OT: - College Entrance Exam Cheating Scandal | The Boneyard

OT: College Entrance Exam Cheating Scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
BREAKING: The US Attorney in Boston has unsealed indictments against at least 47 people in a nationwide college admissions cheating and recruitment scheme, including current and former D-1 coaches at Yale, Georgetown, USC, Wake Forest and Texas.

Documents say actress Lori Loughlin and her husband "agreed to pay bribes totaling $500,000 in exchange for having their two daughters designated as recruits to the USC crew team -- despite the fact that they did not participate in crew -- thereby facilitating their admission to USC."

Reaction Score
Well, well - lets see what the Yalies have done now.

Reaction Score
Well, well - lets see what the Yalies have done now.
A truly disgusting story with the real victims being the honest, hard working students who were denied admission.
A Yale women’s soccer coach did take a bribe but I don’t believe anyone is implying there was institution wide fraud at Yale or other schools involved in this scandal.
Winlots - your comment implies some wrongdoing by Yale in the past. What are you referring to?

Reaction Score
A truly disgusting story with the real victims being the honest, hard working students who were denied admission.
A Yale women’s soccer coach did take a bribe but I don’t believe anyone is implying there was institution wide fraud at Yale or other schools involved in this scandal.
Winlots - your comment implies some wrongdoing by Yale in the past. What are you referring to?

BANTAM: No intention to imply anything about past - there is nothing there that I am aware of. Was just referencing the historic rivalry between two colleges when I saw that headline pop up showing Yale as first one listed.

Reaction Score
BANTAM: No intention to imply anything about past - there is nothing there that I am aware of. Was just referencing the historic rivalry between two colleges when I saw that headline pop up showing Yale as first one listed.
Thanks for the clarification.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Saw the press conference on this from Boston. Was completely astounded by this: One parent paid over $6M in bribes to get their kid into one of these schools. The Stanford rowing coach has agreed to plead guilty.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I am saddened ever so slightly but not outraged by this scandal any more than the paying of money by the shoe company for a top Hoops player or by the school receiving a huge foundation donation by an alumni and his/her child gets in. To me, the more egregious frauds are claiming a minority status or an obscure major allowing for entrance. The former 3 categories only affect maybe 200 student slots a year, whereas the minority status and false major interest account for thousands of slots per year denying more Worthy students opportunities.

Reaction Score
Saw the press conference on this from Boston. Was completely astounded by this: One parent paid over $6M in bribes to get their kid into one of these schools. The Stanford rowing coach has agreed to plead guilty.
Crazy thing is, if they just donated the 6 million to the school, they would probably had their child admitted.
This happens all the time. Know people directly who have been approached by Ivy League schools for "donations". Harvard and other school admitted to such practices in their interviews and submitted testimony/evidence in the discrimination lawsuit brought by the Justice Department. (legacy applicants, "high value" applicants)
So, ..., if the admissions office and alumni office work together, this is considered legal!

Reaction Score
Sigh --- move along people, nothing to see here, just move along....move along please

C'mon people, what are the rich and talented supposed to do when they're stuck with a not smart enough untalented unexceptional kid.

Put 'em in public school ???????

The laugher here is some of these named schools are public.

How much to get my kid into Hartford or Waterbury branches at UConn ???

Do any of these schools have a fishing or beer pong team ?

Reaction Score
BREAKING: The US Attorney in Boston has unsealed indictments against at least 47 people in a nationwide college admissions cheating and recruitment scheme, including current and former D-1 coaches at Yale, Georgetown, USC, Wake Forest and Texas.

Documents say actress Lori Loughlin and her husband "agreed to pay bribes totaling $500,000 in exchange for having their two daughters designated as recruits to the USC crew team -- despite the fact that they did not participate in crew -- thereby facilitating their admission to USC."

Why did you exclude STANFORD they too are named. You want Stanford apparently you may buy your way in.
Not a tough school to get into if Daddy or Mommy are up to paying (as reported) 6.5 million bucks.
What is interesting to me is no one from Uconn was on that list. Thankfully no one from ND either.

Reaction Score
Sigh --- move along people, nothing to see here, just move along....move along please

C'mon people, what are the rich and talented supposed to do when they're stuck with a not smart enough untalented unexceptional kid.

Put 'em in public school ???????

The laugher here is some of these named schools are public.

How much to get my kid into Hartford or Waterbury branches at UConn ???

Do any of these schools have a fishing or beer pong team ?

Not so smart or super intellectual kids come from all economic levels. Don't damn people who worked hard to get where they are--not everyone has Rockerfella for a Daddy.
I'm fan of Uconn It may not be Yale or Stanford or Harvard but an average income Daddy can get their kids into Uconn and from that the world is open to them, even grad school in one or all of those 3 above.

Reaction Score
Not so smart or super intellectual kids come from all economic levels. Don't damn people who worked hard to get where they are--not everyone has Rockerfella for a Daddy.
I'm fan of Uconn It may not be Yale or Stanford or Harvard but an average income Daddy can get their kids into Uconn and from that the world is open to them, even grad school in one or all of those 3 above.
Huh ? .....I guess I should have added the /sarc tag.

Please. I'm a poor townie from New Haven ---my parents were broke--- my mother still can't believe I got a room in McMahon instead of the Jungle as a freshman. Christ, in '75 the lobby furniture was better than our living room. And yes, the house was inside the "red line" in Fair Haven if you know what that is. You don't need to tell me.

And by the way, New Haven has plenty of total idiots walking around with degrees from Yale.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Rico----------Ricola!

What a travesty. These days some in this country refer to the "Elite" as those with any number of advanced degrees. What nonsense. The "Elite" are and remain the rich and powerful. People like these who see themselves living on a cloud of money and influence. Above the dirt. Above people like @'nuff sed and I who grew up with two hard working parents, living as townies or in tenements. Living from paycheck to paycheck. Sometimes going to bed hungry.

On one hand this story saddens me because it diminishes all of those hard working parents and kids that earned their way into these institutions. It diminishes the education all of these kids receive. Worse, it diminishes the perception and shows the very real decline of education in this country, which now stands at a gaudy 27th, far behind countries like Finland, South Korea, Japan and Denmark. Denmark which of course recently became a whipping boy for some in the media because of their economic system. I wonder how much traction the flat earth movement has gained in these well educated countries.

On the other hand I love it. I hope more of these deep pocket line jumpers are revealed and have their names drawn through the mud.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Huh ? .....I guess I should have added the /sarc tag.

Please. I'm a poor townie from New Haven ---my parents were broke--- my mother still can't believe I got a room in McMahon instead of the Jungle as a freshman. Christ, in '75 the lobby furniture was better than our living room. And yes, the house was inside the "red line" in Fair Haven if you know what that is. You don't need to tell me.

And by the way, New Haven has plenty of total idiots walking around with degrees from Yale.

My heart bleeds. I was in the depression. Often no food. Move 100 times cuz there was no money for rent. My sister Thomaston Valdictorian got a scholarship and didn't have train fare to get it. GI Bill, spouse, got me through UConn and 3 other schools. I have at least 4 kids (out of 9) that could afford to pay those fees, I can now not then.

I totally agree with your last sentence. Too many kids going to College that belong in a Tech or Jr college. Society pushes the Degree. I had a dozen jobs that didn't require a degree but they demanded one.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Also Felicity Huffman. LINK
Bye Felicity

42e89f2f29f83a3978d48021fd1d59a458789f34.jpg

Reaction Score
My heart bleeds. I was in the depression. Often no food. Move 100 times cuz there was no money for rent. My sister Thomaston Valdictorian got a scholarship and didn't have train fare to get it. GI Bill, spouse, got me through UConn and 3 other schools. I have at least 4 kids (out of 9) that could afford to pay those fees, I can now not then.

I totally agree with your last sentence. Too many kids going to College that belong in a Tech or Jr college. Society pushes the Degree. I had a dozen jobs that didn't require a degree but they demanded one.
Well, I've been working for the last several years for foreign firms in the tech sector - with almost exclusively foreign born employees - college educated --- and it would be an eye opener for most Americans.

It's not so much degree vs non degree, although your degree would only equal about 1 yr experience in the job interview, its more about the perspective our current graduates come out of the university system with.

Let me put it this way - there is no mystery why H1B visa's are in demand.

Reaction Score
Rico----------Ricola!

What a travesty. These days some in this country refer to the "Elite" as those with any number of advanced degrees. What nonsense. The "Elite" are and remain the rich and powerful. People like these who see themselves living on a cloud of money and influence. Above the dirt. Above people like @'nuff sed and I who grew up with two hard working parents, living as townies or in tenements. Living from paycheck to paycheck. Sometimes going to bed hungry.

On one hand this story saddens me because it diminishes all of those hard working parents and kids that earned their way into these institutions. It diminishes the education all of these kids receive. Worse, it diminishes the perception and shows the very real decline of education in this country, which now stands at a gaudy 27th, far behind countries like Finland, South Korea, Japan and Denmark. Denmark which of course recently became a whipping boy for some in the media because of their economic system. I wonder how much traction the flat earth movement has gained in these well educated countries.

On the other hand I love it. I hope more of these deep pocket line jumpers are revealed and have their names drawn through the mud.

I drink at Cafe 9 (preferably through the Sat afternoon jazz jam) ....... NOT at Rudy's

YEAH ! (LOL)
1552415945563.png

Reaction Score
I am saddened ever so slightly but not outraged by this scandal any more than the paying of money by the shoe company for a top Hoops player or by the school receiving a huge foundation donation by an alumni and his/her child gets in. To me, the more egregious frauds are claiming a minority status or an obscure major allowing for entrance. The former 3 categories only affect maybe 200 student slots a year, whereas the minority status and false major interest account for thousands of slots per year denying more Worthy students opportunities.
I don't have any problem with the shoe company giving a bit to the players as they are generally the only ones not getting compensated fairly in a big time money making business (NCAA Mens basketball).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom