Collier literally saved us | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Collier literally saved us

Reaction Score
Exactly! Why this turned into a KLS is better than Pheesa is beyond me. Pheesa saved our butts period. Does this make her the best player on the team? No. But as stated she was the best player tonight and without a doubt the most consistent this season. What matters most is that we won the game... doesn't matter which player you favor... Uconn won!

Welcome to the BY this year, where it seems posters tend to be very defensive of their individual favorite players, sometimes feeling the need to diminish the contributions of other players in the process.

Reaction Score
I'm strunned at how some of the above Boneyarders have used this thread to diminish the impact of Napheesa's effort tonight. The coach of the eleven time National Champions said in his post game press conference that Collier was the one player he could count on game in and game out. That's a pretty strong statement from Geno after having had to watch his team play poorly just moments earlier.

Appreciation for Napheesa will probably always lag because her game is not seen as being as exciting as that of our three point shooter or our Olympic athlete, but as our coach said earlier this evening she is the one we can count on everytime she steps onto the court.

That's enough for me to consider her our MVP, She's not about flash, she's about winning.
That last remark, "That's enough for me to consider her our MVP, She's not about flash, she's about winning" really throws some nasty innuendoes at Gabby and Kia and KLS and Saniya. Obviously they are more self absorbed about what they're doing and being flashy and less concerned about winning, right???? How could you possibly suggest that? If you didn't mean that, you should work on your writing skills so you could represent your remarks in a way that they don't make stupid unintended inferences. You also said "our MVP" when in fact, you're suggesting she's YOUR MVP. In actuality she's convinced you that she is YOUR MVP but I have a vote and though she deserves some consideration, I don't think she is THE MOST VALUABLE. UConn would almost certainly not be undefeated, were it not for her but that holds true if this team was without Gabby or KLS or even Kia. It seems we have different camps on this board that insist Gabby is the MVP while others feel it's Napheesa and a third segment feels that KLS has earned that designation. Opinions are fine but it almost seems that writing about it CONTINUOUSLY starts pitting these various camps against one another and I don't think it's healthy. I feel that it would be a lot healthier if WE all kept our opinions about MVP to ourselves and admire the team, as a whole for a wonderful season.

Reaction Score
As Captain Obvious may say: At the end of the day...or game... it's a TEAM game... and the combined efforts of ALL players on a TEAM are needed to beat the combined efforts of the opponent. Simple as that. Everyone contributes in some way. GO UCONN!!!!!
Exactly. Hopefully no more MVP talk for any of the members of this team. They are all contributing in some form or another and we shouldn't pit them against one another.

Reaction Score
He is great at making adjustments, but there is no adjustment he can make to compensate for Kia's absence.
Clearly, Crystal is not the missing cog. She totally choked at the foul line when the game was in her hands, the team committed 18 turnovers with her at point, and the offense was like a clunky truck.

For the moment, the fire seems to have gone out for this team. Maybe ( hopefully ), the team learns from this and rebounds. But it looked as though several players simply had lost their confidence. Only Napheesa seemed to want the ball. Lou wanted it too, I guess, but she was rushing shots that were not well designed. She also did not exert ball security.

Credit Tulane. But worry about this UCONN team's ability to win it all. Which is their only goal.

Funny, after the win against South Carolina, I thought this team couldn't lose. Maybe just a bad game .
What is necessary for KLS to be successful shooting is getting the ball passed to her in the flow of the game and that surely didn't happen Saturday. Beyond being beaten up on the perimeter, she got no ball screens and the ball wasn't delivered to her when she was in a position to do something with it. It's completely different in the fact that Napheesa gets a lot of her points down low on put backs and doesn't have to rely on the point guard to the extent that KLS does to produce her points.

Reaction Score
No the game thread was about the first Quarter of the USC game--and KLS was the only one stopping KLS. She was slowed and stopped later by USC.

Some have written her shots hitting the front of the rim --and suggested tired legs--(usually that is true). But Katies shot hit all around and back of the rim--suggesting the ball is leaving her hand differently. She had her pinkie tied to another finger --now it is not--is that the issue?? DT had a mini slump--Maya had one or two minor slumps--great shooter at times can't hit--it becomes and issue when it seeps into the brain-Geno won't let that happen.
It is true--Katie Lou is not happy with being abused and man(women)handled abusively without fouls being called--wouldn;t you??
Didn't the great Diana shoot 1 for 15 in the second half of UConn's loss to Notre Dame in the semi finals of the Final Four? Her shooting helped make a 15 point half time lead a 15 point loss to the Irish. A damaged finger on your shooting hand sounds like it could screw up your ability to shoot the ball, don't you think?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The OP's argument is valid even if other players made contributions. In field goals Pheesa was 7/9 while the other Huskies collectively were 12/41. She was 11/12 in free throws, the others 8/16. She scored 41 percent of Uconn's points. I would not say that Pheesa's the team's MVP; arguments could be made for Lou or Gabby. But Pheesa's play is the most consistently excellent. It is not a stretch at all to say that she saved the team this time.

As another poster said, Geno needed every point and every contribution that everyone gave Saturday. What I took from the Op's statement was that while other players were not as productive as they usually are, Collier was. Had she not been the victim of some very dubious calls, she would have not had sit in the second half with foul trouble, and no doubt broke 30 points.

When Collier goes out, there is no one on the bench that can come in and replicate her production. She also plays decent defense too. I thought many of her baskets were very timely as well, especially late in the game when Tulane was closing in on us score wise.

Reaction Score
Didn't the great Diana shoot 1 for 15 in the second half of UConn's loss to Notre Dame in the semi finals of the Final Four? Her shooting helped make a 15 point half time lead a 15 point loss to the Irish. A damaged finger on your shooting hand sounds like it could screw up your ability to shoot the ball, don't you think?

You are so correct. Dt as a Frosh --and hyped beyond belief--as a Freshman thrown into a biggest game of her career (ala Dangerfield Tulane) missed 14 of 15 shots --shots she normally would have made--your point, and now mine--is even great players and great shooters under the right circumstances miss more than they should. I agree taped finger are not good for a shooter.

Reaction Score
Collier was so incredible until the refs took her out. Then the team went south as it usually does without her. Flash Gordon does it all. She is pro material.

Reaction Score
I believe Lou must have been still in recovery from her sickness, she didn't show the fire that she normally posses.
With that said I think the main core of this team is Gabby, Pheesa and then Lou then Kia and Saniya.
I can't help but love watching Gabby and Pheesa.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I watched the Tulane game again this morning. It's funny how you can watch a game a second and third time, and see things that you missed the first time. Some things they normally are successful with, weren't working for them. They could have folded as they lost a 17 point lead, when the score got to within in 2 points, but they didn't. The refereeing was suspect. Some very questionable calls and phantom fouls. "Every shot you take is not going to go in", said Geno in his post game sideline interview with Justine Ward. Thank goodness Collier brought her shooting touch, hard hat and lunch pail with her Saturday. Napheesa is playing remarkable this season. She's been as steady and regular as a morning sunrise. Geno also related to Justine, how nice it is to know that between Collier and Williams, you're going to start the game with 45 points.

I saw the girls making plays on defense, the way they do most of the time, by holding Tulane to just 18 first half points. Lou is in a shooting slump right now. I guess it's like baseball players being in a batting slump. At some point, they come out of it. Not having Kia's leadership and calming effect on the floor was obvious, but whoever is on the floor can't let that be as issue or an excuse. Play the hand you're dealt. Crystal is gaining valuable experience right now. This will serve her and the team well in the coming weeks. Mistakes and errors in judgement she's making now, will not be made going forward. She is the 6th man. The team is going to need her, and need her to play well in the next 4 weeks.

Tomorrow's game with Temple will be interesting for several reasons:
1. - Which UConn team will show up? The one that played Temple the first time and won 97-69, when they were firing on all cylinders, or the one that played Saturday against Tulane while enduring a mild scoring slump (28 points at the half). I think back to the DePaul game when the Huskies where in full stride and scored 37 points in the first quarter.

2. - Temple (21-5) is on the come. They have supplanted USF (20-6) as the #2 team in the AAC, and they've moved up into the top 25 (#23 in the AP). They are very capable of giving UConn a game similar to that of Tulane. No doubt they watched the game, and the coaches have formulated a game plan based on what worked for Tulane. I expect the Huskies to play well, but I don't expect to see a 20+ point blow out.

The girls maybe a little fatigued at this point in the season, I don't know. UConn is scheduled to begin conference tournament play in 11 days. Their first game is scheduled for Saturday March 4 at 2:00 pm EST. Whatever ailments or slumbering effects they may be experiencing now, they need to solve and put behind them. I took several positives away from the Tulane game. Tulane gave UConn a 40 minute challenge late in the season that they desperately needed. The only other game the Huskies have had like that this season was the Florida State game way back in November.
A game that also came down to the last shot.

You've should be severely challenged once in a while to stay sharp, and maintain your edge. UConn learned a lot from this game, and provided the staff with some things to work on. Having gone through a tight, one possession game builds confidence and character. It provides the team with actual game experience that will no doubt serve them well in the days and weeks to come. Lou will break out of her slump. Kia will return from her injury. Saniya, Gabby and Napheesa will continue to play their usual solid games, and the game will continue to slow down for Dangerfield. UConn will be fine.

Good times are just ahead for the Huskies. As the season winds down (6 days remaining in the regular season). I look for the Huskies to finish the season on a high note, and on a roll. If they can run the table the rest of the way, there are only 12 games left in their season (3 conference games, 3 AAC tournament games, 6 NCAA tournament games). With the post season games spaced out over time, fatigue should not be a factor. Geno will have them ready to play when the tournaments begin. Keeping their eyes on the prize, they'll be highly focused, and filled with a resolve matched only by that of the last 4 UConn championship teams. "Leaders are not born, they're made.........here" ~ Geno Auriemma. (The same could be said about champions)

Let the games begin.

2017 AAC Women's Basketball Conference Tournament Schedule
All tournament games are nationally televised on an ESPN network:

Session Game Time* Matchup# Television Attendance
First Round – Friday, March 3

1 1 4:00 PM #8 vs. #9 ESPN3
(winner plays UConn)
2 6:00 PM #7 vs. #10
3 8:00 PM #6 vs. #11 East Carolina
Quarterfinals – Saturday, March 4
2 4 12:00 PM #4 vs. #5 ESPN3
5 2:00 PM #1 vs. Winner of game 1 (UConn's 1st game)
3 6 6:00 PM #2 vs. Winner of game 2
7 8:00 PM #3 vs. Winner of game 3
Semifinals – Sunday, March 5
4 8 5:00 PM Winner of game 4 vs. Winner of game 5 ESPN2
9 7:30 PM Winner of game 6 vs. Winner of game 7 ESPNU
Championship Game – Monday, March 6
5 10 7:00 PM Winner of game 8 vs. Winner of game 9 ESPN2
*Game Times in EST. #-Rankings denote tournament seeding.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So can we agree that UConn needed everyone's effort but that Collier contributed the most? Beyond that, though, what disturbed me the most was that nothing that UConn generally does well seemed to be working,
-- UConn's switching defense seemed to switch at the wrong times. I cannot tell you how many times a Tulane player got the ball near the left corner and rather than jack up a shot, dribbled toward the corner and turned right, and the UConn player, rather than getting in front of her, let her by (presumably to seal off the middle) and the player was able either to dribble even close to the basket or to hoist up a jumper, with at least some success.
-- The three pointers are not falling. KLS is in a serious slump (not to say she doesn't do other good things. She doies, but if the opponent knows she won't make her threes, all bets are off, especially buse
-- Kia is out, and the threes we are used to seeing from her are daggers in an opponent's heart.
-- Gabby is Gabby, but cannot begin to do it all by herself. I know people have said she will be the complete player if she develops a reliable long jumper. This, friends, is not the time for her to work on that skill.
-- Connecticut's better conditioning didn't help much, You can argue -- and I would agree -- that it's not that Tulane was well-conditioned but that they were running on adrenaline. But they were keeping up with UConn. Don't you think any team that is keeping up with UConn will run on adrenaline for at least a little while?

No, I'm not saying we're doomed, but these factors have to be taken inot consideration as the team moves toward the playoffs. Let's see what Temple brings.
Would add that was surprised to see so many drives past UConn defenders. Not sure why so many slow feet. Geno normally moved to zone when this happens but stuck it out.

Reaction Score
I watched the Tulane game again this morning. It's funny how you can watch a game a second and third time, and see things that you missed the first time. Some things they normally are successful with, weren't working for them. They could have folded as they lost a 17 point lead, when the score got to within in 2 points, but they didn't. The refereeing was suspect. Some very questionable calls and phantom fouls. "Every shot you take is not going to go in", said Geno in his post game sideline interview with Justine Ward. Thank goodness Collier brought her shooting touch, hard hat and lunch pail with her Saturday. Napheesa is playing remarkable this season. She's been as steady and regular as a morning sunrise. Geno also related to Justine, how nice it is to know that between Collier and Williams, you're going to start the game with 45 points.

I saw the girls making plays on defense, the way they do most of the time, by holding Tulane to just 18 first half points. Lou is in a shooting slump right now. I guess it's like baseball players being in a batting slump. At some point, they come out of it. Not having Kia's leadership and calming effect on the floor was obvious, but whoever is on the floor can't let that be as issue or an excuse. Play the hand you're dealt. Crystal is gaining valuable experience right now. This will serve her and the team well in the coming weeks. Mistakes and errors in judgement she's making now, will not be made going forward. She is the 6th man. The team is going to need her, and need her to play well in the next 4 weeks.

Tomorrow's game with Temple will be interesting for several reasons:
1. - Which UConn team will show up? The one that played Temple the first time and won 97-69, when they were firing on all cylinders, or the one that played Saturday against Tulane while enduring a mild scoring slump (28 points at the half). I think back to the DePaul game when the Huskies where in full stride and scored 37 points in the first quarter.

2. - Temple (21-5) is on the come. They have supplanted USF (20-6) as the #2 team in the AAC, and they've moved up into the top 25 (#23 in the AP). They are very capable of giving UConn a game similar to that of Tulane. No doubt they watched the game, and the coaches have formulated a game plan based on what worked for Tulane. I expect the Huskies to play well, but I don't expect to see a 20+ point blow out.

The girls maybe a little fatigued at this point in the season, I don't know. UConn is scheduled to begin conference tournament play in 11 days. Their first game is scheduled for Saturday March 4 at 2:00 pm EST. Whatever ailments or slumbering effects they may be experiencing now, they need to solve and put behind them. I took several positives away from the Tulane game. Tulane gave UConn a 40 minute challenge late in the season that they desperately needed. The only other game the Huskies have had like that this season was the Florida State game way back in November.
A game that also came down to the last shot.

You've should be severely challenged once in a while to stay sharp, and maintain your edge. UConn learned a lot from this game, and provided the staff with some things to work on. Having gone through a tight, one possession game builds confidence and character. It provides the team with actual game experience that will no doubt serve them well in the days and weeks to come. Lou will break out of her slump. Kia will return from her injury. Saniya, Gabby and Napheesa will continue to play their usual solid games, and the game will continue to slow down for Dangerfield. UConn will be fine.

Good times are just ahead for the Huskies. As the season winds down (6 days remaining in the regular season). I look for the Huskies to finish the season on a high note, and on a roll. If they can run the table the rest of the way, there are only 12 games left in their season (3 conference games, 3 AAC tournament games, 6 NCAA tournament games). With the post season games spaced out over time, fatigue should not be a factor. Geno will have them ready to play when the tournaments begin. Keeping their eyes on the prize, they'll be highly focused, and filled with a resolve matched only by that of the last 4 UConn championship teams. "Leaders are not born, they're made....here" ~ Geno Auriemma. (The same could be said about champions)

Let the games begin.

2017 AAC Women's Basketball Conference Tournament Schedule
All tournament games are nationally televised on an ESPN network:

Session Game Time* Matchup# Television Attendance
First Round – Friday, March 3

1 1 4:00 PM #8 vs. #9 ESPN3
(winner plays UConn)
2 6:00 PM #7 vs. #10
3 8:00 PM #6 vs. #11 East Carolina
Quarterfinals – Saturday, March 4
2 4 12:00 PM #4 vs. #5 ESPN3
5 2:00 PM #1 vs. Winner of game 1 (UConn's 1st game)
3 6 6:00 PM #2 vs. Winner of game 2
7 8:00 PM #3 vs. Winner of game 3
Semifinals – Sunday, March 5
4 8 5:00 PM Winner of game 4 vs. Winner of game 5 ESPN2
9 7:30 PM Winner of game 6 vs. Winner of game 7 ESPNU
Championship Game – Monday, March 6
5 10 7:00 PM Winner of game 8 vs. Winner of game 9 ESPN2
*Game Times in EST. #-Rankings denote tournament seeding.
Lots of great information here. I have to make one observation... Geno's quote was actually that it was comforting to know that he starts every game with 40 points between Naphessa and Lou.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
What a game. Geno just said she does it all the time so you come to expect it from her.

We lose this game without her. She saved our butts tonight.
Rinse and repeat! :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom