Coaching change coming @ UMass | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coaching change coming @ UMass

Reaction Score
Archie Miller if they can get him. If not, go for Skerry.

Reaction Score
UMASS would not be a bad job for Kimani. Y’all have to remember he has no HC experience. First time HC in the A10 is a great start.

I agree 100%. I don't understand this "Kimani could do better" talk. Based on what exactly can he do better? Hurley had to turn around Wagner before he landed an A10 job. The A10 is a good league and UMASS has as much potential as any team in that league.

More than likely Kimani doesn't have the resume for the job as they will probably want someone who has proven themselves as a head coach. If he did get offered the job he should jump at it.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I agree 100%. I don't understand this "Kimani could do better" talk. Based on what exactly can he do better? Hurley had to turn around Wagner before he landed an A10 job. The A10 is a good league and UMASS has as much potential as any team in that league.

More than likely Kimani doesn't have the resume for the job as they will probably want someone who has proven themselves as a head coach. If he did get offered the job he should jump at it.
People who think he’s getting a P5 job off the bat surprise me. P5 schools have the recourses to take on less risk, even if Kimani could be a home run.

Reaction Score
Becker is in some hot water at Vermont involving MBB players accused of sexual assault. Don't think UMass touches him.
Live in VT, go to some games, read the paper every day and I have no idea what you are talking about. Please tell what this is.

Reaction Score
Live in VT, go to some games, read the paper every day and I have no idea what you are talking about. Please tell what this is.
This isn’t a snarky reply, but I typed “Vermont basketball sexual assault” into google and got articles about student protests last year and last month.

Reaction Score
Not snarky at all. I remember the allegation that was dismissed a couple of years ago but was not aware of the recent allegation. As I said I read the news but it is rare that I watch the news. Just because Becker does not comment on what might be an active case does not mean he is in hot water.

Reaction Score
Honestly, this strikes me as more of a step-down job than a step-up job.

Someone who just got fired from a P5 spot, UMass looking to make a splashy "name" hire.

This would be an awful spot for Kimani Young. He's not ready for a power conference, but there's gotta be a sexier mid-major job out there.
UMass might need a splashy, proven coach or a hot shot up and comer. I don't know if there are too man "sexy mid-majors." UMass is the 3rd largest university in the A-10 and one of only two flagships. It needs to do better.

Reaction Score
Not snarky at all. I remember the allegation that was dismissed a couple of years ago but was not aware of the recent allegation. As I said I read the news but it is rare that I watch the news. Just because Becker does not comment on what might be an active case does not mean he is in hot water.
This. Becker is in hot water about nothing. There have been allegations thrown around the UVM campus about unnamed and unattributed acts of assault by an Instagram profile whose creators won’t actually provide details. Yes, there have been rallies. Yes, there has been talk of assaults taking place on campus. But saying Becker is in hot water is just not accurate. At all.

Reaction Score
This. Becker is in hot water about nothing. There have been allegations thrown around the UVM campus about unnamed and unattributed acts of assault by an Instagram profile whose creators won’t actually provide details. Yes, there have been rallies. Yes, there has been talk of assaults taking place on campus. But saying Becker is in hot water is just not accurate. At all.
You can't possibly be serious. Do you really need victim's names and specific details of what happened to take a sexual assault claim seriously?

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Anyone remember the early-mid 90s when the A-10 passed the Big East? UMass, Temple, I think GW were all really good, and the Big East went through some serious down years.
Long time ago.

Reaction Score
There are coaches who have won at UMass. But I think they have only made the NCAA once this century. As I posted, I think Kimani can do better.
Only one I can remember is Calipari, and that was like 30 years ago.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The A-10 claimed they had passed the Big East back then but that does not mean that they really had. In the (alleged) down years of the Big East in the early 1990's the conference was still better overall, especially at the middle and bottom. The one thing they could claim was one year the A-10 had three schools (UMass, Temple and GW) make the sweet 16. We did that countless times before and after.

Reaction Score
Weeks and Fernandes would be of some interest to me this summer if they transfer depending on how our scholarship situation shakes out with Cole/Martin/transfers.

Reaction Score
You can't possibly be serious. Do you really need victim's names and specific details of what happened to take a sexual assault claim seriously?
You’re really something else, the board’s holier than thou guy. How dare you put words in my mouth and imply that I said that. I said Becker wasn’t in hot water. I didn’t say any allegations weren’t serious.

Reaction Score
They must miss Mitchell...not really as he will be entering the portal again as his father trashes Beard via social media and his kid is taking online classes in Minnesota I think it is after leaving the team. lol

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Only one I can remember is Calipari, and that was like 30 years ago.
Did he coach there? I thought the NCAA purged that from our collective memories.

Reaction Score
Marcus Camby

UMass is an awesome coaching job with a ton of upside. The A-10 is a fun regional basketball conference, great rivalries, and a chance for a quality guy to make UMass overshadow the clowns in chestnut hill. Also a good stepping stone for someone with higher aspirations. UMass should rise to dominate the A-10.
Didn't he cause UMess to vacate a Final Four appearance because he was accepting jewelry and other gifts from agents?

TJT

Reaction Score
But have any of them won honestly? Ok, maybe Jack Leamon

UMass Coaches since 1975
Jack Leaman 1966-79 | Record 217-126
Ray Wilson 1979-81 | Record 5-48
Tom McLaughlin 1981-83 | Record 16-40
Ron Gerlufsen 1983-88 | Record 55-84
John Calipari 1988-96 | Record 189-70
Bruiser Flint 1996-01 | Record 86-72
Steve Lappas 2001-05 | Record 50-65
Travis Ford 2005-08 | Record 62-35
Derek Kellogg 2008-17 | Record 155-137
Matt McCall 2017-2022 | Record 58-81

Only two UMass coaches in some 50 years have ever left Amherst for better jobs - Calipari (NBA NJ Nets) and Ford (Okl St). Leaman had success but retired. Most all the others were fired or resigned before being terminated. Calipari is the only coach to have ever won in the NCAA Tournament at UMass.

Reaction Score
Anyone remember the early-mid 90s when the A-10 passed the Big East? UMass, Temple, I think GW were all really good, and the Big East went through some serious down years.
Long time ago.
A10 didn't pass the Big East in the early to mid 90s.

From 1990 to 1996:

Top 10 Coaches Poll finishes: BE: 9, A10: 2

Top 25 Coaches Poll finishes: BE: 23, A10: 9

Different schools ranked: BE: 7, A10: 4

A10 had one year, 1993, where they had more teams ranked than the Big East, 3-1, but the Big East school was higher ranked the the 3 A10 schools.

Reaction Score
Didn't he cause UMess to vacate a Final Four appearance because he was accepting jewelry and other gifts from agents?
Yes, and the last time I went to a game there (maybe 15 years ago) they were still displaying the Final Four banner even though their appearance had been vacated.
They needed some validation about being right up there with UConn as far as basketball success. I used to hear about "the Cage" and Julius Erving and then Marcus Camby from fans I knew and they, as a fan base, had much more hatred (real) for UConn than anything I've read here about UConn fans and another school.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
A10 didn't pass the Big East in the early to mid 90s.

From 1990 to 1996:

Top 10 Coaches Poll finishes: BE: 9, A10: 2

Top 25 Coaches Poll finishes: BE: 23, A10: 9

Different schools ranked: BE: 7, A10: 4

A10 had one year, 1993, where they had more teams ranked than the Big East, 3-1, but the Big East school was higher ranked the the 3 A10 schools.
It was a dry spell for the Big East though. No Final Four teams in the 90s before Syracuse 96.

I brought it up just because the A-10 has barely been relevant for 20 years.

Reaction Score
Long time ago.
Maybe I’m misreading these listings, but most of those years the A-10 only had UMass ranked in the top 25; they had a second team in 2 or 3 years. The Big East generally had at least 3 teams in the final rankings. So, to answer your question, no, I don’t remember that.

Reaction Score
Saw a rumor they're going after Pitino.

They should. The Big East is considering adding another school, if ever there was a time for UMASS to put their best foot forward and invest in basketball it is now.

Pitino is a UMASS alum BTW. Class of 74.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom