Coaching | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coaching

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I don't think recruiting is that bad. Its just a matter of analyzing talent in high school. Calhoun constantly brought in solid 3 star recruits who panned out to be great players. Okafor (some rated a 4 star), Denham Brown, Hilton Armstrong, and even Craig Austrie was a dependable ball handler and shooter throughout his career.

Jim Calhoun could see a guy and decide whether he would pan out or not. Of course there were the hiccups (Darius Smith, Trice, etc.) but there were a lot more 3-star success stories than failures. Ollie needs to learn how to analyze recruits because right now, and I know its early, he's 0-5 over the last 2 years on 3 and 4 star players. And don't even say Brimah is a success yet - the kid's basketball IQ is that of a cucumber. He dunks well and blocks shots from the weak side, that's it.

I'm not saying Ollie is failing at recruiting, it just might take longer to develop said talent than it took JC to develop his recruits. Experience I guess.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I don't think recruiting is that bad. Its just a matter of analyzing talent in high school. Calhoun constantly brought in solid 3 star recruits who panned out to be great players. Okafor (some rated a 4 star), Denham Brown, Hilton Armstrong, and even Craig Austrie was a dependable ball handler and shooter throughout his career.

Jim Calhoun could see a guy and decide whether he would pan out or not. Of course there were the hiccups (Darius Smith, Trice, etc.) but there were a lot more 3-star success stories than failures. Ollie needs to learn how to analyze recruits because right now, and I know its early, he's 0-5 over the last 2 years on 3 and 4 star players. And don't even say Brimah is a success yet - the kid's basketball IQ is that of a cucumber. He dunks well and blocks shots from the weak side, that's it.

I'm not saying Ollie is failing at recruiting, it just might take longer to develop said talent than it took JC to develop his recruits. Experience I guess.

That's fair. But I also think that sort of an eye is a once-in-a-generation thing.

4 titles. Won one LAST YEAR. Three Final Fours in the last 5 years.

Go recruit like it.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
That's fair. But I also think that sort of an eye is a once-in-a-generation thing.

4 titles. Won one LAST YEAR. Three Final Fours in the last 5 years.

Go recruit like it.
People recruit against us using three letters, "AAC."

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Jim Calhoun could see a guy and decide whether he would pan out or not. [/QUOTE]
I think JC looked for athleticism. It is probably easier to teach an athelete to play BB than to teach a player to be an athelete.

Reaction Score
It's hard to watch. Love Brimah. Feel bad for Boat. Right now DeAndre looks like he made a great call.
We would be a much better team with DD
One player who could knock down 3's solves a bunch of problems and hides some weaknesses.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Talent is also the ability to play intelligently, not just running and jumping. Thousands of guys could out run and jump Bazz. But, Bazz could think his way through the game, make the correct plays and keep his composure. So, we are not as talented as people
on this board seem to think we are.

Reaction Score
Its the youth and inexperience and good but not great talent Coach is working with. Anyone can see that. Not sure God himself could get better results.

This team needs more time and unfortunately this season is used for development, chemistry and education. Can't lose what we did and expect a quick fix.

Oh and it sure ain't Ollie bouncing the ball off his leg, shooting bricks or throwing lazy passes to opponents.

Reaction Score
I'm putting this on the players. Remember Jim Calhoun didn't have good teams every year. How many times has coach k lost in the tournament to a heavy underdog. Very few teams are great every year, UConn will never be one of them. Ollie deserves more of a chance. Don't loss hope though, aac tournament is in Hartford.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's hard to watch. Love Brimah. Feel bad for Boat. Right now DeAndre looks like he made a great call.
The team would be much, much better with Daniels. Having a reliable person to kick the ball who can either drive or hit a three is huge. A lot tougher to smother Boat if you have worry about Daniels as well. Daniels adds a reliable rebounder that makes Amida looking for the block less of risk. Plus add the fact that kids like Hamilton's confidence are as roughed up at this point with less pressure on them. We're easily a ranked team with DD and right now the board would talking about another post season run rather that hoping we could string together enough wins to tourney championship guarantied bid.

Reaction Score
superjohn said:
More talent than Cincy and every other team we have lost to besides Duke and Texas.

I'm jealous that I'm still in my office and not smoking what you're smoking. You still think we have the best back court in the country?

Reaction Score
Have to see what KO does with his own set of players. He won with JC's players last year. All the major pieces were JC guys. So far not looking so good.

Reaction Score
Talent is also the ability to play intelligently, not just running and jumping.

Good point. And that is a talent that must be difficult to assess while recruiting. I remember Calhoun saying something like that he wasn't a very good coach because it took him half a season to realize that Nadev should be a starter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm jealous that I'm still in my office and not smoking what you're smoking. You still think we have the best back court in the country?
So what teams that we have lost to have more individual talent than us outside of Texas and Duke? I'll help you out since you probably don't know who we've lost to. Cincinnati, Tulsa, Stanford, Temple, West Virginia and Yale. I know you just like to be critical of everything everyone says but let's try and add a little substance this time, BigErn. It's okay you don't know much about the sport but give it a whirl big guy.

Reaction Score
Have to see what KO does with his own set of players. He won with JC's players last year. All the major pieces were JC guys. So far not looking so good.
Ugh, I hate this sentiment that Kevin Ollie walked into a situation where he was guaranteed a national championship within 2 years. If you want to use the argument that KO won with Calhoun's recruits, then your argument stops at Shabazz, Niels and Tyler.

Kevin Ollie joined the staff in the summer of 2010 and was a lead recruiter for both Ryan Boatright and DeAndre Daniels (as well as all the other players on the team not named Shabazz, Niels, or Tyler) and convinced Lasan Kromah to transfer to UConn. And as soon as Calhoun retired, KO made it a priority to convince Shabazz to stay, as he was considering transferring, so the point about Shabazz only being a Jim Calhoun recruit is kind of moot, too.

You're lying if you looked at the team at the end of the 2011-2012, with Jim Calhoun retiring and a postseason ban on the horizon, and thought to yourself that Kevin Ollie had a great chance at winning a national championship because he still had a roster full of "JC guys".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
superjohn said:
So what teams that we have lost to have more individual talent than us outside of Texas and Duke? I'll help you out since you probably don't know who we've lost to. Cincinnati, Tulsa, Stanford, Temple, West Virginia and Yale. I know you just like to be critical of everything everyone says but let's try and add a little substance this time, BigErn. It's okay you don't know much about the sport but give it a whirl big guy.

You're going to say we have the best back court in the country and lecture someone else about not knowing about the sport, "big guy"?

Reaction Score
Too much talent to look this bad.
Talent, really? When the lineup is Boat, Tsam, Hamilton, Facey and Brimah we have two scorers. Where are the points supposed to come from? This looks like a pretty easy lineup to defend.

Dribbles

Mrs. Dribbles
Reaction Score
We have played okay against the 2-3 tonight. It hasn't been pretty but we have done a pretty decent job of getting looks in the paint. I think that one of our problems has been we are just looking to shoot the long jump shot rather than making quick passes, setting a screen on the zone, or running different looks at the defense.
Yeah, we shot just over 30%. Isn't that OK?

Reaction Score
Really JC deserted ship and many left with him
His last season With JC BYers were calling SN one of the worst PG in our history,
DD who only came here because of Ollie was the biggest bust in history.
We couldn't recruit so we had to go to Germany to get non-athletes NG and Wolf. UConn was dead,
Ryan Boatright only came here when Huggy recruited over him ,and he had nowhere else to go. That's the hand KO was dealth. Somehow he managed to win a NC with these losers,so maybe there is still hope for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Was the national championship not enough. We are down this year we lost our whole team besides boat. No one played over 10 min

Is it so hard to actually look at some stats from last year?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
First, get a million dollars...
I'm a sucker for classic Steve Martin stand-up references. To my surprise, they increasingly meet with blank stares when I use them. It's *almost* as if most people aren't old enough anymore to remember that he was a stand-up comic.

Reaction Score
You're going to say we have the best back court in the country and lecture someone else about not knowing about the sport, "big guy"?
Once again you make a dumb statement and then don't back it up, answer 'n question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom