Colgate | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Colgate

Reaction Score
I love the potential of all our new players, and I am confident in their future ability to win. It appears to be a coachable team oriented group with a basketball IQ, that wants to get better individually and as a unit. As they mature and the next class joins them, I think we will be able to compete with the 5* 'talent' teams.

The problems I fear with Colgate and other early games are;

1) we are starting the game with 10 unnecessary 'turnovers' in addition to turnovers that just naturally happen in a typical game. Specifically, Larrier shows a propensity to fire up 2-4 completely ill-advised deep shots 5 seconds into a half court possession, that leads to a runout by the opponent, (I call those turnovers). Polley's welcome aggressiveness to the hoop seems to lead to a couple out of control turnovers when he doesn't dish it. Cobb wants to play guard 1-2x and does too much, and, everybody wants to throw an alley oop to Kwinten Williams and nobody seems to do it well yet. The Kwinten Williams 'tease' is worth 2 turnovers a game at this point. Over time these dumb plays will be coached to a minimum, but right now, when we shoot poorly this adds to the uphill battle.

2) we have depth to foul, but we are going to put teams to the line too much if we keep reaching. Whaley, Diarra, and Williams seem easily guilty of this. It's going to take time for so many players to gain enough experience to each minimize the silly fouls. 4 silly fouls a half will easily get an opponent shooting 2 shots at the 8min mark for the rest of a half.

3) Once we are preparing for actual teams, and have film of our actual play, Ollie will be able to coach game situations. Cumulatively that adds to team experience, but right now it's hard to see how this large mix of new players could be ready to act cohesively to every out of bounds situation offensively and defensively in every situation in terms of game score and time on the clock. The list of game situations is endless and the time to prepare has been short for so many new players. What if the other team has a big scoring post, what if they have 2 wing shooters that are hot, a penetrating guard, playing 4 guards, etc etc.

4) Shooting well enough is my 4th worry, and the only one that we may not naturally improve on, except at the margin eliminating a few of the dumb shots. Shooting a max of 35% from 3 may just be what it is and we have to win in other ways.

Crossing my fingers Jalen can be the difference maker and we don't have bad resume losses early while we get better. My preference is getting better with a few early wins that are harder than they should be. I don't want to learn from losses.

Reaction Score
New Haven Register article 11/8: Only two players played in more than four games last season. Three sat out all or most of last season due to injury. Eight others are new to the program.

Needless to say I have no idea what this UConn team will be this year as we have really only seen Adams & Vital play college basketball at all for more than a couple games. I think they will be better than last year but it may take a few weeks to know.....I'm just excited to get it started again!

As a Mets & Giants fan I haven't seen a meaningful game of any kind in awhile.....I'm hoping the UConn Men are playing meaningful games in March, about all we can hope for right now.

Reaction Score
Well.....I saw Bob Marley perform in their gym on Halloween of 1979. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
I love the potential of all our new players, and I am confident in their future ability to win. It appears to be a coachable team oriented group with a basketball IQ, that wants to get better individually and as a unit. As they mature and the next class joins them, I think we will be able to compete with the 5* 'talent' teams.

1) we are starting the game with 10 unnecessary 'turnovers' in addition to turnovers that just naturally happen in a typical game. Specifically, Larrier shows a propensity to fire up 2-4 completely ill-advised deep shots 5 seconds into a half court possession, that leads to a runout by the opponent, (I call those turnovers). Polley's welcome aggressiveness to the hoop seems to lead to a couple out of control turnovers when he doesn't dish it. Cobb wants to play guard 1-2x and does too much, and, everybody wants to throw an alley oop to Kwinten Williams and nobody seems to do it well yet. The Kwinten Williams 'tease' is worth 2 turnovers a game at this point. Over time these dumb plays will be coached to a minimum, but right now, when we shoot poorly this adds to the uphill battle.

2) we have depth to foul, but we are going to put teams to the line too much if we keep reaching. Whaley, Diarra, and Williams seem easily guilty of this. It's going to take time for so many players to gain enough experience to each minimize the silly fouls. 4 silly fouls a half will easily get an opponent shooting 2 shots at the 8min mark for the rest of a half.

3) Once we are preparing for actual teams, and have film of our actual play, Ollie will be able to coach game situations. Cumulatively that adds to team experience, but right now it's hard to see how this large mix of new players could be ready to act cohesively to every out of bounds situation offensively and defensively in every situation in terms of game score and time on the clock. The list of game situations is endless and the time to prepare has been short for so many new players. What if the other team has a big scoring post, what if they have 2 wing shooters that are hot, a penetrating guard, playing 4 guards, etc etc.

4) Shooting well enough is my 4th worry, and the only one that we may not naturally improve on, except at the margin eliminating a few of the dumb shots. Shooting a max of 35% from 3 may just be what it is and we have to win in other ways.

Crossing my fingers Jalen can be the difference maker and we don't have bad resume losses early while we get better. My preference is getting better with a few early wins that are harder than they should be. I don't want to learn from losses.

Give the ball to Jalen and let him do his thing

Reaction Score
I'm glad their big men aren't like 6'11", if they're our size I'm less worried. I need to see our Whaleys and Diarras crashing those boards, I need to see Vital making himself very available for open kickout 3's after Alterique/Jalen drive by their guards with sheer athleticism, and I would love to see Polley as the middle man in some smooth fast break plays.

Reaction Score

This is the kind of post I love to read on the Yard. Great stuff, I agree with most all of it. I'd add that in addition to the 'bad' aggression of silly fouls, the young bigs have shown the potential for 'good' aggression on the offensive glass. It's been a while since that was a meaningful part of our game, and I hope it is this year. Good offensive rebounding can cure a lot of ills.

Reaction Score
I don't see any odds on this game yet but if I had to guess I would go with UConn -11.5

Reaction Score
Colgate +15 and higher I'll be on Colgate. I have yet to see anything that makes me believe we will blow anyone out to start the season

Reaction Score
I'm pretty excited since this will be my 2 week old baby girl's first UConn game (that she's napping and chirping during while daddy swears at the screen)

Both sides of her family have nice height, and she was born with noticeably large feet too big for almost all of the newborn booties we had for her. She will be nudged in the direction of the basketball throughout her life in the hopes that one day a man named Geno or his successor might make a visit to coax her to Storrs.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Don't they have a pretty good guard who transferred over from Aquafresh?

Reaction Score
I googled UConn Colgate spread and all I got was instructions on how to put toothpaste on the brush.
And what was the spread on that + or- 1/2". Not so long ago this would have been a cupcake game, a tuneup and now not so much.

Reaction Score
And what was the spread on that + or- 1/2". Not so long ago this would have been a cupcake game, a tuneup and now not so much.
After Wagner and Northeastern, every team that comes into the Gampel will think that they have a good chance to win. We need to beat that thought out of teams that come to Storrs (as well as beat them on the scoreboard). We need to re-establish Gampel as graveyard for early season opponents.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
TV question: Last year, I couldn't stream SNY games live on ESPN3, because they were blacked out in the New Haven viewing market. I think I was able to watch ESPN replays, using Optimum login. Is that still the case?
Will I have to go out of home to watch live?
Recommendations?
I miss Delaney's.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I googled UConn Colgate spread and all I got was instructions on how to put toothpaste on the brush.
9 out of 10 dentists surveyed recommend the under.

Reaction Score
Colgate +15 and higher I'll be on Colgate. I have yet to see anything that makes me believe we will blow anyone out to start the season

Three of Colgate's top five players (Regisford, Rivard, and Swopshire) have been out with injuries. Those three represent virtually all of Colgate's rebounding and interior defense. If they don't play, UConn should win by 30 or more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom