Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Pat still at the top with 1098.
Tara 11 back.
Geno 17 back.

Tara has an outside chance to pass Pat this season, although next season is more likely. Geno will pass her next season
Tara is at 1090 right now. She needs 8 to tie, 9 to pass.

I believe Geno is at 1083.

Reaction Score
As of today (2/18/2020):
Summitt - 1098
Tara - 1090
Geno - 1083
Stevens - 1056
Stringer - 1037
Hatchell - 1028
McGraw - 933

For the top 7 changes in wins/position (None play tonight)

Reaction Score
FYI for those who haven't heard of Stevens - She is the coach of Bently University for the past 42 years. They are currently 17-7 this year and are a DII school.

Reaction Score
FYI for those who haven't heard of Stevens - She is the coach of Bently University for the past 42 years. They are currently 17-7 this year and are a DII school.
A friend of mine went to Bentley and she took me to a couple of games: It is better quality basketball than you might expect at that level.

Reaction Score
Barbara Stevens is obviously a well respected coach at Bentley. The basketball court is named after her, she won a DII National Championship in 2014 and she is in the WBB Hall of Fame. However, her first 123 wins were with DIII Clark University in Worcester MA, starting in 1977(that’s right - 43 Years ago!) She then went up to DI UMass for three years where she achieved a record of 34 Wins and 49 Losses. She then went to Bentley and has been there ever since.

Its possible she actually coached head to head against Geno for one game in 1986 - her last year at UMass and Geno’s first at UConn. However, I could not find any record of such a game or a score.

She is exactly six months younger than Geno and could easily coach a year or two or more after he stops. She’s only 1+ years behind him in wins now. If she ends up ahead of him and Pat and Tara it seems to me it should be with a massive asterisk next to her name.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Given Stanford's remaining gauntlet of a schedule in the Pac-12, it will be a tall order for Tara to tie Pat's win total this season. Her team hosts the Oregon schools this coming weekend, and then takes the treacherous trip to the desert, from which no team, not even mighty Oregon, has emerged unscathed. Stanford could almost as easily lose all 4 games as win all of them. Probably the most likely outcome is 2-2.

With 5 teams in the top 15 and 6 in the top 25, even the Pac-12 quarterfinals promise to be brutal. For the teams that finish 3rd and 4th in the conference standings -- and that could be where Stanford ends up -- just winning one game in the P12 tournament will be no easy task.

As for the NCAA tournament, Stanford is virtually a lock to host at this point and will probably be a 2 seed, and so they *should* be good for 2 or 3 wins there. But of course, you never know. Could be more, could be less.

The Vegas oddsmakers would probably make it about 2-1 or 3-1 odds that Tara falls just short of 1098 this season. Getting 8 wins will likely require Stanford to do very well (better than expected) in 2 out of the remaining 3 "phases" of the season.

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Barbara Stevens is obviously a well respected coach at Bentley. The basketball court is named after her, she won a DII National Championship in 2014 and she is in the WBB Hall of Fame. However, her first 123 wins were with DIII Clark University in Worcester MA, starting in 1977(that’s right - 43 Years ago!) She then went up to DI UMass for three years where she achieved a record of 34 Wins and 49 Losses. She then went to Bentley and has been there ever since.

Its possible she actually coached head to head against Geno for one game in 1986 - her last year at UMass and Geno’s first at UConn. However, I could not find any record of such a game or a score.

She is exactly six months younger than Geno and could easily coach a year or two or more after he stops. She’s only 1+ years behind him in wins now. If she ends up ahead of him and Pat and Tara it seems to me it should be with a massive asterisk next to her name.
12/12/85: UCONN 62 UMASS 59

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uconnhuskies.com/documents/2019/10/24/1920_Media_Guide_WEB.pdf

UMASS records - page 12

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

She is a finalist for the Naismith Hall of Fame this year. And yes, there would be, if not a "big" asterisk, clearly notation of the level at which she accomplished the wins.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

Man, if you want longevity at a school, Bentley might be the place to go. Mary Kay Samko is their swim coach who has been coaching for 38 years, these last 22 at Bentley. Got to be an opening there in the next 5, 10 15 years right? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
As of 2/28/2020 (all relevant games completed):
Summitt - 1098
Tara - 1091 (lost today)
Geno - 1086 (Plays Saturday)
Stevens - 1058 (Plays Sunday)
Stringer - 1039
Hatchell - 1028
McGraw - 935

For the top 7 changes in wins

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A friend of mine went to Bentley and she took me to a couple of games: It is better quality basketball than you might expect at that level.
DII basketball is often really well played by players who just aren't as tall or physically as strong as D1 players - and the coaching can be just as good as D1 at both DII and DIII. Scott Rueck is an example - making the jump from DIII coach of the year to D1 Oregon State - took him three years but he got them back to the NCAA for the first time since 1996 in 2014 (and every year since) and to the FF for the first time in 2016.

Reaction Score
Updated my previous post. Geno can cut Tara's lead to 4 tomorrow.

Plebe

Reaction Score
The likelihood of Tara catching Pat this year just went down quite a bit with tonight's overtime loss to Arizona.

Even with a win over ASU Sunday, Tara will need a particularly strong showing in both the Pac-12 and NCAA tournaments to get 9 more wins.

Reaction Score
2/29/2020 (all relevant games completed):
Summitt - 1098
Tara - 1091
Geno - 1087
Stevens - 1058 (Plays Sunday)
Stringer - 1039
Hatchell - 1028
McGraw - 935

Top 7 coaches in wins

Reaction Score
I wonder how many wins Hatchell will lose when the NCAA hammer drops on UNC? Could be in the hundreds.
HoopsFan - there are two realities. One - A homeless man living under a cardboard shelter in December wondering where his next meal is coming from and saying to the man next to him "Every time I had a few extra dollars I played the Connecticut lottery", and, two - the NCAA severely punishing North Carolina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom