Coaching Christmas Wishlist | The Boneyard

Coaching Christmas Wishlist

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It's clear to me that the tides have turned for the majority of the fanbase, so why not start a coaching wishlist thread?

I don't have a specific one in mind, but I'm thinking that the criteria should include someone who has some familiarity with northeast recruiting and a willingness to coach an independent team. We're not getting Urban Meyer or Nick Saban, so let's try to keep it realistic to our finances and situation.

Some names I'm thinking about are former assistants here (Weist, Dunn, Lashlee if he'd come back, etc.) as well as folks who have done relatively well in the northeast at other places (Golden - DB coach at the lions now, etc.).

What do folks think?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Briles. Can get him for 1/2 a mil

I should have started off by saying no Briles / Petrino statements, which we all know won't ever happen...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
More than a name I want a personality type.

I don't want someone tied down by traditional coaching trees or the northeast.

UConn is about to go national with its schedule and travel.

I want someone who can embrace the uncertainty and the lack of identity and create a brand.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
More than a name I want a personality type.

I don't want someone tied down by traditional coaching trees or the northeast.

UConn is about to go national with its schedule and travel.

I want someone who can embrace the uncertainty and the lack of identity and create a brand.

That all sounds nice, but that happens at 3 million. And we aren't spending 3 million.

So at the current level of investment, that person had better be able to at least competently recruit the northeast and ideally have a niche in a football-heavy state like Florida, Texas, etc...

Reaction Score
I'd call Paul Johnson. Three time ACC coach of the year he would give us instant credibility and he would probably do well in the transfer portal. I bet he would win 7 games against next years schedule. It would be a radical change but damn it we need a radical change!

I know he "retired" but to me it seemed like GTech retired him. The guy belongs in the Hall of Fame.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
None of those people would return our call. And as of today, a majority of the fanbase is about 600 people.

Reaction Score
I don’t think many on here understand the total lack of support of the football program by the administration. We aren’t getting big name or even somewhat successful division 1 retreads and definitely not going to get coaches that left their programs in controversy.

Think FCS. And that is not a completely bad thing. Issue is do we have any faith that the people making hiring decisions will be able to find the Chip Kelly, Paul Johnson, and Dino Babers at FCS or lower schools?

Reaction Score
Christmas Wish list...a fanbase that doesn't quit when our teams lose. Yes, it seems we don't support teams that aren't winning. From the Whalers to UConn FB, we don't support losing teams. Even WBB fanbase is not as many as before.

Maybe if our fans support the teams, maybe we might get better players. I mean, if a 4 star players visit UConn and see the Rent with 10,000 people in it, they will not sign here. We do have a catch 22 situation.

Reaction Score
Are there any moderately successful high school coaches locally? That's about all we can afford and who would be willing to take a job with as little chance of success after sacking our last 3 coaches after 3 years, all of which led to career ruin.

I'm hopeful that this will work out.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I would like an offensive coordinator to have free rein and leave it at that.

I would have said Moorhead if he was fired from Miss St. They, the fans don't like him and I think he is a Northeastern coach anyway and would do well up here. That would be my wish.

No to any high school coach locally as they all have a much bigger opinion of themselves than they truly are.

Reaction Score
I would like an offensive coordinator to have free rein and leave it at that.

I would have said Moorhead if he was fired from Miss St. They, the fans don't like him and I think he is a Northeastern coach anyway and would do well up here. That would be my wish.

No to any high school coach locally as they all have a much bigger opinion of themselves than they truly are.

have you seen our assistant coach salary pool?

Reaction Score
Bob Chesney, Holy Cross. A successful program builder at Salve Regina, then Assumption and has Holy Cross trending up. Has the head coaching experience - but can he do it at the FBS level.

Reaction Score
Bob Chesney, Holy Cross. A successful program builder at Salve Regina, then Assumption and has Holy Cross trending up. Has the head coaching experience - but can he do it at the FBS level.

now we are talking. Young fcs coach, local, hungry.

Reaction Score

Good choice for when Randy goes after the 2021 season (or maybe 2020). Won the Patriot League this year and the next few years should be even better. Hope he's still there when he's needed.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Yes him or the Yale Coach

Reaction Score
Yes him or the Yale Coach

Good call on the Yale coach. I'm surprised he hasn't moved up the ladder yet. I love the offense he runs and he seems to be a QB guru. For all of our troubles we do have real talent at the offensive skill positions. This guy would light up the scoreboard with that talent.

Yale scored over 40 points 7 times this year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99