Coaching Staff Change | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coaching Staff Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I do think Clyde Vaughn could be very impactful with a kid like Amida.

Clyde is a very very good big mans coach, at 6'3"-6'4". My point is you don't need a "big" to coach the bigs. Clyde played big when he was at Pitt even at his size because he was a wide strong guy who used brains and brawn to rebound and score. He is welcome on my staff anytime but not so much for UConn's due to his errors in judgement off the court. I'm willing to forgive LOL

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
You'd think this guy

ray-allen-uconn-graduate-nba-player-black-enterprise.jpg

would recruit better than this guy

220px-Barry_Rohrssen_2014.jpg

but you'd be wrong.

Reaction Score
You'd think this guy

ray-allen-uconn-graduate-nba-player-black-enterprise.jpg

would recruit better than this guy

220px-Barry_Rohrssen_2014.jpg

but you'd be wrong.
I don't know.. Maybe I'm wrong..but I would take my chances with Ray all day long.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think we should hire Chris Rock as an assistant coach.

He can do like five or ten minutes in a recruit's living room and then Ollie can seal the deal.
" so should you go to UConn. duck yeah!"

Reaction Score
Thread titles like this one are so irresponsible it's ridiculous. Can you at least go through the effort of putting a question mark at the end? Btw, Okafor has no coaching experience and after sitting out a year will most likely play in the NBA again as he's only in his early 30s.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I don't know.. Maybe I'm wrong..but I would take my chances with Ray all day long.
Not it that contest. You take "Slice" all day and twice on Sunday.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Clyde is a very very good big mans coach, at 6'3"-6'4". My point is you don't need a "big" to coach the bigs. Clyde played big when he was at Pitt even at his size because he was a wide strong guy who used brains and brawn to rebound and score. He is welcome on my staff anytime but not so much for UConn's due to his errors in judgement off the court. I'm willing to forgive LOL

Clyde knew how to play with a guy on his hip. Too bad he liked to play with a rented lady on his lap.

C

Chief00

Clyde certainly played a price for his mistake. What it will come down to is how badly UConn wants to win - in my opinion the APR pendulum has swung too far in the academics direction. We need some flexibility!

Reaction Score
CAHUSKY said:

Slice got some good NYC kids at Pitt, none of whom made a sniff in the NBA, and then was an epic failure at Manhattan - pretty much the only guy who ever couldn't win there (look - took them 2 years to get good again after he left). Now he got a golden parachute into a place where a cute puppy could probably land a couple recruits.

I still think Slice, Ace Recruiter is largely a myth. Had he landed at Rutgers as an assistant and did something there, I'd tip my cap.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
abdelmessiih, yup. i remember him dapping up KO and hugging him before and after the game last year. Although Not sure what he can do recruiting wise when he cant lure players because of in conference schedule chalked full of ranked teams ( kansas,texas, etc)

Seems to me the guy has recruited some pretty rugged athletic players to ISU and the last time I checked - they are fairly competitive in their conference

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Slice got some good NYC kids at Pitt, none of whom made a sniff in the NBA, and then was an epic failure at Manhattan - pretty much the only guy who ever couldn't win there (look - took them 2 years to get good again after he left). Now he got a golden parachute into a place where a cute puppy could probably land a couple recruits.

I still think Slice, Ace Recruiter is largely a myth. Had he landed at Rutgers as an assistant and did something there, I'd tip my cap.
His classes at Pitt were fantastic. Who cares what they did in the NBA? his classes at KY are legendary. Hard to imagine you wouldn't want him on your staff. Couldn't care less about his head coaching record. Which Uconn recruiter would you rate more highly?

Reaction Score

Tony Saprano has cast a wide network though so tough to contend with.

Reaction Score
They need a big man coach who had a post game in college and doesn't like easy women. LOL!

You just eliminated 99.99999% of eligible male coaches as well as a good percentage of the female coaches.....:rolleyes:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

I personally believe that Vaughn, needing to learn how to score in the low post at his height (and he was exceptional as a college player) is what made him as good of a big man coach as he was.

I don't believe that someone needs to be at any specific minimum height to be a big man coach but I do believe he needs to have played that position at some level (there is no reason to believe a former D-3 6'3" PF couldn't be a quality teacher of post play) in order to fully understand the position.

As far as adding another former Husky, while the names thrown around sound nice, the only one who should receive any consideration at the moment is Donyell as he not only has played the position we are most lacking on the coaching staff, he has paid quite a bit of dues in the coaching profession.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I agree. The guy who had to work his butt off is a better coach because everything didn't come naturally. Naturally gifted players often don't know what to teach. It is instinctual for them.

Reaction Score
I agree. The guy who had to work his butt off is a better coach because everything didn't come naturally. Naturally gifted players often don't know what to teach. It is instinctual for them.

Exactly and the UConn staff is full of them. A HC who worked his tail off, an assistant who was over his head at UConn and transferred to Northeastern, an assistant who was undersized at the PG and overshadowed by hs AA center in HS, a PG who turned himself into he best defensive guard in college basketball by his Sr year and a undersized PF who outworked his opponents consistently in his career. In all reality they have a great staff, question is can they recruit. I have no doubt that amongst them they can teach a big how to play as well as most so this is not the issue we have.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Maybe I've been asleep all season, but was surprised to see Slice with UK. I know there was a huge outcry when Pitt/Dixon cut ties. He was responsible for every decent NYC recruit Pitt got for Howland and for Dixon's early years. The guy has a way about him - might've been too sketchy for Dixon though.

Reaction Score
Maybe I've been asleep all season, but was surprised to see Slice with UK. I know there was a huge outcry when Pitt/Dixon cut ties. He was responsible for every decent NYC recruit Pitt got for Howland and for Dixon's early years. The guy has a way about him - might've been too sketchy for Dixon though.

Slice left Pitt for UK. The ties were cut by him.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I personally believe that Vaughn, needing to learn how to score in the low post at his height (and he was exceptional as a college player) is what made him as good of a big man coach as he was.

I don't believe that someone needs to be at any specific minimum height to be a big man coach but I do believe he needs to have played that position at some level (there is no reason to believe a former D-3 6'3" PF couldn't be a quality teacher of post play) in order to fully understand the position.

As far as adding another former Husky, while the names thrown around sound nice, the only one who should receive any consideration at the moment is Donyell as he not only has played the position we are most lacking on the coaching staff, he has paid quite a bit of dues in the coaching profession.
You just described KFree. And KO although the analogy is about hard working guys who lacked the physical attributes and not coaching the 4's and 5's.

Reaction Score
CAHUSKY said:
His classes at Pitt were fantastic. Who cares what they did in the NBA? his classes at KY are legendary. Hard to imagine you wouldn't want him on your staff. Couldn't care less about his head coaching record. Which Uconn recruiter would you rate more highly?

Rohrssen has been at Kentucky for 10 months. Hired in May of 2014. His first class hasn't even arrived yet. Thank you for proving my point that his reputation is largely a myth.

At Pitt, his biggest success was Chris Taft. DeJuan Blair wasn't his - he came in after. Neither was Krauser - he came in before. There were some good players, yes - Young, Fields. But Pitt didn't drop off when he left.

http://www.cardiachill.com/2014/4/1...-recruiting-pittsburgh-panthers-john-calipari

Reaction Score
Rohrssen has been at Kentucky for 10 months. Hired in May of 2014. His first class hasn't even arrived yet. Thank you for proving my point that his reputation is largely a myth.

At Pitt, his biggest success was Chris Taft. DeJuan Blair wasn't his - he came in after. Neither was Krauser - he came in before. There were some good players, yes - Young, Fields. But Pitt didn't drop off when he left.

http://www.cardiachill.com/2014/4/1...-recruiting-pittsburgh-panthers-john-calipari

I can think of three 5 stars ... The big from Oriakhi's class, Adams, and the Canadian lefty that transferred to UNLV. We're any of them Slice recruits?

Reaction Score
Can't cosign this post enough, dude gets a catchy nickname, wears a zoot suit so that he can complete the college coach caricature, and immediately the hype for him begins. Forget about what his guys did in the NBA, besides Taft who had a quick layover in the NBA, none of those guys even made it to that level. I've long thought that guy was overrated, we had guys on here in the fall crediting him with landing Briscoe when it was obvious Briscoe was enamored with the aura around Calipari and UK. Calipari could've took a random pizza shop owner from Brooklyn and put him in a pinstripe suit and Briscoe wouldn't have known the difference.

Reaction Score
I can think of three 5 stars ... The big from Oriakhi's class, Adams, and the Canadian lefty that transferred to UNLV. We're any of them Slice recruits?
Tom Herrion recruited Dante Taylor and Steven Adams, although Dixon played with Adams's brothers in New Zeland so that played a big part in him committing to Pitt(Herrion also landed Ashton Gibbs and Lamar Patterson among others) and Pat Skerry landed Khem Birch. Skerry leaving for Towson is a big reason why Birch eventually transferred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom