Coaching Philosophy Change | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coaching Philosophy Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'll start this post by saying Geno has forgotten more than I'll ever know about coaching elite women's basketball. That being said, I've wondered why UConn continues to push the ball up the quart most of the time. To me, having a short bench would advocate for slowing it down and concentrating on their half court sets, this would elevate some of the wear and tear from running up and down the court and in theory it should reduce the amount of TO's.

Reaction Score
Geno needs a few Bigs that can post-up and score/rebound in the paint. If not, teams will continue to aggressively defend the shooters on the perimeter and clog the passing lanes and middle. Balance with scoring in the paint will not allow teams to "cheat" on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
Geno needs a few Bigs that can post-up and score/rebound in the paint. If not, teams will continue to aggressively defend the shooters on the perimeter and clog the passing lanes and middle. Balance with scoring in the paint will not allow teams to "cheat" on the perimeter.
UCONN made it to the finals last year - so other than SC - how many other teams stopped UCONN without much of a post game?

So, do we assume that every year going forward we're going to lose 4+ players including our best all-americans each and every year?

Reaction Score
Opponents "cheat" because UConn has exactly 1 outside scoring threat. That threat is neutralized by face guarding her and bumping the heck out of her if she tries to move. That allows opponents to pack the paint and double or triple team our bigs. That fouls are rarely called with all the bumping going on greatly assists the opposing team in implementing this strategy.

Will things improve when (if) Azzi comes back? Look at it this way, can it get any worse? Here's the problem, Azzi would need to "light it up" to encourage opposing teams to cheat less. I don't expect Azzi to light it up enough to put fear in the opposing teams (maybe a little rusty, limited minutes, etc.). So, expect more of the same. I have to believe this is as plain as day to the coaching staff. They need to game plan this.

On top of that, add in stupid turnovers...

Reaction Score
I'm surprised that we all haven't learned by now that Geno blames himself to take the pressure off the team. Typically this gets in their heads and they respond.

And calling out individuals on this team, well I find it despicable. You're blaming players for not being athletic enough?

Teams have different issues to work on. I'm sure it's been made clear. They now have to execute. And guess what!? Not every team can do it. It doesn't make them bad players and it doesn't mean they've had poor coaching.

You can bash me all you like for my take, but wow. I've said it before, if the players read the boneyard any confidence they have would be shot.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
There is no change in coaching philosophy. Nor will there be. Geno knows more about basketball, psychology, motivation than most of us combined. His career record supports that.

The team gets some rest. Gets to be home to get ready. The games will be what they will be.

Reaction Score
There is no change in coaching philosophy. Nor will there be. Geno knows more about basketball, psychology, motivation than most of us combined. His career record supports that.

The team gets some rest. Gets to be home to get ready. The games will be what they will be.
I believe that you have misinterpreted my original post. Throughout Geno’s coaching career he has repeatedly stated that his team does not practice until they get it right but, rather, until they can’t get it wrong. My point was that admittedly shortened practice time due to injury, illness, rest driven availability does not allow his coaching philosophy to be actualized in the same attention to detail manner as in healthier times. I have no doubt that his standard of practice excellence will return when his core rotational players are available. Go Huskies!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Read the recruiting thread for players the Huskies are pursuing. Or, people can just repeat “we need bigs” for the rest of foreve.

On the roster next year:
Aaliyah
Ice
Ayanna
Jana
Amari

Did you forget?

Reaction Score
I'll start this post by saying Geno has forgotten more than I'll ever know about coaching elite women's basketball. That being said, I've wondered why UConn continues to push the ball up the quart most of the time. To me, having a short bench would advocate for slowing it down and concentrating on their half court sets, this would elevate some of the wear and tear from running up and down the court and in theory it should reduce the amount of TO's.
Pluses and minuses to either type of play. It looks to me like Geno would prefer to push the ball because it might get more and better shots. I think I’ve seen more shot clock violations from our half court than ever. We aren’t anywhere near the good passing TEAM we’ve always been. That gets magnified by poor shooting.

Our defense seems to be the result of our lack of offense. We’re worn out.

Still hopeful, but I think our FF streak ends this year. Also think #12 comes next year.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Pluses and minuses to either type of play. It looks to me like Geno would prefer to push the ball because it might get more and better shots. I think I’ve seen more shot clock violations from our half court than ever. We aren’t anywhere near the good passing TEAM we’ve always been. That gets magnified by poor shooting.

Our defense seems to be the result of our lack of offense. We’re worn out.

Still hopeful, but I think our FF streak ends this year. Also think #12 comes next year.
Stats say otherwise

ED07A9FA-7AED-444E-B393-19D1C2192384.jpeg

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
After reading about what Geno's thoughts are, I breathe a sigh of relief.
I, myself, am fed up with hearing so many people state that the problem with the team is that they are mentally and physically TIRED !

Geno said that he does not want to hear the words "fatigue" or "hurt" any more. He then goes on to state the real reasons for the inconsistency, which many of the above posters mention.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
Lots of forum thoughts on the current state of team performance. While Geno is clear in his first-hand assertion that the obvious decline in play is not the direct result of injuries and fatigue but rather poor coaching or, better yet, the inability for his players to actualize in game settings what is being taught in practice. My assumption is that a dramatic change in coaching philosophy has taken place.

While some teams practice plays until they get it right, Geno used to say that his teams would not stop a drill until they couldn’t get it wrong. Such a philosophy can require an ad nauseam repetition that steals valuable time from other needs coachable moments. Additionally, choices need to be made regarding what players are on the court during these “Can’t Get It Wrong” practice situations.

It seems that rare is the day that at least one starter doesn’t require rest due to injury, illness, or soreness. It’s painfully obvious that to run plays against the remaining pieces from the bench doesn’t provide the needed challenge so the bad is set far too low on the results. Should Geno decide to stack the practice fodder with his male volunteers in order to provide a stiffer test then the true bench players are back on the bench watching.

Coaching elite teams filled with top-rated recruits requires finding great character recruits who have attributes that make them invaluable at practices and at games cheering from the bench knowing that their game playing minutes will be limited to times when the games are readily in hand. Their recruiting attributes might be driven by their size, their speed, their tenacity, and, perhaps most importantly, their attitude. This year’s bench has team members who might have been recruited to bring their best to practice and team bonding occasions with any actual memorable game moment bringing the house down in appreciation.

This year’s bench was predestined to be glued to the end of the bench and not on the practice floor until they couldn’t get it wrong. As for the starter’s’ performances of the past few weeks, it’s pretty obvious that they just don’t value the ball given their oft mind-numbing turnovers and there is nothing that Geno can do. Although he owns what they want which is playing time, he has no one to turn to for a meaningful replacement. Maybe practicing until the team finally gets it right has become the new coaching philosophy for the remainder of this snake-bitten season. Go Huskies!
How many seasons can you remember the end of the bench only getting in for 1 or 2 minutes of mop up. For 25 years, it has been like that. Nothing has changed with respect to that.

Reaction Score
I hate to be redundant but the reverse happened this year. The shooters were the ones absent, namely Paige, Azzi and CD mostly, and that allowed the other teams to double the low post since there was only one viable threat consistently up top in Lou, and the teams also quickly realized that the defensive holding rules in the NFL didn't apply this year to womens basketball so they just handcuffed her. If you had those shooters healthy and Ice also, which was the way it was supposed to be, the entire argument is moot.

Reaction Score
My historical eye test says different. And you know what they say about stats.
The issue here is not the shooting % which is high or the assists which are high but rather the turnovers which are high. We don't have a secondary playmaker/ ball handler and when bigs have to make passes and plays it's always a disaster plus we force passes like it's going out of style. The Coach says the kids don't listen and if they do they don't execute. That's obvious. There is no set play is not to throw the ball into a big who is double teamed.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
I'm surprised that we all haven't learned by now that Geno blames himself to take the pressure off the team. Typically this gets in their heads and they respond.

And calling out individuals on this team, well I find it despicable. You're blaming players for not being athletic enough?

Teams have different issues to work on. I'm sure it's been made clear. They now have to execute. And guess what!? Not every team can do it. It doesn't make them bad players and it doesn't mean they've had poor coaching.

You can bash me all you like for my take, but wow. I've said it before, if the players read the boneyard any confidence they have would be shot.
I like what you said, but, many other posters have the right idea; get the 10 biggest best players out of college and tell them never turn the ball over, never foul, and never miss a shot. I think we would have a winner. Seriously, GoUconn7961, I agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom