Coaching hot seats | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Coaching hot seats

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Interesting. I didn't know Joanne Boyle played at Duke. she had two nice runs at Richmond and California before cratering at Virginia. Honestly, Lindsey Gottlieb parlayed Joanne's talent at Cal into her Final Four run and then ruined that program. Coaching is a job that is invariable a job waiting to be fired. All of the old coaches listed were fired at one point but they did have success somewhere.

Joanne Boyle did have two good runs on separate coasts before coming back to the ACC at UVA. I thought that would work out better, given her coaching days in Richmond and playing days at Duke (where she averaged 13 ppg her senior year btw).

I don't know if she "cratered" per se at Charlottesville, as much as she got stuck in neutral, going 129-99 overall, with a 53-61 ACC record. Her last year the Wahoos made the NCAA and, if memory holds, they beat California in the opening round. The, of course, she retired to tend to the matter of ensuring her daughter could stay in the U.S.

That 17-18 team was led by one of her better recruiting classes that included Jocelyn Willoughby, Domique Toussaint and Lisa Jablonowski. Willoughby made the All-ACC team as a senior, but the team finished 13-17, the second straight losing season for Tina Thompson. There are some decent young guards but nothing that screams "we're making serious progress here." I wondered about the Thompson hire when it was made (no head coaching experience, primary contacts in Texas) and am still not sure about it. @uconnhusky and I have talked about the inroads UVA used to have on the I-95 corridor and that just seems to have been ceded to Maryland and others over the years.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Joanne Boyle did have two good runs on separate coasts before coming back to the ACC at UVA. I thought that would work out better, given her coaching days in Richmond and playing days at Duke (where she averaged 13 ppg her senior year btw).

I don't know if she "cratered" per se at Charlottesville, as much as she got stuck in neutral, going 129-99 overall, with a 53-61 ACC record. Her last year the Wahoos made the NCAA and, if memory holds, they beat California in the opening round. The, of course, she retired to tend to the matter of ensuring her daughter could stay in the U.S.

That 17-18 team was led by one of her better recruiting classes that included Jocelyn Willoughby, Domique Toussaint and Lisa Jablonowski. Willoughby made the All-ACC team as a senior, but the team finished 13-17, the second straight losing season for Tina Thompson. There are some decent young guards but nothing that screams "we're making serious progress here." I wondered about the Thompson hire when it was made (no head coaching experience, primary contacts in Texas) and am still not sure about it. @uconnhusky and I have talked about the inroads UVA used to have on the I-95 corridor and that just seems to have been ceded to Maryland and others over the years.
I was shocked she made the tournament her last year and yes, in my mind she "cratered". I had hear she was not asked back and she politely was given the option to "resign" or not seek a new contract. UVa paid her handsomely for a job poorly done.
That said, as we both noted, she did do well at both Cal and Richmond and could take some team in some other league over and do a decent job. Whether being a mother to an 8 year-old will allow that in terms of time, many others have done it so she should be able to.
BTW, in watching the Big East Semi-Final and Final games with Marquette and your girl Meg Duffy, she said she wanted to exhort a more BigTen style at Marquette...:eek:. Why? The BigTen is not known for it's robust offensive swag or deep tournament runs like say a school named ND from whence she came.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score

What I find interesting is the wording of 'Navy fires" as almost never is a coach "fired" without cause, mostly the contract expires and is not renewed. Is Navy really buying out her remaining years or are they in fact, not renewing the contract?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I was shocked she made the tournament her last year and yes, in my mind she "cratered". I had hear she was not asked back and she politely was given the option to "resign" or not seek a new contract. UVa paid her handsomely for a job poorly done.
That said, as we both noted, she did do well at both Cal and Richmond and could take some team in some other league over and do a decent job. Whether being a mother to an 8 year-old will allow that in terms of time, many others have done it so she should be able to.
BTW, in watching the Big East Semi-Final and Final games with Marquette and your girl Meg Duffy, she said she wanted to exhort a more BigTen style at Marquette...:eek:. Why? The BigTen is not known for it's robust offensive swag or deep tournament runs like say a school named ND from whence she came.

In regards to that "Big Ten" reference, a colleague or two from "The Bench" also brought it up and one thought it referred to a "B1G" type of player vs. Big Ten type of play. In either case, I get your point. Her Miami (of Ohio) team was predicated on pushing the ball up and all the players she inhertited at Marquette were recruited with going up and down the court, as well. Maybe she means getting an aircraft carrier* like Hallie Thome was for Michigan, who played there Duffy when was an assistant coach? (She just recruited a very tall center from Denmark?)

As for Boyle, "cratered" has a bit more explosive element to it, while I was thinking she just kinda ran out of gas and slid into the earth. :rolleyes: In any case, you'll see a few older posts of mine around here questioning whether it was time to find someone other than Ms. Boyle who could get the Hoo's off the ground again. So we're in agreement there. However, I'm really not certain WNBA legend Ms. Thompson has the appropriate pilot tools for this mission. I'll be watching her next season.

* Since Megan Duffy is at Marquette, I had to use Al McGuire's beloved term for a center. Maybe Jerome Whitehead has a granddaughter or niece? ;)

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Wow, and they actually bought out his last year (50% value) but still. 15-15 doesn't seem that bad but if you never have any "up" years and your career is 128-120, I guess you lose your job. I did have a minor chuckle as the headline says UND with a male name so I immediately knew it wasn't University of Notre Dame....:rolleyes:

So with the postseason cancelled, do we see announcements happen sooner?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom