Cole Hamels to Boston rumor | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cole Hamels to Boston rumor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There's a couple teams spending as much as them as of late to try to contend, can you name them method man? And please talk to me about Texiera and ARod - I know one team who almost had both of them - can you name them? Wish you won both of this now? :(

Reaction Score
There's a couple teams spending as much as them as of late to try to contend, can you name them method man? And please talk to me about Texiera and ARod - I know one team who almost had both of them - can you name them? Wish you won both of this now? :(
How about the Dodgers and Angels who are spending like crazy but I did not see either if them in the World Series. I agree that if you have the money, it is easier to stack your line-up with proven players, however that does not guarantee success. So who has had the success. If you define success as winning a league championship. Then we have these results looking back 20 years. There a total of 30 teams and 20 of them have won at least one league championship. Not too bad. Of the winners the top team with seven is the New York Yankees. Tied with second with four each is the San Francisco Giants and the St. Louis Cardinals. With three titles we have the Boston Red Sox and the Atlanta Braves. With two, are the Texas Rangers, Philadelphia Phillies, the Detroit Tigers, the Florida Marlins and the Cleveland Indians.

So what is the magic formula. I think it is astute management. Sometimes you look at your team and identify what is missing and go out and get it. My best example is the Red Sox in 2003 fell short but realized that they needed another starter and a closer. They aggressively went out and landed Curt Schilling and Keith Foulke. In 2012 they finished dead last and realized they needed some good club house players. I think they were even surprised at the result in 2013.

Reaction Score
Money doesn't guarantee success. Yanks spent a lot of money for sure and they can have a few extra's hanging around to see if they can work out, but let's not pretend these are big financial guaranteed spends to bring those guys on.

They've already said they will not be involved in the Lester, Scherzer type free agents so it will be interesting to see what they do. I think it's a great year to keep the finances down, try to throw a decent team out there but don't make winning #1. Make getting younger #1 and waiting for a good free agent year #2. Jeter's gone and it's time now to prepare for Tex and Arod to follow soon enough. Need to close a deal with Betances and maybe keep Roberston for one more year to allow him to grow still. SS is a concern, 3B I'm hearing Headley again.

Love a power hitter in the OF with the 2 slap hitters........we'll see lot's to do!

Reaction Score
Come on. The yankees management style is currently a laughing stock. Overpay and bid against yourself for overrated, underperforming veterans on the downside of their careers while trying to outsmart yourself by half in the draft. Buy in a seller's market and sell in a buyer's market!!!

The team with - BY FAR - the greatest revenue stream is tying its own hands and avoiding signing quality players like Sherzer and Lester ? WTF ? I hope they buy something really nice with all the money they're saving!

The funniest question to ponder is, once all that cash going to A-Rod, Tex, and CC is off the books, then what ? The sad thing is, there's 2-3 more years of that to go! HA! I wonder who the Brian McCann and Carlos Beltrans of the baseball world will be then.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I hate the Yankees, but I think Cashman is doing the right thing here. There has been a shift in baseball, and the Yankees need to move in that direction. Is there any word on whether they are looking at the Cuban OF with power? That would make sense. The Yankees can spend wisely by signing more international kids, getting all their draft picks to sign and spending on scouting and development. That's where the money helps the most. There is too much money across the leagues now, you can't just buy a team anymore. Young players are impacting the game sooner, as fewer washed up players can land long contracts.

Reaction Score
I hate the Yankees, but I think Cashman is doing the right thing here. There has been a shift in baseball, and the Yankees need to move in that direction. Is there any word on whether they are looking at the Cuban OF with power? That would make sense. The Yankees can spend wisely by signing more international kids, getting all their draft picks to sign and spending on scouting and development. That's where the money helps the most. There is too much money across the leagues now, you can't just buy a team anymore. Young players are impacting the game sooner, as fewer washed up players can land long contracts.
I would agree, with the exception of the point that Cashman is the guy in charge that has them IN this position in the first place.

It will be very telling if they not only pass on all the quality free agents this year, but also the big dollar international free agents as well. They're already way, WAY over their allotted money for this year, so if they don't make a splash with at least one of the big names available in the near future, they're shut out of the international market for a couple years altogether, effectively.

They don't get points for money saved. But they will get extra empty seats if they screw around much longer. The answer to spending too much money on bad free agents isn't to blindly spend MORE money, but it isn't to avoid spending money altogether, either.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Bogaerts and Owens to Philly for Hamels? Unless they can somehow convince Amaro to take Cespedes instead (possible, given that Amaro is the worst GM in all of baseball).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom