Collier in Minnesota | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Collier in Minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thanks to UConn pedigree, Napheesa Collier has
acclimated quickly to professional life with Lynx

By Shawn McFarland | Associated Press

Minnesota Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve isn’t worried about testing Napheesa Collier’s limits. If anything, Reeve thinks the rookie may have it easy.

After all, she did spend the past four years being coached by Geno Auriemma at UConn.

“I appreciate that Geno pushed her so hard, because I think I look easy compared to him,” Reeve said with a laugh.

That was part of the appeal in taking Collier sixth overall in April’s draft. A standout career and senior season — which saw her average 20.8 points and 10.8 rebounds in helping the Huskies to their 12th consecutive Final Four berth — made her nearly impossible to pass on. The pedigree didn’t hurt, either.

Full Article [HERE]

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Thanks to UConn pedigree, Napheesa Collier has
acclimated quickly to professional life with Lynx

By Shawn McFarland | Associated Press

Minnesota Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve isn’t worried about testing Napheesa Collier’s limits. If anything, Reeve thinks the rookie may have it easy.

After all, she did spend the past four years being coached by Geno Auriemma at UConn.

“I appreciate that Geno pushed her so hard, because I think I look easy compared to him,” Reeve said with a laugh.

That was part of the appeal in taking Collier sixth overall in April’s draft. A standout career and senior season — which saw her average 20.8 points and 10.8 rebounds in helping the Huskies to their 12th consecutive Final Four berth — made her nearly impossible to pass on. The pedigree didn't hurt, either.

Full Article [HERE]

"After all, she did spend the past four years being coached by Geno Auriemma at UConn.
That was part of the appeal in taking Collier sixth overall in April’s draft
. It made her nearly impossible to pass on. The pedigree didn't hurt, either."

"The pedigree didn't hurt either."
These quotes from Cheryl Reeve are similar to other coach's sentiments about UConn throughout the league.
This is a point I try to emphasize every time there is conversation here in the yard about things a potential UConn recruit should consider in making their decision. Geno and his program is revered and highly respected by most coaches and GM's in the W. Having a UCONN pedigree means something on draft day in the W. Are we surprised that Collier is making the transition to the next level as smoothly and quickly as most thought she would?

She had the size and the skill set going in. All she needed to do was make the adjustments to play at that level against players that are older, stronger, more experienced, and in some cases faster. Collier said she was going in "being a sponge", wanting to soak up everything she could from coaches and teammates.

If you remember, Kara Lawson gave us a heads up after watching her participate in practice sessions for the USA women's team recently. She said Collier is "can't miss" at the next level, and that she more than held her own during those practice sessions. I respect Lawson's knowledge and observations about players. She knows the game as evidenced by her recent hire by the Boston Celtics.

Celtics hired Kara Lawson because she is as sharp as they come. Brad Stevens had crossed paths with Kara Lawson enough times to know what she brought to the table. That’s why the Boston Celtics head coach and the organization moved to hire the former Tennessee Lady Vols All-American as an assistant coach last month.

I check the box score after every Lynx game. Collier is usually the leader (or close to it) in minutes played. That stat alone tells you what Reeve thinks of Collier. Reeve's thinking: Collier needs to be on the floor for us to have the best chance to win. Funny thing, Geno thought the same thing (great minds think alike). Collier played 37 minutes last night in a 1 point win over the Sky. :)

Personally, I think that going to the next level with a UConn pedigree, and her friendship with Megan Walker is the reason Westbrook chose to come to UConn (smart girl). She swung and missed the first time. She had to get it right THIS time. Listening to the maturity in her voice and conversation tells us that she will be a great addition to the program (and a leader on the floor) when she becomes eligible.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In the recently concluded game where the Lynx beat the Sky 73-72 on some late heroics by Sims and some poor play by the sky, Pheesa had a decent offensive game but missed some pretty easy mid range shots (2-2 from 3) but she was all over the defensive side of the ball (3 Stl's and 3 Blocks) . Whatever her stats are, she is always leading the Lynx in minutes

By the way, Gabby had one of her better games (12 pts on 6-12 shooting) and 5 assists (3TO) but some of her outside shots are really ugly. I hope this improves.

No Katie Lou. I thought she was eligible but perhaps he wants her to come back slowly through junk time?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
No Katie Lou. I thought she was eligible but perhaps he wants her to come back slowly through junk time?

Yes, Lou was available. Chicago's rotations are going to be very interesting going forward with Lou & Faulkner back from injury and Ndour back from Eurobasket. If Faulkner takes the backup PG minutes, that moves Gabby to the wing and makes that spot even more crowded. Ndour gives Chicago another option at 4. There's really no easy spot to slot Lou in for some minutes.

I think Cheryl Reeve outcoached James Wade last night. Her team just executed better down the stretch and Chicago's late-game plays/shot selection were underwhelming.

Collier gives me the same feeling I had when she was at UConn. Every time she has the ball for the opponent, I'm pretty sure something bad is going to happen to my team.

Reaction Score
Collier was 4th overall in All Star voting, but the media and player voting dragged her down to 9th place among forwards, knocking her out as a starter in the All Star game.
12CD8686-B13B-4FEB-AE49-B6DC8C210C1A.jpeg

Reaction Score
Yes, Lou was available. Chicago's rotations are going to be very interesting going forward with Lou & Faulkner back from injury and Ndour back from Eurobasket. If Faulkner takes the backup PG minutes, that moves Gabby to the wing and makes that spot even more crowded. Ndour gives Chicago another option at 4. There's really no easy spot to slot Lou in for some minutes.

I think Cheryl Reeve outcoached James Wade last night. Her team just executed better down the stretch and Chicago's late-game plays/shot selection were underwhelming.

Collier gives me the same feeling I had when she was at UConn. Every time she has the ball for the opponent, I'm pretty sure something bad is going to happen to my team.

Collier should have gone no.1 hands down. The first 5 coaches missed her. However, Indiana really needed McCowan.

Justin think if Bill had taken her and she was playing 3 with Aja, Liz, Kayla, and Kelsey. They could be one hell of a team.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Collier should have gone no.1 hands down. The first 5 coaches missed her. However, Indiana really needed McCowan.

Justin think if Bill had taken her and she was playing 3 with Aja, Liz, Kayla, and Kelsey. They could be one hell of a team.

That does sound good. Jackie Young's shooting has been pretty dreadful but she is also 4th in the league in assists per 48 minutes and has a 3.8 A/TO ratio.

So I definitely see the logic behind taking Young for them since they apparently wanted an auxiliary playmaker from that pick. You just have to view it like they took the best available point guard.

Reaction Score
That does sound good. Jackie Young's shooting has been pretty dreadful but she is also 4th in the league in assists per 48 minutes and has a 3.8 A/TO ratio.

So I definitely see the logic behind taking Young for them since they apparently wanted an auxiliary playmaker from that pick. You just have to view it like they took the best available point guard.

She is playing the same position that Collier is playing for Minnesota.

Reaction Score
Laimbeer has Young in the PG role.

Every game I watched I saw Plum there. TBH I've seen every Lynx game this season, but not Aces. Either way I still stand behind my opinion Collier should have been no.1

Reaction Score
Game night. There's an ESPN3 streaming option in tonight's game.
Lynx @ Dream - 7/12/19
Atlanta, GA - 7:30 PM ET
TV: WSB Now

League Pass:

Stream:

Game page:

ESPN Gamecast:

Reaction Score
Were my eyes playing games with me? From the overhead shots at the Atlanta game, there seemed to me that there were 1200 fans in the seats, Perhaps, I didn't notice the increase during the game for late arrivals. 1200???

Reaction Score
Collier was 4th overall in All Star voting, but the media and player voting dragged her down to 9th place among forwards, knocking her out as a starter in the All Star game.
View attachment 44708
Never forget these things are still a popularity contest amongst all facets. The critics never gave Pheesa love while she was in college either....And Gustafson was really player of the year?

Reaction Score
This is unbelievable. Collier went from #4 overall in fan voting to not being included in the All Star game. That shouldn’t happen.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Never forget these things are still a popularity contest amongst all facets. The critics never gave Pheesa love while she was in college either....And Gustafson was really player of the year?

Collier was named first team All American twice (Soph and Senior years) and given the Naismith award for best PF in college basketball as a senior.

Reaction Score
This is unbelievable. Collier went from #4 overall in fan voting to not being included in the All Star game. That shouldn’t happen.
So the WNBA has a fan vote that supposedly counts 50%, and then they totally ignore the fan vote, and then they wonder why they can't connect with fans. Hmmmmm....

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Who do you think she should replace.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
So the WNBA has a fan vote that supposedly counts 50%, and then they totally ignore the fan vote, and then they wonder why they can't connect with fans. Hmmmmm....

It does count 50% towards picking the starters.

The reserves are chosen by the coaches.

Reaction Score
Who do you think she should replace.

Since Bonner can easily be used as a guard in an All Star game, I’d have her bump one of the guards and then slot Collier as a forward.

Loyd has been out for a lengthy time. It’s conceivable that she may need an injury replacement. Hopefully Collier will get top consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom