College Basketball Transfer Article - UConn Mentioned | The Boneyard

College Basketball Transfer Article - UConn Mentioned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Secrets of the college basketball transfer portal: Rampant tampering, back-channel deals and 'a f---ed-up cycle'

“It’s not the head coach. It’s some AAU coach calling you up and saying, ‘Hey, my guy at UConn is unhappy. Would you be interested?’ And what are you supposed to say? You say no and they go down the list. So you say something like, keep us in mind. There are days, your phone rings and you see the number and you know what it is. It’s like, oh, man, I do not want to take this call. But assistants or actual coaches doing it? I’d be really disappointed if that was the case.”

Dont want to speculate who is being referenced here, but this is definitely something that has changed in the college landscape, and you hope the culture of your team can help curve some of this from happening, but no program is bulletproof.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This was entirely predictable. The good news for a school like UConn is we are unlikely to lose our best guys to a Kentucky or Duke. It's more likely we'd lose guys who aren't playing much to a lower level program. The smaller schools who have a guy who breaks out and is terrific? Man, that must suck to lose those guys and see them move up. Like URI losing Martin. So at least UConn seems to be on the better side of this.

Reaction Score
Does anyone believe that a member of our current roster went to his AAU coach and asked him to put out feelers? Maybe. But my gut tells me this coach just decided to insert UConn as an example to create the perception that players aren’t happy here. If I was in Hurley’s position, I’d be pretty ticked off by that quote.

Reaction Score
The good news for a school like UConn is we are unlikely to lose our best guys to a Kentucky or Duke. It's more likely we'd lose guys who aren't playing much to a lower level program.
Excellent point.

All of our transfers out during the Hurley tenure have been guys who seem totally justified in their decisions and make it easy for the fans to wish them well on their next endeavor.

Last year, Carlton and Adams are perfect examples. I totally get why they went where they did and we are all wishing them well. Javonte Brown totally makes sense too, we hope he does well in A&M.

Same goes w/ Alterique and Sid last year.

No team keeps all its players all the time, but it's great to know that all of our transfers under Hurley seem to have left on good terms and it shows this coaching staff's character.

Reaction Score
Does anyone believe that a member of our current roster went to his AAU coach and asked him to put out feelers? Maybe. But my gut tells me this coach just decided to insert UConn as an example to create the perception that players aren’t happy here. If I was in Hurley’s position, I’d be pretty ticked off by that quote.
I’m gonna be even more optimistic with this spin: the coach was indeed just filling in a placeholder to make his point, and we’re finally relevant enough again to have come to mind.

Reaction Score
Is the insinuation that that's a real quote and someone from UConn wants to transfer?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He pulled a name out of thin air to illustrate a point.

Gonna post my cell number - if you guys read something scary, you can call me and I will show you why you’re being silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom