Coaching Carousel 2018 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Coaching Carousel 2018

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I may be completely wrong, but I imagine Lubbock is to Texas kinda like what Pullman is to Washington: nowhere near anything else, and a hard place to recruit to. Also very much looked down upon by other in state schools from more urban, cosmopolitan areas.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I may be completely wrong, but I imagine Lubbock is to Texas kinda like what Pullman is to Washington: nowhere near anything else, and a hard place to recruit to. Also very much looked down upon by other in state schools from more urban, cosmopolitan areas.

Yeah... like College Station and Waco ;):cool::confused::D:D:D:D

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Lubbock has more going on than Pullman (never been to either) but its so so far away. I dont have a map in front of me.... but Its probably closer to Denver than it is to Houston

Reaction Score
Lubbock has more going on than Pullman (never been to either) but its so so far away. I dont have a map in front of me.... but Its probably closer to Denver than it is to Houston

At least Pullman has Moscow a quick drive over the border..... another big college community....

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
At least Pullman has Moscow a quick drive over the border..... another big college community....

Yeah... I forgot about that. Giving the choice personally... I'd rather live/go to school in Pullman.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Lubbock seemed very nice, my wife and I stayed there one night. However, we evacuated quickly the next day due to anticipated inclement weather.

I don't remember where we were going or where we were coming from, and due to the weather we didn't get to see the campus, which we try to do when we are in college towns, but they had some notable restaurants and museums (that we didn't get to visit).

My wife and I felt like - if it was easier to get to - we would go back. As it is, I don't know that we ever will.

Never been to Pullman, but no interest in going either.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Never been to Pullman, but no interest in going either.

Unless you are going to school there or have a kid going to school there, I can't think of any reason why anyone would want to visit Pullman. I passed thru one time toward the end of a road trip. Made a fairly lengthy detour to check out Palouse Falls, then Pullman was along a reasonable route to get back to a major road.

Reaction Score
Looks like the ACC is house cleaning. Jobs available within P5 conferences. Boston College, Clemson, Pittsburgh and Virginia (ACC), Texas Tech (BIG12) and Washington St (PAC12)

List of current NCAA Division I women's basketball coaches - Wikipedia

upload_2018-4-6_7-16-1.png

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Marlene Stollings from Minn considered frontrunner at Texas Tech.
Is that really a step up for her?

I suppose Tech has the somewhat stronger tradition, with a national championship plus many years of being a contender. But that's a pretty distant past and it sounds pretty lateral to me.

The only other thing I can think of is that Lubbock is in more fertile recruiting ground than Minnesota.

Stollings is from the Midwest (an Ohio U. grad), but has gone here, there and everywhere during her coaching career (as many before her).
Marlene Stollings Bio :: University of Minnesota :: Official Athletic Site

Interesting, she succeeded ND's Beth Morgan Cunningham at VCU and was hired at Minnesota by Norwood Teague, the former VCU athletic director who preceded her to U of Minn. Teague, you may remember, resigned under pressure in relation to multiple sexual harassment charges.

Stollings has done a good job getting Minnesota back into the conversation. She'll lose the marvelous shooting guard, Carlie Wagner, but the roster is not bare by any means.

Maybe Texas Tech -- who, by all reports, have been through a number of candidates -- is upping the pot. If memory holds correctly, your money can go pretty far in the Lone Star state with the low taxes.

Personally, Minneapolis/St. Paul. Lubbock. :rolleyes: And, btw, there's some decent hoops talent in Minnesota-Wisconsin. You may have heard of Paige Bueckers (Minnesota) and Arike Ogunbowale (Milwaukee). ;)
(Not that Paige is staying put or headed to Texas.....)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
For some reason I thought you lived in Texas.
Oops sorry that was supposed to say "I don't *mean* Lubbock per se" ...

I do live in Texas :)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Stollings is from the Midwest (an Ohio U. grad), but has gone here, there and everywhere during her coaching career (as many before her).
Marlene Stollings Bio :: University of Minnesota :: Official Athletic Site

Interesting, she succeeded ND's Beth Morgan Cunningham at VCU and was hired at Minnesota by Norwood Teague, the former VCU athletic director who preceded her to U of Minn. Teague, you may remember, resigned under pressure in relation to multiple sexual harassment charges.

Stollings has done a good job getting Minnesota back into the conversation. She'll lose the marvelous shooting guard, Carlie Wagner, but the roster is not bare by any means.

Maybe Texas Tech -- who, by all reports, have been through a number of candidates -- is upping the pot. If memory holds correctly, your money can go pretty far in the Lone Star state with the low taxes.

Personally, Minneapolis/St. Paul. Lubbock. :rolleyes: And, btw, there's some decent hoops talent in Minnesota-Wisconsin. You may have heard of Paige Bueckers (Minnesota) and Arike Ogunbowale (Milwaukee). ;)
(Not that Paige is staying put or headed to Texas.....)
I think the state of Texas outstrips Minnesota/Wisconsin for blue-chip high school talent. But that's just my impression.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I think the state of Texas outstrips Minnesota/Wisconsin for blue-chip high school talent. But that's just my impression.

And your impression is probably right. I was trying to point out that the area is not devoid of kids that play hoops. Of course, I forgot to put in that Texas and California could probably populate Olympic hoops teams of their own, thank you very much.

On the other hand, there's a lot of D1 schools competing for that talent in Texas, so you get into who is going to get those players? Texas Tech is obviously in for an uphill climb (otherwise they wouldn't be in the market).

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Marlene Stollings Leaves Minnesota for Texas Tech

Pretty thorough article by the StarTribune on Stolling's four-year tenure in Minneapolis, from what she accomplished, how her roster looks now and what her recruiting record was (good with transfers, not so good in Minnesota)

Some speculation on Lindsey Whelan and what she could bring to the position (fannies in seats, possible magnet for recruiting local products, such as one Paige Bueckers)

According to the article, "Other possible names to watch include South Dakota State coach Aaron Johnston, Notre Dame assistant coach Niele Ivey and Gophers assistant Nikki Lowry-Dawkins."

The Ivey mention is interesting. Ivey is on record, as is Carol Owens, as saying in the Graham Hays ESPN article on female assistant coaches in the Final Four, that she would be interested in the right position. Those in the ACC pose a dilemma for Ivey. Taking one is fine (if she gets it) because it's a step up to the HC position and no one gets in the way of that. But remember Ivey is viewed widely as heir apparent to McGraw once she hangs it up. But leaving an intra-conference rival to take the same position in the ACC is frowned upon.
But Minnesota is in the B1G. If Niele or, say, Beth Morgan Cunningham, were to take a position there, they could be considered for the ND job down the road

Interesting to keep track of for a variety of reasons, these jobs!

Marlene Stollings leaving Gophers basketball for Texas Tech job

Reaction Score
Stollings is loyal to no program. I honestly think this is a bad hire especially when it comes to recruiting.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
BC chooses Albany Head Coach. She had been there TWO years, and had players recruited by her very successful predecessor!

She may be good, and she certainly didn't squander the talent she had, but I would be concerned about her short track record.

Joanna Bernabei-McNamee Named Women’s Basketball Head Coach - Boston College
In her two year stint at Albany she missed the tournament one year. Believe that was the first time in about 4 years that Albany did not make the tournament.

Reaction Score
In her two year stint at Albany she missed the tournament one year. Believe that was the first time in about 4 years that Albany did not make the tournament.
#2 seed, but upset loss to UHart in conf semis 58-56, ending 6 yr run as champ.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
#2 seed, but upset loss to UHart in conf semis 58-56, ending 6 yr run as champ.
I knew it was a long time my Daughter played in that conference for 4 of that six year Albany run.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

First time in 6 years that the Great Danes didn't make the NCAA, but they did finish 24-8 and were in the NIT.

Vowelguy pointed out that she primarily was playing with the players that had come in with the previous coach. But it seems like a lot of the reason for hiring her had to do with her recruiting at previous gigs at Maryland and West Virginia.

"She served as assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at Maryland for four years from 2003-07, and was an integral part of the Terrapins' 2006 National Championship season. Maryland beat Duke 78-75 in overtime for the title at TD Garden in Boston and finished with a record of 34-4. During her tenure, she brought in four straight nationally ranked recruiting classes, including three in the Top 10.

"McNamee spent two years at West Virginia as an assistant coach where she was a scout, position coach and recruiting coordinator.

So, she worked for Brenda Freese and with Jeff Walz at Maryland and for Mike Carey in Morgantown.

On a side note, this is the second straight hyphenated head coach Albany has lost:
Central Florida's Katie Abrahamson-Henderson and now Joanna Bernabei-McNamee. Hmm.....

Reaction Score
On a side note, this is the second straight hyphenated head coach Albany has lost:
Central Florida's Katie Abrahamson-Henderson and now Joanna Bernabei-McNamee. Hmm.....

Keshia Knight-Pulliam immediately becomes a front runner!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
BC chooses Albany Head Coach. She had been there TWO years, and had players recruited by her very successful predecessor!

She may be good, and she certainly didn't squander the talent she had, but I would be concerned about her short track record.

Joanna Bernabei-McNamee Named Women’s Basketball Head Coach - Boston College
I just saw this on Raoul's Twitter and thought EXACTLY the same thing. I find it odd that Katie Abrahamson-Henderson who did the bulk of the work at Albany got UCF but his women gets BC? I know BC has Athletic Department issues and no commitment to the bulk of their non-hockey sports but still an ACC gig vs. American. Plus it wasn't like the cupboard was bare when she took over. Odd, very odd...

On an unrelated comment, 2 LSU transfers announced today. I wonder when LSU pulls or doesn't renew Nikki Caldwell Fargas' contract. I know she had a good year this year but it's been a long time coming and I am not sure she can sustain regular trips to the NCAA that her contract amount warrants.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The Ivey mention is interesting. Ivey is on record, as is Carol Owens, as saying in the Graham Hays ESPN article on female assistant coaches in the Final Four, that she would be interested in the right position. Those in the ACC pose a dilemma for Ivey. Taking one is fine (if she gets it) because it's a step up to the HC position and no one gets in the way of that. But remember Ivey is viewed widely as heir apparent to McGraw once she hangs it up. But leaving an intra-conference rival to take the same position in the ACC is frowned upon.... If Niele or, say, Beth Morgan Cunningham, were to take a position there, they could be considered for the ND job down the road

I have heard my emboldened section stated before and I am confused by this. Geno has Tonya Cardoza and had Jamelle Elliott for a lot of years in his conferences. Why would or is Muffet so pointed about not wanting assistants in the conference that she's in? Is she that competitive that she has to dislike her opponents to coach against them? I have seen so many coaches promote and push for assistants to get the head jobs of teams in their own conferences that this logic completely escapes me. Do you have any perspective? Thanks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom