Cody zeller | The Boneyard

Cody zeller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He's not looking good but to call him soft just shows you haven't watched him through the years.

Reaction Score
Indiana is not very athletic, especially relative to Syracuse or top tier Big East teams.

Reaction Score
He's not looking good but to call him soft just shows you haven't watched him through the years.
It is 2nd year and I have. His softness has been a knock on his game since he arrived at IU, not sure what you have been watching

Reaction Score
Now I see the Indiana '17 in your sig. That explains your view. It is wrong, but at least it explains it.

Zeller's been hacked at all year. The fact is, IU sucks against the zone.

Reaction Score
I am born and raised from Indiana, and let me tell you that he is soft. I have to hear this fan base everyday talk about how good IU is. Not a fan of Cuse and I don't dislike IU, but their fan base made me hate this team. Zeller got worked in every facet of the game tonight and I had to hear all game long that it was the referees fault. He isn't NBA ready by any means; the look down and dribble into traffic and attempt to put up a shot didnt work against a Cuse frontline, it won't work at all against an NBA one. I'm just happy IU is out so I don't have to hear such fairweather/bandwagon fans.

Reaction Score
He's not soft that's not the right word. He has no touch around the rim. He puts his head down and drives into ppl that's his go to move. He has zero back to the basket game. He's massively overrated. His last two games have been about as bad as you will see. This draft is a odd one. I would take Adrien Payne over Zeller but the experts say their 40 spots apart.

Reaction Score
He's a real nice player..........not soft, not reall strong around the hoop but a good player......not sure it translates into the next level but he's a very good college player who had a rough game like the rest of his team!

Reaction Score
He's not soft that's not the right word. He has no touch around the rim. He puts his head down and drives into ppl that's his go to move. He has zero back to the basket game. He's massively overrated. His last two games have been about as bad as you will see. This draft is a odd one. I would take Adrien Payne over Zeller but the experts say their 40 spots apart.
Let's look at the NBA draft evaluations.

http://nbadraft.net/players/cody-zeller

Strengths: nice touch on shot

Weakness: toughness

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/results/players/_/id/19696/cody-zeller?refresh=true&refresh=true

Strengths: Skilled scorer around the basket

Negatives: Needs to be more physical and strength

The one thing he has is nice touch and ability to score in the pant. His major weakness is toughness.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen him play much. However, it isn't a good sign when you are supposed to be a premier big and you get your shot blocked at least 5 times by a non NBA prospect Keita or guys a couple inches shorter than you like Fair and Southerland.

Honestly, I was surprised by Indiana's lack of athleticism.

Reaction Score
Let's look at the NBA draft evaluations.

http://nbadraft.net/players/cody-zeller

Strengths: nice touch on shot

Weakness: toughness

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/results/players/_/id/19696/cody-zeller?refresh=true&refresh=true

Strengths: Skilled scorer around the basket

Negatives: Needs to be more physical and strength

The one thing he has is nice touch and ability to score in the pant. His major weakness is toughness.

He has decent touch on his 15 foot shot I guess. But that evaluation will need an update his touch around the rim is the worse I have ever seen. He's a good rebounder and ok defender if he was soft he wouldn't be those things. Just because he is white doesn't mean he is soft.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to call him soft exactly, but he has issues with carving out space and he looks to be more like 6'8 than 6'10. That is going to be an issue, especially given that he does not have great lift.

Still he is skilled. We will see.

Reaction Score
I saw on draftexpress he is listed at 6 11 with a 6'8 wing span. You don't see that very often

Reaction Score
I saw on draftexpress he is listed at 6 11 with a 6'8 wing span. You don't see that very often

Agree with bmayuc he looks to be more like 6'8" and not very gifted on vertical, but "soft" is way off!!!! People do not know what "soft" means if they label him as such........

Reaction Score
He has decent touch on his 15 foot shot I guess. But that evaluation will need an update his touch around the rim is the worse I have ever seen. He's a good rebounder and ok defender if he was soft he wouldn't be those things. Just because he is white doesn't mean he is soft.
I find it hilarious when people on here label a kids game, but it is actually the opposite of what all the NBA people say.
NBADraft.net
He has a quick first step for a 6'11'' center, which makes him tough to guard at the high post, and dangerous on the low block. His touch and hands within 10 feet of the rim are as soft as a baby's bottom, so anytime he gets his shot off there's a good chance it's going in.

Weaknesses
Though exceptionally-skilled offensively, Zeller lacks range as a face-up jump shooter. Rarely do you see Indiana run a pick-and-pop for him to stick an 18-footer, which eliminates an avenue for points and limits his scoring opportunities.
One of the major weaknesses that can hold him back in the draft is the minimal pressure he puts on opposing frontcourts as a rebounding presence. He only averaged 6.6 boards as a freshman, and while he's improved that number to 8.1 as a sophomore, he still looks vulnerable anchoring the defensive glass.
Below is an example of his lack of aggressiveness around the rim:

I can keep providing draft profiles that rave about his skill and touch around the basket and complain about his toughness, but you guys in the know will probably keep saying "his touch around the rim is the worse I have ever seen" and he is the toughest kid on the court.

Too funny.

Reaction Score
Did u watch the game last night? or the game vs Temple? You thought you were watching a skilled big man? You saw indiana throw the ball into him and him make skilled moves? When he got the ball he ended up with a falling down layup.

Sorry I disagree with chad fords draft analysis

Reaction Score
You put him against bigger, stronger or more physical players he gets pushed around consistently, he had 5 shots blocked last night and is falling down on most of his layups. He is as soft as they come. When he gets the ball against a less physical defender he will score down low consistently. He has nice skills for a guy his size and solid touch, but all you need to do is push him around a little and get in his face and that skill set crumbles much like he does.

Reaction Score
I think he gets shot blocked because he has no skillset. Never shoots a jump hook, never shoots a fadeaway, never shoots a face up jumper. All he does is lower his head and tried to drive past people. I dont think Baye Moussa Keita or Rakeem Christmas are tough guys. Just long Athletic guys who are gonna block his terrible Layup attempts.

Reaction Score
^ Agreed 10x. I have no idea how the "he's so skilled" thing took off. It's like if enough ppl say it often enough, it's true. I don't think I've ever seen him make a legit post move or any move that made me say "Damn! That was nice". He shoots over the top of shorter, weaker players. Other than that, he's rarely creating his own looks.

He drives wildly out of control, gets so off balance and then throws up some ugly layup that rarely goes in. He isn't skilled that skilled, not yet at least.

He's big and coordinated and has good hands, that doesn't mean he's got a great skillset.

Reaction Score
Just my opinion but Zeller reminds me of Troy Murphy as far as the NBA goes. Not as good a shooter as Murphy. A little better rebounder. He'll play in the league for years.

However, I can't see how a team can take him towards the top of the draft. If a team does he better be more Kevin Love than not.

Nice player but not a guy who you would think is going to be a star. He'll be a rotation guy for a good team and a starter for a bad one because they picked him so high.

Reaction Score
I am born and raised from Indiana, and let me tell you that he is soft. I have to hear this fan base everyday talk about how good IU is. Not a fan of Cuse and I don't dislike IU, but their fan base made me hate this team. Zeller got worked in every facet of the game tonight and I had to hear all game long that it was the referees fault. He isn't NBA ready by any means; the look down and dribble into traffic and attempt to put up a shot didnt work against a Cuse frontline, it won't work at all against an NBA one. I'm just happy IU is out so I don't have to hear such fairweather/bandwagon fans.
Also a born and raised Hoosier I agree with most of this except as insufferable as the IU fanbase has become , like seriously every loss is Tom Creans fault as if he didnt rebuild that program from scratch, the majority are not fair weather they were still selling out Assembly Hall when they were the doormat On Zeller hes never been physical hes Pau Gasol (ceiling) or hes just another Zeller (see Tyler and Luke)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom