College football is a regional sport. | The Boneyard

College football is a regional sport.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I know we love our Huskies. I love them more than my two pro teams combined (the New England Patriots and Chicago Cubs). And I know the stadiums at Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan are usually filled with 120,000 fans.

But when the rubber meets the road, we're stuck with Clemson, Georgia, Alabama, and Oklahoma. It seems like Ohio State and USC are the only two teams capable of breaking this Southern stranglehold on the college game. And even when they get in, there are still three Southern teams. So now we get to see Alabama-Clemson. Again. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I'm not here to blame anyone. I'm just pointing out a fact.

Discuss.

Last edited:

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I know we love our Huskies. I love them more than my two pro teams combined (the New England Patriots and Chicago Cubs). And I know the stadiums at Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan are usually filled with 120,000 fans.

But when the rubber meets the road, we're stuck with Clemson, Georgia, Alabama, and Oklahoma. It seems like Ohio State and USC are the only two teams capable of breaking this Southern stranglehold on the college game. And even when they get in, there are still three Southern teams. So now we get to see Alabama-Clemson. Again. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Discuss.
Clemson would have destroyed Ohio State. I think they lose to Alabama who beats Georgia in the title game.

Reaction Score

Discuss.

The rematch between Clemson & Bama is what most of the country wants to see. I’m looking forward to it.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
The rematch between Clemson & Bama is what most of the country wants to see. I’m looking forward to it.
It will be like watching the Yankees and Dodgers in the World Series year after year after year. Groundhog Day.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Clemson would have destroyed Ohio State. I think they lose to Alabama who beats Georgia in the title game.
I'm not advocating for Ohio State to be included.

I'm lamenting the fact that 90% of the best teams are Southern. College football is regional.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I'm not advocating for Ohio State to be included.

I'm lamenting the fact that 90% of the best teams are Southern. College football is regional.
It is what it is. Would I like more diversity in strength of teams around the country? Sure.

Reaction Score

I don't see it. Clemson is a much more physical team overall than what you're used to. Haven't looked spectacular, but a lot of people (including the cmte) are making assumptions about Alabama based on history not results.

Reaction Score
I don’t care where the teams are located on the map I just want the best teams in and these are the 4 best teams. My pick to win it all is Georgia. The two defensive ends are both 1st/2nd round picks and the LB is an animal.

I like watching Wisconsin play and root for them. Love Taylor. Would they have made the tournament if they won last night?

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I don’t care where the teams are located on the map I just want the best teams in and these are the 4 best teams. My pick to win it all is Georgia. The two defensive ends are both 1st/2nd round picks and the LB is an animal.

I like watching Wisconsin play and root for them. Love Taylor. Would they have made the tournament if they won last night?
Yes. Undefeated? Absolutely.
That said, Showballot is correct, what a rebound by UGA and that quick animal D. They will beat Baker the Blowhard and OU.
CLemson/Bama? Wow. Toss up.
Clemson probably. And they will beat the Dawgs afterwards

Reaction Score
Yes. Undefeated? Absolutely.
That said, Showballot is correct, what a rebound by UGA and that quick animal D. They will beat Baker the Blowhard and OU.
CLemson/Bama? Wow. Toss up.
Clemson probably. And they will beat the Dawgs afterwards

Georgia has the number 1 recruit coming in that is Cam Newton like and will challenge to take the spot next year.

Alum86

Reaction Score
Georgia has the number 1 recruit coming in that is Cam Newton like and will challenge to take the spot next year.
The rich get richer. Randy will just have to coach and build em up harder.

Reaction Score
... what a rebound by UGA and that quick animal D.
Certainly, a solid Georgia rebound. However, Kerryon Johnson's rib and shoulder injuries incurred in Auburn’s bama defeat significantly contributed to Georgia's win. Instead of Johnson's typical performance as a Top 10 back and this season's only 100-yard+ SEC RB, against Georgia he gutted out season low carries (13 v avg over 25), yards (44 v 124 avg), and experienced his first fumble of the season.

Putting things in perspective, think Ped State's Saquon Barkley is impressive? Before Saturday's game, Johnson had averaged more yards and scored 6 more TDs than Bradley.

Alum86

Reaction Score
It's
I kinda like the idea of proving these Strongman issues on a Football field.

Make it 8. Guarantee the PAC 12 & B1G. A few wild cards should bring one G5. Prove it.
It's coming Pudge. You think they are not aleeady plotting lawsuits in Columbus?

Reaction Score

Discuss.

There is enough talent in the northeast and mid-Atlantic to keep things competitive. The great mystery is Rutgers. Penn, Maryland, and New Jersey have plenty of good football players, and Connecticut and the NYC area aren't too bad either. But that's certainly not enough for UConn, Syracuse and BC to ever become top dogs. Rutgers should be doing much better, PSU is already recruiting top classes, and Maryland would be excellent if they could ever retain MD players.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
This just proves to me this CFP system is already broken and the rest of the country is fighting for 3 spots as ‘bama is seemingly guaranteed 1 of the spots every season.

Reaction Score
UCF is not playoff good, they play zero defense. I thought BC and Mizzou were tougher opponents, certainly more physical. I think RE2 is looking to build that UCF type of offense realizing that our defense will be no better than average anytime soon.

As far as talent goes in the NE, a lot of really good athletes play hockey year round. The south does not have the same competition for football.

PSU gets their first pick of almost every recruit in the NE and BC is a distant second but they do pick up a decent amount of talent from Catholic HS to make them competitive. It will be interesting to see how PSU & BC do in their Bowl games representing the NE.

We have to develop 2 star talent by redshirting and building teams made of upperclassmen. You run a system and get your players ready to contribute in years 3-5. You will always get lucky with some 2 star players developing into NFL talent.

Reaction Score
UCF is not playoff good, they play zero defense. I thought BC and Mizzou were tougher opponents, certainly more physical. I think RE2 is looking to build that UCF type of offense realizing that our defense will be no better than average anytime soon.

As far as talent goes in the NE, a lot of really good athletes play hockey year round. The south does not have the same competition for football.

PSU gets their first pick of almost every recruit in the NE and BC is a distant second but they do pick up a decent amount of talent from Catholic HS to make them competitive. It will be interesting to see how PSU & BC do in their Bowl games representing the NE.

We have to develop 2 star talent by redshirting and building teams made of upperclassmen. You run a system and get your players ready to contribute in years 3-5. You will always get lucky with some 2 star players developing into NFL talent.

Neither does TCU or Oklahoma or many of these other schools. In many parts of the country, defense is an afterthought.

Reaction Score
UCF vs Auburn in the PeachBowl will show the committee that the Knights belonged in the top 5.

Alum86

Reaction Score
UCF vs Auburn in the PeachBowl will show the committee that the Knights belonged in the top 5.
Only if Auburn mails it in.

Reaction Score
If you can score and Centra Florida certainly can do that, you always have a punchers chance.

Reaction Score
It's not regional in terms of its popularity, but the talent is concentrated in the South. College football is hugely popular throughout the country except in New England.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom