Fever @ Lynx - 9/01/19
Minneapolis, MN - 7:00 PM ET
TV: Fox Sports North, Fox Sports Indiana

League Pass:

Game page:

ESPN Gamecast:

A little late starting this one.
Fever are up 41-38 at the half,
on a game they’re probably better off losing.
I respect the effort.

0006CFA7-415D-42A7-BF83-2C68F142DC5B.jpeg

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
81-73 Lynx final

Sims 17 pts, 5 reb, 4 ast, 2 stl
Collier 15 pts, 10 reb, 3 ast, 2 stl, 1 blk

Dupree 18 pts, 4 reb, 2 ast, 1 stl

Of Collier's 10 rebounds, 6 were O boards.

Reaction Score
Fun game to watch tonight, especially the second half. Phee had a couple bullet passes out of sneaky oboards that led to quick baskets --the sort of thing you need great team chemistry to pull off. I hope to see more of this in her game as she develops. Great crowd too!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Only the 2nd rookie in WNBA history to achieve these stats, after Tamika Catchings.

Uh- oh. Looks like the ROY is solidifying her status. Any bets on her making the Olympic team?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
So, tell me about this Tamika Catchings. Was she any good? ;)
"We laugh a lot when I'm around Geno," Catchings said Wednesday during a phone call from Greenville, S.C., where she was part of the SEC Network's broadcast team for the league's postseason tournament. "Geno would always say, 'If there's one player that I'm so mad I didn't get, it's you.'"

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"We laugh a lot when I'm around Geno," Catchings said Wednesday during a phone call from Greenville, S.C., where she was part of the SEC Network's broadcast team for the league's postseason tournament. "Geno would always say, 'If there's one player that I'm so mad I didn't get, it's you.'"

I never understand it when somone in Texas/Tenn etc identifies CT as "down there" . :confused: Maybe explains why we haven't attracted more Deep South Recruits. ;)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

That's quite an accomplishment and some stellar company that Phee is joining by achieving these milestones. Well done. What an entry season into her professional career!

Going against the grain of a lot of threads that seem to think one can't mention Phee or Arike without one of the other, I'm going to go in another direction. I think Phee is only going to progress in her career and can't wait for her to (re)team with another Domer -- one Jessica Shepard -- once Jess recuperates from her ACL injury. I think the two demonstrated some superb teamwork in their brief time together and that will only get better.

Once again, congrats to Ms. Collier!

Reaction Score
I had read on the thread entitled ‘Arike Ogunbowale’ about the struggles Dallas faced this year. The suggestion being made is that Dallas was so depleted that Arike’s superior performance this year was not enough to make the Wings competitive.

I saw from the recent article at the ESPN WNBA page, that Minnesota has had its own setbacks this year:

Lindsay Whalen retired.
Maya Moore took the year off.
Rebekkah Brunson didn’t play this year after a concussion protocol.
Seimone Augustus had knee surgery and has only played since August 6.
Karima Christmas-Kelly had a season-ending injury after 6 games.
Damiris Dantas missed 8 games with a calf injury.
Jessica Shepard was lost after 6 games with an ACL.

Yet, the Lynx are in the playoffs, in no small part due to Napheesa Collier’s performance. Arike Ogunbowale has had a great rookie year statistically, but Napheesa has had a great year statistically and has also put her team in the playoffs. Shouldn’t that count for something?

Reaction Score
I had read on the thread entitled ‘Arike Ogunbowale’ about the struggles Dallas faced this year. The suggestion being made is that Dallas was so depleted that Arike’s superior performance this year was not enough to make the Wings competitive.

I saw from the recent article at the ESPN WNBA page, that Minnesota has had its own setbacks this year:

Lindsay Whalen retired.
Maya Moore took the year off.
Rebekkah Brunson didn’t play this year after a concussion protocol.
Seimone Augustus had knee surgery and has only played since August 6.
Karima Christmas-Kelly had a season-ending injury after 6 games.
Damiris Dantas missed 8 games with a calf injury.
Jessica Shepard was lost after 6 games with an ACL.

Yet, the Lynx are in the playoffs, in no small part due to Napheesa Collier’s performance. Arike Ogunbowale has had a great rookie year statistically, but Napheesa has had a great year statistically and has also put her team in the playoffs. Shouldn’t that count for something?
I think those players going down or missing time worked in Collier's favor more than anything. Brunson, Shepherd, Christmas-Kelly, and Dantas are all players who would cut some of her minutes out, either at the 3 or 4. Them being out gave Collier more opportunity, and she took it by showcasing her versatility. Even if all those players were available, I think Napheesa would end up starting by the All-Star break, but she may not have had the playing time she got.

Napheesa is third on her team in scoring behind Sims (~14ppg) and Fowles (~13ppg). Robinson is behind her with ~10ppg. I believe all three have been All-Stars at some point, so clearly not players to overlook. Arike's next best scorer is Allisha Gray with ~10ppg. The Lynx have a more talented roster than the Wings, and that's obvious.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
One of the problems Arike will face is when her team acquires better players and more of them, she'll then compete for shots, and on good teams her attempts will decrease. Arike has always shown that she needs shots and the ball to be effective whereas Pheese needs neither to affect the games outcome. Also during the regular season offense puts butts in seats but defense wins in the post season, and Arike has, to this point, not shown herself to be anything more than an average defender. Pheesa has always understood that you need to play both halves of the court.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The Lynx are one win away from matching last season's win total. The 2 remaining (road) games will be tough -- @Phoenix and @LA -- but still a pretty good season all things considered. Napheesa was asked to step in to the position occupied by Maya and help maintain the Lynx's culture of winning. Those are some big shoes to fill and some big-time pressure. She's had a remarkable season.

Reaction Score

Love the NBA and WNBA crossover. Of course, Pheesa has quite a bit of history with Trae Young. They both train under the same guy after all, Pheesa's bf.

It took me a second to figure out what Luka Doncic was doing unfortunately, or how he related to the situation. Aha, he's a Dallas player duh!

This is a very good ROY race. When was the last time fans, players, or coaches has this much to say about it? There's no such thing as bad publicity. The WNBA needs what it can get. Whoever wins this award will be well deserved, and whoever doesn't will forever be known by many as someone who was snubbed. The WNBA needs stories like that

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Love the NBA and WNBA crossover. Of course, Pheesa has quite a bit of history with Trae Young. They both train under the same guy after all, Pheesa's bf.

It took me a second to figure out what Luka Doncic was doing unfortunately, or how he related to the situation. Aha, he's a Dallas player duh!

This is a very good ROY race. When was the last time fans, players, or coaches has this much to say about it? There's no such thing as bad publicity. The WNBA needs what it can get. Whoever wins this award will be well deserved, and whoever doesn't will forever be known by many as someone who was snubbed. The WNBA needs stories like that
That’s the real story. The WNBA three exciting rookies who will be the faces of their franchises for years to come in. Few people remember that the NBA was struggling until rookies Larry Bird and Magic Johnson became the face and their rivalry became the face of the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom