got spoiled with a team that we know we're suppose to be average
You do remember that championship game against Stanford for the title when Maya was our Saviour in the second half? What was the score at halftime, 20-12? UConn with only 12 points in a half?

Reaction Score
I'm strunned at how some of the above Boneyarders have used this thread to diminish the impact of Napheesa's effort tonight. The coach of the eleven time National Champions said in his post game press conference that Collier was the one player he could count on game in and game out. That's a pretty strong statement from Geno after having had to watch his team play poorly just moments earlier.

Appreciation for Napheesa will probably always lag because her game is not seen as being as exciting as that of our three point shooter or our Olympic athlete, but as our coach said earlier this evening she is the one we can count on everytime she steps onto the court.

That's enough for me to consider her our MVP, She's not about flash, she's about winning.
You have the right to consider her your MVP. Obviously there are various other Boneyarders who will certainly disagree and I am one. It's somewhat sad that after almost every game there's a need for people to proclaim their MVP and it's been happening all season long. This team is about team. It's the individual skills of players working for a common goal and were it not for the skills of the other starters, do you really think that Napheesa's numbers would be nearly what they are now? I read about some calls KLS didn't get when she was obviously fouled and how she scored something like 15 straight points in the second half when Tulane pulled closer and closer and I saw the amount of rebounds Gabby got but you seemingly feel those things are inconsequential to this win. I don't agree!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
You do remember that championship game against Stanford for the title when Maya was our Saviour in the second half? What was the score at halftime, 20-12? UConn with only 12 points in a half?
but some UConn fans are laughing at other teams scores... this year!

Reaction Score
The OP's argument is valid even if other players made contributions. In field goals Pheesa was 7/9 while the other Huskies collectively were 12/41. She was 11/12 in free throws, the others 8/16. She scored 41 percent of Uconn's points. I would not say that Pheesa's the team's MVP; arguments could be made for Lou or Gabby. But Pheesa's play is the most consistently excellent. It is not a stretch at all to say that she saved the team this time.

Reaction Score
I'm strunned at how some of the above Boneyarders have used this thread to diminish the impact of Napheesa's effort tonight. The coach of the eleven time National Champions said in his post game press conference that Collier was the one player he could count on game in and game out. That's a pretty strong statement from Geno after having had to watch his team play poorly just moments earlier.

Appreciation for Napheesa will probably always lag because her game is not seen as being as exciting as that of our three point shooter or our Olympic athlete, but as our coach said earlier this evening she is the one we can count on everytime she steps onto the court.

May I say---Most By-ers thought last night and think most games Napheesa is a top talent and superb rebounder and scoring machine--her stats are fab.
If NOT believing Napheesa alone --and the apparent effort, rebounding and scoring of others don't deserve credit--then maybe this in the eyes of some is disrespecting Napheese. I don't buy into that hypothesis..

That's enough for me to consider her our MVP, She's not about flash, she's about winning.

Reaction Score
I do not know what is up with Lou.... but I do love her game. Tonight... I was commenting to the group I was watching the game with that all her shots are hitting the rim.... they are not air balls... they are hitting iron.... what in the world is going on??? I hope she can get her shooting touch back soon.

And I know someone started a thread about dropping the whole conversation with people being physical with her and that is why she is missing or not scoring in the last couple of games.... but it does look like she is hit more often then they call fouls on the opponent.

No the game thread was about the first Quarter of the USC game--and KLS was the only one stopping KLS. She was slowed and stopped later by USC.

Some have written her shots hitting the front of the rim --and suggested tired legs--(usually that is true). But Katies shot hit all around and back of the rim--suggesting the ball is leaving her hand differently. She had her pinkie tied to another finger --now it is not--is that the issue?? DT had a mini slump--Maya had one or two minor slumps--great shooter at times can't hit--it becomes and issue when it seeps into the brain-Geno won't let that happen.
It is true--Katie Lou is not happy with being abused and man(women)handled abusively without fouls being called--wouldn;t you??

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
I do not know what is up with Lou.... but I do love her game. Tonight... I was commenting to the group I was watching the game with that all her shots are hitting the rim.... they are not air balls... they are hitting iron.... what in the world is going on??? I hope she can get her shooting touch back soon.

And I know someone started a thread about dropping the whole conversation with people being physical with her and that is why she is missing or not scoring in the last couple of games.... but it does look like she is hit more often then they call fouls on the opponent.

Any team that is LIKELY to lose by a large margin, So - play a new defense. Get in front of big scorers and SEEK to draw a charge by exaggerating all contact. If get "Best players" in foul trouble will disrupt teams chemistry and get Weaker bench players in. Also play VERY PHYSICAL, push, bump, grab, slap, stay close to top UCONN players double-triple team big scorers. Shoot a lot of threes. Watch this Tulane video !!! Tulane lost 100 to 56 on 1-22-2017, this game Tulane lost 63-60, 41 points better by Tulane

Attachments

• web1_UConn-Tulane-CMYK.jpg
    web1_UConn-Tulane-CMYK.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 33
Reaction Score
In the tread about .."The score Tonight"..I almost posted a 4 point LOSS!!
Why..
It's the coach's worst nightmare..we have all heard about it....You win the hype game, beat your best competition, everybody is on cloud nine..could not be more high..practice was more of a float instead of true focus, then we went in not prepare via the proper focus and mental attitude. and it showed, and they played like it showed.. As an example UConn does not miss foul shots with 2 minutes to go.
With a 17 pt lead gone.....Mr Big Time Pressure Was Rearing His UGLY Head"
You know the rest of the story ..But it gives Geno what he has secretly wished for all season....A concrete reason to build on, and that he w ill do, and it could not have come with better timing...For sure another nation Trophy, and undefeated season...

Just keep'em healthy Coaches!!

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I did notice that Geno was all smile and chippy after the game.

Geno's smile was ironic in nature...just watch the presser to confirm that.

Is there some Boneyard rule for posters which stipulates that any form of humor, and its subsequent intention and meaning, verbal or physical, needs to ignored?

Reaction Score
So can we agree that UConn needed everyone's effort but that Collier contributed the most? Beyond that, though, what disturbed me the most was that nothing that UConn generally does well seemed to be working,
-- UConn's switching defense seemed to switch at the wrong times. I cannot tell you how many times a Tulane player got the ball near the left corner and rather than jack up a shot, dribbled toward the corner and turned right, and the UConn player, rather than getting in front of her, let her by (presumably to seal off the middle) and the player was able either to dribble even close to the basket or to hoist up a jumper, with at least some success.
-- The three pointers are not falling. KLS is in a serious slump (not to say she doesn't do other good things. She doies, but if the opponent knows she won't make her threes, all bets are off, especially buse
-- Kia is out, and the threes we are used to seeing from her are daggers in an opponent's heart.
-- Gabby is Gabby, but cannot begin to do it all by herself. I know people have said she will be the complete player if she develops a reliable long jumper. This, friends, is not the time for her to work on that skill.
-- Connecticut's better conditioning didn't help much, You can argue -- and I would agree -- that it's not that Tulane was well-conditioned but that they were running on adrenaline. But they were keeping up with UConn. Don't you think any team that is keeping up with UConn will run on adrenaline for at least a little while?

No, I'm not saying we're doomed, but these factors have to be taken inot consideration as the team moves toward the playoffs. Let's see what Temple brings.

Reaction Score
Agree that she had strong game but she had about 7 points 2nd half and Lou had 15. I would vote Collier player of game but would be a bit more conservative in my praise. With UConn this year, its all about matchups.

Watched SC game a couple more times and was struck that KLS's 3 pt attempts early in game hit the back of the rim...a sign of being too "amped"...too strong... and with any shooter, missing early starts to weigh on you, especially in a big game where every basket counts. I was not able to watch Tulane game until late, but was pleased to see KLS adjust her plan and score 15 straight points for UCONN. I trust in Geno, CD and the staff to make the adjustments needed for a solid run into the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
I'm going with the long drag of the season, let down after the South Carolina game, no Nurse, and some very bad New Orleans mojo (that black magic and voodoo stuff is alive down there) as the main culprits in this game. Like everything else, it will pass.

Reaction Score
Collier was important, but don't lose sight of how important KLS was in the third quarter or how key Geno's calm demeanor was in the timeouts and keeping them in a good frame. Collier was player of the game, but without KLS and Geno at key points, and without Gabby work defensively, Collier performance is irrelevant.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
How many of Katie Lou's 17 points didn't Uconn need to night?? Who saved Uconn??
Did Uconn need Chong's 3, Gabby's put back (ok not the one for Tulane).
When Pheesa was not in the game the flow of the uconn game stunk--true. But as great as pheesa was --she did not SAVE Uconn AlONE..

"But there's one kid on our team that you know every night is going to show up and give you the same thing every night. That's Napheesa. She was the difference tonight." Geno Auriemma -- Tulane post game presser

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
What a game. Geno just said she does it all the time so you come to expect it from her.

We lose this game without her. She saved our butts tonight.

Confirmation of your belief:
"But there's one kid on our team that you know every night is going to show up and give you the same thing every night. That's Napheesa. She was the difference tonight." Geno Auriemma -- Tulane post game presser

Reaction Score
Thank you, thank you, thank you. The tendency for people to focus strictly on their favorite Huskie almost infers that others are considerably less necessary and in today's game, didn't KLS score something like 15 straight points in the second half? The massive amount of rebounds by Gabby probably didn't help the team too much either, did it??? I respect posters desire to talk up a great performance and I've surely done that myself but in some cases it does devalue some others on the team that are overtly essential.
Of course, Lou gets plenty of praise on the BoneYard, and she deserves it. But in a game where a single player, Pheesa, scores over 40% of her team's points in a narrow win, we naturally heap praise on her. That's not unfair.

Reaction Score
Coach Crichlow said Naphessa Collier is the best player on this years squad. Beast in the post and can hit the three and mid range. Knows her role and is consistent.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
The OP's argument is valid even if other players made contributions. In field goals Pheesa was 7/9 while the other Huskies collectively were 12/41. She was 11/12 in free throws, the others 8/16. She scored 41 percent of Uconn's points. I would not say that Pheesa's the team's MVP; arguments could be made for Lou or Gabby. But Pheesa's play is the most consistently excellent. It is not a stretch at all to say that she saved the team this time.
Exactly! Why this turned into a KLS is better than Pheesa is beyond me. Pheesa saved our butts period. Does this make her the best player on the team? No. But as stated she was the best player tonight and without a doubt the most consistent this season. What matters most is that we won the game... doesn't matter which player you favor... Uconn won!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
You have the right to consider her your MVP. Obviously there are various other Boneyarders who will certainly disagree and I am one. It's somewhat sad that after almost every game there's a need for people to proclaim their MVP and it's been happening all season long. This team is about team. It's the individual skills of players working for a common goal and were it not for the skills of the other starters, do you really think that Napheesa's numbers would be nearly what they are now? I read about some calls KLS didn't get when she was obviously fouled and how she scored something like 15 straight points in the second half when Tulane pulled closer and closer and I saw the amount of rebounds Gabby got but you seemingly feel those things are inconsequential to this win. I don't agree!
So I suppose you have never voted for a bad ass award winner? Is not that what is happening in that thread? One poor game and some posters are believing the team is going to collapse, probably some of the same posters who will do an about face if Uconn continues to win into the NCAA's. Some of you don't know how good you have it in this team, and they are still undefeated. If they lose I guess this board will explode.

Reaction Score
As Captain Obvious may say: At the end of the day...or game... it's a TEAM game... and the combined efforts of ALL players on a TEAM are needed to beat the combined efforts of the opponent. Simple as that. Everyone contributes in some way. GO UCONN!!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom