College Clock Management Makes Me Sad (PC-UNC) | The Boneyard

College Clock Management Makes Me Sad (PC-UNC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How does PC not make sure they go for 2 for 1? Why is UNC shooting a prayer with 7 seconds left? Why is Cotton not thinking timeout there on the rebound?

UNC got away with their booboo. Cotton's was pretty much irrelevant (just prevented them from trying a miracle). We don't know what would have happened if PC did 2 for 1, but they'd have a possession.

Reaction Score
Both poorly coached teams . Steve Kerr was giving credit to cooley for something he probably didn't even tell his team ( sag off James michael ) . Our game last night juxtaposed against many matchups from today , no match in the coaching department.

Reaction Score
How does PC not make sure they go for 2 for 1? Why is UNC shooting a prayer with 7 seconds left? Why is Cotton not thinking timeout there on the rebound?

UNC got away with their booboo. Cotton's was pretty much irrelevant (just prevented them from trying a miracle). We don't know what would have happened if PC did 2 for 1, but they'd have a possession.
Not getting an extra shot drives me nuts. Way too many college coaches screw this up. Unfortunately, UConn isn't always too great at this either under JC and now KO.

Reaction Score
stick said:
Not getting an extra shot drives me nuts. Way too many college coaches screw this up. Unfortunately, UConn isn't always too great at this either under JC and now KO.

Ef PC b!tchesssssss

Truthfully though, I wanted PC to win.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Compare Cooley's final minute train wreck to the North Dakota State's coach clinic yesterday against Oklahoma.

Reaction Score
You guys want to see elite college coaching watch Iowa state vs Nc central. Central running beautiful offense and switching up defense.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
A lot of coaches don't do 2-for-1 because they'd rather have one good offensive possession than two rushed ones, which is what you get a lot.

Reaction Score
Cooley isn't nearly the coach PC fans seem to think he is. Some day they will realize that. He has been there three years and doesn't have a single NCAA tournament win. It took KO exactly one game to get his first NCAA tourney W.

Reaction Score
Inyatkin said:
A lot of coaches don't do 2-for-1 because they'd rather have one good offensive possession than two rushed ones, which is what you get a lot.

I can see that if you get the ball with 50 seconds left and rush something in 10 seconds - NBA guys with a 24 second clock are more used to shorter time frames.

In this case, they got the ball with just over a minute and had 25 seconds to work with, and used all 25 to shoot a rushed, contested layup anyway that they could have shot 10 seconds earlier when they were just standing in one place dribbling. I'd day most of the time, if you aren't rushing that possession, college teams are taking the air out of the ball and not really executing much.

I thought equally bad was UNC shooting too early and giving themselves a chance to lose when the worst case scenario should be OT. But they got the offensive rebound. And then the next one and the next one.

I believe on the last missed foul shot, the clock was the same as it was for us against Clemson - 1.7 left (Clemson might have been 1.6). Got the rebound, called immediate TO with 1.0 left, prayer answered. Cotton apparently wanted a 70-footer. Unless the graphic was wrong and PC didn't have a timeout left, in which case Cooley wasted his last one to ice the shooter - which is a mind-numbingly stupid mistake college coaches make sometimes too.

Reaction Score

Yeah, that good offensive possession would be the 2nd free one you get. Why not take a mulligan on the 1st?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
North Carolina was murdering Providence on the offensive glass (21 offensive rebounds) - there was no guarantee that Providence would even get a second possession if they tried to go 2-1.

That may have factored in.

Reaction Score
Fishy said:
North Carolina was murdering Providence on the offensive glass (21 offensive rebounds) - there was no guarantee that Providence would even get a second possession if they tried to go 2-1.

That may have factored in.

True - Pitt, probably by accident, did a 2 for 1 perfectly when Ashton Gibbs tied up the Big East quarters with about 50 seconds left. They lost, I think.

Reaction Score
They should have got the two for one. They tried, but played it too cute.

Very fun game to watch. Cotton was superb.

Reaction Score
PC lost their starting pg, BE ROY favorite and a 3rd guy in the 8 man rotation; and all Cooley did was finish 3rd in the conference, win the tourney and come within an eyelash of beating UNC. Yeah, Cooley sucks.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
PC lost their starting pg, BE ROY favorite and a 3rd guy in the 8 man rotation; and all Cooley did was finish 3rd in the conference, win the tourney and come within an eyelash of beating UNC. Yeah, Cooley sucks.
You can't lose guys that never played a minute. We lost Andrew Bynum one year with that line of thinking. This was Cooley's roster this year, and these were the results. The real problem is having to replace Cotton next year, he was transcendent.

Reaction Score
Bynum was apples and oranges. Dunn, Austin and Bullock got lost for the year on Oct 31st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom