Collier in Minnesota | Page 34 | The Boneyard

Collier in Minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
CBS Sports has their take on Collier vs Ogunbowale

The article is definitely one of the more thoughtful analyses for ROY consideration concerning Collier vs. Ogunbowale. I think it serves to solidify Collier's candidacy. Must-reading for LaChina or any other pundit not seeing the significance Pheesa's outstanding body of work.

Reaction Score
Collier is looking to play in China. Hasn’t found a team as of yet.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It'll be a tough choice for the league voters to choose ROY. The award typically goes to #1 picks that lead the league in scoring. So the voter will have to choose whether they want to give the award to the player that scores a lot of points for a bad team, whose point totals will drop drastically once that team has acquired better players, becomes a contender and the offense doesn't revolve around her. A player who plays questionable defense, doesn't really make other players better around her, and needs a lot of shots in order to get her point totals. Or the voters could choose a great team player that makes everyone around her better, that doesn't need the ball in order to help her team win, who has done something in her rookie year that only 3 other players have ever done, makes life difficult on offense for the opposing team, and has the potential to be the face of the new WNBA for years to come. A forward that is also more likely to make the Olympic team. The ball is in your court voters.

I wonder if Catchings, Moore or Swoops achieved those numbers during their rookie season? The only way one can put up those stats is to “play”. Collier started all 34 regular season games, and their one playoff game. She averaged 34 minutes a game.

Most rookies don’t get the opportunity to do that. Her skill set and maturity were so “blatant”, it demanded that HC Cheryl Reeve put her in the starting lineup, and keep her on the floor. It didn’t take Pheesa long to gain the trust of her teammates. Another HUGE factor in her success this year was that she was able to avoid injury, and answered the whistle for all 35 tip balls to begin the game.

As Geno said “this (her rookie year) is the worst she will ever play in this league.” I expect her numbers and confidence to increase next year.

She was paid rookie wages this season in the W. Being the the AP ROY, a member of the all-star team, a starter and proved her durability by playing in every game, will make her uber attractive and sought after by many foreign league teams that are more than willing to pay handsomely for her services. A poster here recently commented that many foreign teams want WNBA players.

She’ll be well compensated for services rendered wherever she goes this off season. No doubt an endorsement deal or two are on the horizon as well. Who wouldn’t want Collier endorsing their product or business?

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Napheesa Collier is a cross between the Energizer Bunny and Ironman/Ironwoman. Her gifts are different from those of Maya, but both players born in Jefferson City, MO, don’t take plays off or miss games.

Number of games missed at UConn and in her 1st year of the W: Napheesa, 0.

Number of games missed at UConn and in her first 8 years of the W: Maya, 1 (I believe) in Minnesota.

Phee was a rookie and led the W in minutes played. Has a rookie done that before (except in the inaugural year)?

Carnac

Reaction Score
Napheesa Collier is a cross between the Energizer Bunny and Ironman/Ironwoman. Her gifts are different from those of Maya, but both players born in Jefferson City, MO, don’t take plays off or miss games.

Number of games missed at UConn and in her 1st year of the W: Napheesa, 0.

Number of games missed at UConn and in her first 8 years of the W: Maya, 1 (I believe) in Minnesota.

Phee was a rookie and led the W in minutes played. Has a rookie done that before (except in the inaugural year)?

A consensus among WNBA coaches: The best “ability“ a player can have is AVAILABILITY!! ;)

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A consensus among WNBA coaches: The best “ability“ a player can have is AVAILABILITY!! ;)
I recall Geno saying something to the following effect to Diana when she got in foul trouble: "Best player in the country, huh? How much good are you doing your team by sitting here next to me?"

Being great is one thing; being great AND being able to play is the key.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I recall Geno saying something to the following effect to Diana when she got in foul trouble: "Best player in the country, huh? How much good are you doing your team by sitting here next to me?"

Being great is one thing; being great AND being able to play is the key.

Off the top of my head, I don’t believe Phee fouled out of any games this year. She learned a lot of things under Geno. She made a lot of adjustments early on to effectively compete at this level. Obviously learning to play without fouling was one them. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Go Pheesa!!! So proud.....

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Bonuses in WNBA team
Bonuses were announced for the WNBA team members if they have achieved certain achievements. The amount for the achievement will be paid for each player. Bonuses for some of the achievements are as following:
  • Bonus for achieving WNBA championship is $10,500.
  • Bonus for being a runner-up in WNBA team is $5,250.
  • Bonus for players if they are most valuable in the team then the amount is $15,000.
  • If they are rookie of the year then will earn a bonus of $5,000.
  • If the player is All-WNBA First Team member then the bonus is $10,000.
  • If the player is All-Star game participant then the bonus is $2,500.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Interesting part of interview at the end when asked about what was her biggest area of growth and she talked in great detail about her work on improving her 3pt defense. Everyone giggled. That's our girl.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Nice that Kobe gives kudos and I understand the UConn appreciation factor

but I wonder if he would have voted for Arike since that is probably the player that embodies his style most closely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom