College Sports Madness Women's Basketball Top 44 Preview | Page 3 | The Boneyard

College Sports Madness Women's Basketball Top 44 Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I find it interesting that FSU has stayed near the top of ACC the past few seasons. Sue Semaru is doing a nice job there with the talent she is getting and Natasha Howard should only improve.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
#12 is Penn State.

Key returning players for Penn State will be guards Maggie Lucas and Alex Bentley.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
#12 is Penn State.

Key returning players for Penn State will be guards Maggie Lucas and Alex Bentley.
And Nikki Greene in the post who finally has some help with size in the post. She led the Big Ten in blocks in 2011

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
And Nikki Greene in the post who finally has some help with size in the post. She led the Big Ten in blocks in 2011

She reminded me much of Andrea Garner in her PSU days.

tigger

LSU Tigger
Reaction Score
In at #11: Georgia Bulldogs.

just don't get it...I truly don't see them being as good as they were last season...but all the media are buying into it. They picked 'em 2nd in the SEC, which is absurd.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
I agree, I truly think KY will show they are a very good team. Froshie Bria Goss is a stud and the addition of Samarie at midseason will be huge.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
just don't get it...I truly don't see them being as good as they were last season...but all the media are buying into it. They picked 'em 2nd in the SEC, which is absurd.

Seems to be the case most years. I think Phillips is the only big loss from last year but last year's team was disappointing. A&M crushed them in the sweet 16 game as I think Georgia scored less than 40 points.

tigger

LSU Tigger
Reaction Score
UGA lost their best (and virtually only) post player in Phillips. Ebony Jones and Tamika Willis barely saw PT---so who knows? The JUCO player, Rodriguez will probably be needed to contribute big time right away. Armstrong MUST continue to improve, as must Hassell, since it looks like she's gonna be the "go to" player in the post.

Guard play should continue to be excellent, but you have to have producers within the perimeter.

****Just read on an UGA board that Rodriguez tore an ACL, and is gone for the season--that's tough for her, but it'll give her another year of "getting used" to Div. I. But that also takes the only real "big" out of their rotation.
...it really looks like Hassell and Armstrong are gonna be serious workhorses in the post. Maybe Willis can give some good breather minutes Also, I think Mitchell was the 3rd best rebounder and at 6'1", I think she will be an impact player inside and she's lethal from outside. But the rest of the backcourt, with the exception of James and Miller, isn't great. They DO have about 80% of last year's production coming back---but last years's numbers weren't that great, so my question is:

does anybody else see why I think everybody has them a bit overranked (top 20, yes--11, 12, uh-uh)?

tigger

LSU Tigger
Reaction Score
OOPS!! just read on the UGA board that Rodriguez is out for the season with...you guessed it, torn ACL...there goes their one real big.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
UGA lost their best (and virtually only) post player in Phillips. Ebony Jones and Tamika Willis barely saw PT---so who knows? The JUCO player, Rodriguez will probably be needed to contribute big time right away. Armstrong MUST continue to improve, as must Hassell, since it looks like she's gonna be the "go to" player in the post.

Guard play should continue to be excellent, but you have to have producers within the perimeter.

****Just read on an UGA board that Rodriguez tore an ACL, and is gone for the season--that's tough for her, but it'll give her another year of "getting used" to Div. I. But that also takes the only real "big" out of their rotation.
...it really looks like Hassell and Armstrong are gonna be serious workhorses in the post. Maybe Willis can give some good breather minutes Also, I think Mitchell was the 3rd best rebounder and at 6'1", I think she will be an impact player inside and she's lethal from outside. But the rest of the backcourt, with the exception of James and Miller, isn't great. They DO have about 80% of last year's production coming back---but last years's numbers weren't that great, so my question is:

does anybody else see why I think everybody has them a bit overranked (top 20, yes--11, 12, uh-uh)?

According to the Georgia forum board Ebony Jones will be out for the first month. She didnt appear in the box score for the game vs West Georgia. So thats two bigs out for UG.

I saw UG when they were out in So Cal last season. Wasnt impressed with anyone but Phillips, whose gone. Except for Phillips, the rest of the team was horrible from the free throw line, probably under 60% overall.
I was very surprised they were picked 2nd in the SEC and that high in other polls.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

You've convinced me. The only game I watched UGA play last year was the NCAA tournament game against aTm and it was a complete mismatch from the opening tip.

An SEC team that I think may surprise some this year is Florida. Much will depend on whether the post players can provide more of a presence, but Butler is a good coach and FL has some guards who can play. FL put up 75 points against Tenn in the SEC tournament last year mostly because of its guards' ability to penetrate. I think FL returns most of its players from last year's team.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
According to the Georgia forum board Ebony Jones will be out for the first month. She didnt appear in the box score for the game vs West Georgia. So thats two bigs out for UG.

I saw UG when they were out in So Cal last season. Wasnt impressed with anyone but Phillips, whose gone. Except for Phillips, the rest of the team was horrible from the free throw line, probably under 60% overall.
I was very surprised they were picked 2nd in the SEC and that high in other polls.
i wouldn't be surprised to see LSU or KEntucky end up as the #2 team in the SEC. Vandy is always sniffing around the top 25. but if the SEC is anything like it was last year, it's going to be REALLY bad. tenn should have a cakewalk at #1. after that, Georgia, LSU and Kentucky are all in the top 25, but i'm not sure they will all stay there for long. we will see...

Reaction Score
agreed re: Temple. some are annointing Jen as the next UCONN head coach. Tonya would not surprise me one bit. Jen may have USA basketball coaching experience, but i'm betting Tonya at Temple will have much more opportunity to recruit and coach higher rated players than Jen will at Hartford...
I would suspect that if Jen has any interest in possibly succeeding Geno! I hope this is a long time in the future. She will either take a head coaching position with a much bigger program or will return to
CT to coach under Geno.

Reaction Score
i wouldn't be surprised to see LSU or KEntucky end up as the #2 team in the SEC. Vandy is always sniffing around the top 25. but if the SEC is anything like it was last year, it's going to be REALLY bad. tenn should have a cakewalk at #1. after that, Georgia, LSU and Kentucky are all in the top 25, but i'm not sure they will all stay there for long. we will see...
\
Kentucky seems to live off of transfers. LSU may surprise many,if not this year then next year. If Tenn stays healthy they should runaway with the SEC this year. TN runs the risk of really being in danger of needing to stay healthy, The five Srs they have,4 of whom are excellent players plus /Spani,Simmons and the 3 FR 2 9f whom are elite /Ariel and Burdick,but Baugh has had multiple acls and they have Williams out with an acl. Johnson and Strickland are stars. They lost 4 players who could have returned,but either did not due to injuries or left the program.The depth is such that they cannot afford any problems. Similar to the position we have found ourselves in a few times! They are going with a FR PG,Ariel,who I think is excellent. A shortage in the backcourt.Harrison the FR big man and Bass the SR 5'2" rarely played PG leave some potential problems.

tigger

LSU Tigger
Reaction Score
You've convinced me. The only game I watched UGA play last year was the NCAA tournament game against aTm and it was a complete mismatch from the opening tip.

An SEC team that I think may surprise some this year is Florida. Much will depend on whether the post players can provide more of a presence, but Butler is a good coach and FL has some guards who can play. FL put up 75 points against Tenn in the SEC tournament last year mostly because of its guards' ability to penetrate. I think FL returns most of its players from last year's team.

I concur; I think Florida will be the "surprise" team of the SEC this year. I'm not saying top 3, 'cause I think that is UT, LSU, and UK. But, after that, who knows...?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
In at #10 Miami Hurricanes.

The preview fails to mention Pepper Wilson who transferred from Pitt and will be eligible after sitting out last year. She'll be an important player if she can build on her freshman season at Pitt and give Miami a presence in the paint.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In at #10 Miami Hurricanes.

The preview fails to mention Pepper Wilson who transferred from Pitt and will be eligible after sitting out last year. She'll be an important player if she can build on her freshman season at Pitt and give Miami a presence in the paint.
If Miami were to play Georgetown, we'd have Pepper and Sugar. Sugar and Spice! :)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
In at #9: Georgetown Hoyas.

McNutt is the only big loss from last year's team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In at #9: Georgetown Hoyas.

McNutt is the only big loss from last year's team.
But Monica was perhaps their best 3-point shooter (I'm sure you recall the stressful Philly game) and, more importantly, their player with the greatest heart and toughness. I think that is a big, big loss for them.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
But Monica was perhaps their best 3-point shooter (I'm sure you recall the stressful Philly game) and, more importantly, their player with the greatest heart and toughness. I think that is a big, big loss for them.

Good point. She did seem to be the heart and soul of the team and a good shooter. I heard an interview in which Sugar is trying to be a more vocal leader this year but she's very quiet by nature.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
In at #8: Duke Blue Devils.

I'm looking forward to watching Elizabeth Williams play this year.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
In at #7: Louisville Cardinals.

This site projects a starting frontcourt of Reid and Hammond. I think one of Vails or Warren (both 6-4) will start and Hammond will come off the bench.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
interesting that they put Duke ahead of Miami. i think most everyone else has it reversed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom