Coaching Christmas Wishlist | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coaching Christmas Wishlist

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Bob Chesney, Holy Cross. A successful program builder at Salve Regina, then Assumption and has Holy Cross trending up. Has the head coaching experience - but can he do it at the FBS level.

I hate to say it, but that type of resume just won't do for a program looking to increase butts in the seats, even if he would be a great coach for us. A top-tier FCS coach with some buzz probably would though; at least enough for prospective recruits to quickly consider coming here...

Reaction Score
I'm a realist and convinced Edsall is staying, but to play the who else game (and based on your criteria as to status and money) I'd say Benedict should talk to John Harbaugh to get his assessment of current Ravens assistant O coach T.J. Weist. We've already seen his level of success here. The players loved playing for him and he was innovative (and decisive) on O. If he's grown in the job I'd take a shot on him.

Reaction Score
We need an experienced OC first.. and as for an FCS coach coming in....Crocker was a top defensive minded coach at Villanova before coming here and he bombed.. not so sure an FCS head coach is the answer. Edsall has another year to right this ship.. before he’s shipped out or sails away.

Reaction Score
I hate to say it, but that type of resume just won't do for a program looking to increase butts in the seats, even if he would be a great coach for us. A top-tier FCS coach with some buzz probably would though; at least enough for prospective recruits to quickly consider coming here...

no FCS coach is going to get people in the seats. Neither will Steve Adsazzio or FBS Coach. The lack of attendance is for a variety of reasons.

we need to get a coach who maximizes talent and can bring a modern offense to East Hartford. A hungry coach.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
no FCS coach is going to get people in the seats. Neither will Steve Adsazzio or FBS Coach. The lack of attendance is for a variety of reasons.

we need to get a coach who maximizes talent and can bring a modern offense to East Hartford. A hungry coach.

I was thinking more of the "North Dakota State coaches" variety; folks in the recent past like Bohl and Klieman. Folks who are battling for and winning championships at the lower level so that they have some name recognition building up.

By the way, their current coach (Matt Entz) is 11-0, I believe...

... just sayin'...

Reaction Score
I'm a realist and convinced Edsall is staying, but to play the who else game (and based on your criteria as to status and money) I'd say Benedict should talk to John Harbaugh to get his assessment of current Ravens assistant O coach T.J. Weist. We've already seen his level of success here. The players loved playing for him and he was innovative (and decisive) on O. If he's grown in the job I'd take a shot on him.
Cool Dude!

Reaction Score
I was thinking more of the "North Dakota State coaches" variety; folks in the recent past like Bohl and Klieman. Folks who are battling for and winning championships at the lower level so that they have some name recognition building up.

By the way, their current coach (Matt Entz) is 11-0, I believe...

... just sayin'...

I definitely hear you - I just think this program has been such a dumpster fire for so long the only thing to bring people back is winning. A name won’t do it.

that’s why it is imperative to find a coach who has the ability to get this program to see significant improvement despite its limitations. That’s no small task considering the administrations lack of support. We need a meticulous program manager who has a clear vision on how to do more with far less. And I am convinced that there are several coaches at the FCS level and lower who can do it. Question is, can this university find that person?

Reaction Score
I would be cautious about hiring the Yale coach. The Ivy League football culture is very different from FBS. He also may not want to come. He has got a cushy job at Yale. Why risk it by coming to UConn where if he doesn't turn program around in three to five years, he gets the axe? First person they need to talk to is Steve Addazio. Even if he doesn't take the job, his advice for Benedict would be very useful. I think Addazio would be interested, and if UConn can soon start with 6-6 seasons, he would be a successful coach.

Reaction Score
I'd call Paul Johnson. Three time ACC coach of the year he would give us instant credibility and he would probably do well in the transfer portal. I bet he would win 7 games against next years schedule. It would be a radical change but damn it we need a radical change!

I know he "retired" but to me it seemed like GTech retired him. The guy belongs in the Hall of Fame.

I think Paul Johnson was covered in the triple option thread. Evidently he’s too gimmicky for UConn.

Reaction Score
I would be cautious about hiring the Yale coach. The Ivy League football culture is very different from FBS. He also may not want to come. He has got a cushy job at Yale. Why risk it by coming to UConn where if he doesn't turn program around in three to five years, he gets the axe? First person they need to talk to is Steve Addazio. Even if he doesn't take the job, his advice for Benedict would be very useful. I think Addazio would be interested, and if UConn can soon start with 6-6 seasons, he would be a successful coach.
He’s a tad corrosive and not sure he’d be anymore successful than RE but he would be interested.

Reaction Score
Al Golden. He was already better than Randy when he was at Temple. Took the worst team in college football and made them into something more than respectable.

Reaction Score

This might be the only good idea you have ever presented here.

Reaction Score
TJ Weist is the guy with the motivation, energy and Intensity to deliver. Great OC background. Kids loved him and started producing. Begged for a shot and was screwed because we were too good for him. The mistakes this program makes are fascinating. Benedict should be on his knees begging for him to come fix this pile of crap.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I like Butch Jones....he succeeded in a G5 environment in the past. I think he got screwed at Tennessee. Offenses at Cincy were good. Golden would be worth looking at.
I wasn't sure Jones would drop down to G5....I guess he will.

Reaction Score
TJ Weist is the guy with the motivation, energy and Intensity to deliver. Great OC background. Kids loved him and started producing. Begged for a shot and was screwed because we were too good for him. The mistakes this program makes are fascinating. Benedict should be on his knees begging for him to come fix this pile of crap.

not this old chestnut again.

Weist hasn’t gotten a HC offer at FBS or FCS levels. He’s not qualified. He doesn’t even get interviewed. He was an interim HC & performed well for awhile at UCONN. I bet we could make you an Adjunct Professor in Pharmacy for a lunchtime seminar.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Maybe even more importantly, he most likely has the respect NEEDED from his peers to be able to assemble a very good staff around him even with the minimal funds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom