College summer ball - UConn players | Page 4 | The Boneyard

College summer ball - UConn players

Reaction Score
I've been very impressed with the summers the Huskies have had. From last year's starters and role players, to incoming players, everybody has seemed to have made an impact for their teams. Seeing this type of success already has me excited for next season.

I'm certainly excited for next season as well, and a lot of Huskies had positive impacts on their summer teams as you say. However, there is one high profile player for who this summer has been something of an unmitigated disaster, and that has been Ronnie Rossomando. He has been inconsistent his first two seasons with the Huskies, but it was quite apparent the coaching staff was going to stick with him and his talented arm. Rossomando had a huge summer coming out of the bullpen last season in the Cape League, so much so that I had him figured for the closer role this past season with the Huskies. However, the Cape League has not been kind to Rossomando this summer. He quickly fell out of the Bourne Braves rotation after a couple of disastrous starts, and has been lit up in his sporadic relief appearances out of the bullpen since then. So far in 6 appearances, Rossomando has a 14.89 ERA in 9.2 innings. 8 strikeouts is on the good side, but on the bad side is 7 walks and an astounding 22 hits allowed. Ouch!!! Before the summer began I figured that Rossomando was a candidate for the Sunday weekend starting spot. Now I am fearing that his Husky career is turning into something of a replica of Andrew Zapata, a high profile pitcher out of high school who's career just erodes before our eyes.

Reaction Score
Chase Gardner got the win in yesterday's California Collegiate League playoff game going 6 innings, giving up 2 runs, 1 earned run, 4 hits, 1 walk, and getting 9 strikeouts.

UConn Baseball‏ @UConnBaseball 15h15 hours ago
Incoming Husky Chase Gardner on the mound for Prune Packers to begin Playoffs! Watch the LHP at the link below! #UConnNation

Healdsburg Packers @PrunePackers
Don't miss out on GAME 1 of CCL PLAYOFFS vs @Conej:confused:aks FOLLOW LIVE NOW So Cal Catch - Portal … OR

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Boston Globe struck gold with their local UConn Huskies pitching connections. Both Poulin in Bourne and Holmes in Mystic have been consistently good all summer. After Tim Cate, they have arguably been the two best Husky pitchers in summer ball this year. Poulin will be a mainstay of the Husky bullpen this next season. If Holmes stays injury free (2016 was pretty much a wash out for him due to being hurt), it should be interesting to see what impact he has on the UConn pitching staff next year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Boston Globe struck gold with their local UConn Huskies pitching connections. Both Poulin in Bourne and Holmes in Mystic have been consistently good all summer. After Tim Cate, they have arguably been the two best Husky pitchers in summer ball this year. Poulin will be a mainstay of the Husky bullpen this next season. If Holmes stays injury free (2016 was pretty much a wash out for him due to being hurt), it should be interesting to see what impact he has on the UConn pitching staff next year.

Of course, kudos should also be offered to incoming UConn pitcher Joe Simeone who has been quite dynamic playing in the Futures League.

Reaction Score

It's just a guess on my part, but I'm thinking Chase Gardner is going to be one of the frontrunners for one of the weekend starting spots for UConn next spring.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's just a guess on my part, but I'm thinking Chase Gardner is going to be one of the frontrunners for one of the weekend starting spots for UConn next spring.
The Wills Montgomery spot is certainly open. That could be three lefty starters...if things fell that way.

Reaction Score
CJ Dandeneau was not the only UConn Husky who played this summer for the Plymouth Pilgrims of the New England Collegiate Baseball League. While it was never announced on the UConn baseball twitter feed, pitcher Joe Rivera surfaced on the Pilgrim roster late in the summer season. Appeared in 4 games, pitched 4.2 innings, 3.85 ERA, had 6 strikeouts, gave up 4 walks and 3 hits.

Joseph Rivera - New England Collegiate Baseball League - player

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom