Collier and Samuelson ...oh my! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Collier and Samuelson ...oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Very true on Stewie's length, but by impacting, I mean as a complete player. KLS is a superior shooter and better ball handler, and Napheesa is even more athletic than Morgan. But Stewie is longer, more athletic, and more diverse while Morgan is stronger and just so good at everything.

Just like comparing Diana to Maya to Stewie - all of them are phenomenal, but each brings something very different to the table. Same with Collier, Dangerfield and KLS... but i get your point...

I have never seen anyone running the floor like Stewie, both on the offense and defense, leading to a lot of "easy" point and prevent cheap point against. That is what you will miss the most. KLS may be a better spot shooter, but I am not sure she is as good of a jump shooter like Stewie who can create her own shot out of nothing.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I have never seen anyone running the floor like Stewie, both on the offense and defense, leading to a lot of "easy" point and prevent cheap point against. That is what you will miss the most. KLS may be a better spot shooter, but I am not sure she is as good of a jump shooter like Stewie who can create her own shot out of nothing.
I don't doubt we will miss those things and more from Stewie, just like we missed things from Maya and Dee and Tina and Sue and Swin and all the other greats who have come thru UCONN. Geno will need to run offense and defense differently when Stewie is gone, just like he did this year with Stef being gone.

Maybe I wasn't clear on my points. Katie Lou Samuelson, Napheesa Collier and Crystal Dangerfield are NOT clones of Stewie, Morgan or Moriah. But IMHO they will be "similarly" as good - albeit in different ways... :)

Reaction Score

PVD: we all see things differently, of course. I was always extremely impressed with M. Moore's "running the floor." A jaguar and, in my view, much more "graceful" than our very amazing Stewart.

Reaction Score
I don't doubt we will miss those things and more from Stewie, just like we missed things from Maya and Dee and Tina and Sue and Swin and all the other greats who have come thru UCONN. Geno will need to run offense and defense differently when Stewie is gone, just like he did this year with Stef being gone.

Maybe I wasn't clear on my points. Katie Lou Samuelson, Napheesa Collier and Crystal Dangerfield are NOT clones of Stewie, Morgan or Moriah. But IMHO they will be "similarly" as good - albeit in different ways... :)[/QUOTE

Hi ERIC: well said, as always. (Not SO sure we have a new "Stewart- level" recruit on the way.....but I do have VERY high hopes and even expectations for the three you highlight._

Reaction Score
Impressive! But, did you forget two? I thought I read in another thread that Cox and Holmes are going to be playing for UConn. :rolleyes:
And Walker is a done deal, no?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ah, there's the rub. Games like that and games where the star in focus scores 2/3rds of her own team's point, suggest we temper our enthusiasm.
The 45-34 game was not a blowout. Napheesa's and Lou's stats are reminiscent of those put up by Kaleena and Maya.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The 45-34 game was not a blowout. Napheesa's and Lou's stats are reminiscent of those put up by Kaleena and Maya.

No, but she had 33 of the team's 45 points which is a phenomenon which was half of my apparently obtuse point. The teams on which truly well rated and phenomenal athletes play are not anything terrific, sometimes, and equally so of the teams they face. Corollary : the stats out of those games are not really meaningful maybe?

PS. Watched these young ladies in USA basketball. Know they are terrific. Just maybe wish they had more to work with during the school year and the stats are skewed because of it.

Last edited:

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Another good point pv- back to Eric's point- this is what makes it all so fascinating. The completely different make up of each team is amazing.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Collier looks like the second coming of (gasp!) Morgan Tuck!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
No, but she had 33 of the team's 45 points which is a phenomenon which was half of my apparently obtuse point. The teams on which truly well rated and phenomenal athletes play are not anything terrific, sometimes, and equally so of the teams they face. Corollary : the stats out of those games are not really meaningful maybe?

PS. Watched these young ladies in USA basketball. Know they are terrific. Just maybe wish they had more to work with during the school year and the stats are skewed because of it.
Napheesa is playing with a bunch of newbies. She has to carry the team more this season than last season. I bet she gets double- and triple-teamed. Yet, she puts up big numbers and shoots an amazing percentage.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
From what Ive heard from the AAU circuit Collier could be the best player in the class. The echolades just don't stop when you bring up her name. UConn is going to be very good for a very lone time. When you look at this years team and KML and Stewie not hitting their outside shots like we are accustomed to seeing them do, fans say their in a slump. Hey they've got MoJeff Tuck and Nurse putting up unbelievable numbers so maybe theyre sharing the ball with the hot hands while theyre double teamed. Either way UConn has 5 starters who can put up 20+ pts in any game. Sunday at SMU Lauren Cox is suppose to be observing. I expect UConn to put on a show.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
TonyC - the interesting thing with Stewart is she is pretty consistent compared to last year in terms of shooting percentage. We all remember the games when she goes off big time, but she spices in a lot of games where she does not.
3% this year .343 last year .341
FG% this year .497 last year .509

Moriah on her little run is closing in on last years percentage and is ahead of the game on her three:
3 - .500 vs. .418
FG = .563 vs. .575

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Oh Geez.
1691282_seriously-_jpeg98a3b8cb9a0360b89fc96a46013eb097

You clearly have not ever been to a UCOoNnNn game. The cheer goes "Gimme an upper case U" "Gimme an upper case C" "Gimme a lower case o" "Gimme a lower case n" "Gimme another lower case n" "What does it spell?" "UppercaseUuppercaseClowercaseolowercasenanotherlowercasen." No wonder the fans sit on their hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom