Coaching Carousel 2018 | The Boneyard

Coaching Carousel 2018

Reaction Score
  • BC
  • Ole Miss
  • Texas Tech has an interim coach.

Gotta wonder about
  • Clemson - 1-15 in ACC (11-19) in Audra Smith's 5th season
  • Pitt - 2-14 in ACC (10-20) in Suzie McConnell-Serio's 5th season. Though she likely has enough name recognition to last a little while longer.
  • UNC - Hatchell

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Clemson is awful. Has been awful. Does anyone care?

I don't know what happened to Suzie McConnell-Serio - she had great success at Duquesne. And name recognition as you say.

Among the hot seat coaches are Boyle in Virginia, McKeown at Northwestern, I'd like to say Alabama and Auburn but probably not yet, and Washington State. They all could make it, but they all have issues.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I don't understand how things unraveled at Clemson but they have been down for a long time now. In the mid 90s through early 2000s, Clemson was a regular feature in the top 25 and in the upper half of the ACC standings. Then, Jim Davis stopped getting recruits good enough to keep the team competitive. There has been a series of coaches there (Christy McKinney, an NC State alum, Itoro Umoh, now Audra Smith) and few, if any, winning records in the last 10-12 years.

As for June Daughety at Washington State, they had a slew of injuries this season. A lot of people diss on her...but I like her and hope she'll get it going.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Good Saturday Morning.
Will build onto these posts. As we've seen, so many of these "will the administration make a move or not?" is based on how much money they need to pay out. Given the non-revenue (loss?) in most cases, a lot of ADs wait unto the last possible time (or just before, like BC) to make a move. How long is the contract? And, perhaps, is the uncertainty/performance hurting recruiting? As such:

- Clemson.
Somehow, folks saw a climb to just above .500 as progress enough to extend Smith in 2017.
Clemson women's basketball coach gets contract extension

Maybe they felt that this progress, plus a revamping of the basketball facilities, would be a springboard. Clemson had a season-ender to their leading scorer and a transfer of their outside shooter. And they slid backwards...horribly. So, will she get one more year to pull it together? Her 2018 recruits include someone from Utah and a post.

- Pittsburgh

You're right: The McConnells are basketball royalty in western Pa. and Suzie MConnell-Serio did great at Duquesne and an initial bravura job at Pitt, resulting in a long contract extension.
Suzie McConnell-Serio signs new agreement at Pitt through 2020-21 season - University of Pittsburgh

But since then, the wheels dropped off. The best recruit in her tenure left after two seasons (Brenna Wise) for Indiana and I wonder if her leaving is indicative of what is happening at Pitt. Everything looks half-baked. Got a strange recruiting class coming in...mostly PGs.

-
UVA.

Have had multiple posts on this. Boyle's contract is finally up and her recruiting shows it -- sparse. Her current team has good athletes but are just limited offensively. Will they or won't they make the NCAA? Not sure it should make a difference at this point. UVA should be doing better and they're kind of at a tipping point.

- North Carolina
Sylvia Hatchell is signed through the 2019-20 season, having signed an extension a bit ago with other long-time UNC coaches (women's lacrosse, soccer).
Sylvia Hatchell among UNC coaches receiving new contracts

She's also had injuries to deal with, not to mention a bunch of transfers. Who knows how much of this was tied up in the "UNC" imbroglio, but I also suspect we're running into the tail end of a career. Not a super recruiting year....and she's always got to deal with Duke, an excellent coach in Wes Moore at NC State. And Wake Forest is even showing signs. Lastly, Kenny Brooks is recruiting North Carolina hard for Va. Tech. At some point, expect to see some change...but not this year.

For the recruiting angle, here's a look at ND's home page in the 2018 Hoopgurlz class recruiting rankings, but you can click on each of the schools we mentioned to see how they're doing....Clemson, Pitt, UVA and UNC. (Go to the bar graph on the page which shows how many recruits each school has in 2018 and click on it to see the thumbnails on each recruit.) Even BC, who ironically, had their most bountiful haul in years. But Erik Johnson won't be the coach to guide them.

Women's Basketball

Stay tuned.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Good Saturday Morning.
Will build onto these posts. As we've seen, so many of these "will the administration make a move or not?" is based on how much money they need to pay out. Given the non-revenue (loss?) in most cases, a lot of ADs wait unto the last possible time (or just before, like BC) to make a move. How long is the contract? And, perhaps, is the uncertainty/performance hurting recruiting? As such:

- Clemson.
Somehow, folks saw a climb to just above .500 as progress enough to extend Smith in 2017.
Clemson women's basketball coach gets contract extension

Maybe they felt that this progress, plus a revamping of the basketball facilities, would be a springboard. Clemson had a season-ender to their leading scorer and a transfer of their outside shooter. And they slid backwards...horribly. So, will she get one more year to pull it together? Her 2018 recruits include someone from Utah and a post.

- Pittsburgh

You're right: The McConnells are basketball royalty in western Pa. and Suzie MConnell-Serio did great at Duquesne and an initial bravura job at Pitt, resulting in a long contract extension.
Suzie McConnell-Serio signs new agreement at Pitt through 2020-21 season - University of Pittsburgh

But since then, the wheels dropped off. The best recruit in her tenure left after two seasons (Brenna Wise) for Indiana and I wonder if her leaving is indicative of what is happening at Pitt. Everything looks half-baked. Got a strange recruiting class coming in...mostly PGs.

-
UVA.

Have had multiple posts on this. Boyle's contract is finally up and her recruiting shows it -- sparse. Her current team has good athletes but are just limited offensively. Will they or won't they make the NCAA? Not sure it should make a difference at this point. UVA should be doing better and they're kind of at a tipping point.

- North Carolina
Sylvia Hatchell is signed through the 2019-20 season, having signed an extension a bit ago with other long-time UNC coaches (women's lacrosse, soccer).
Sylvia Hatchell among UNC coaches receiving new contracts

She's also had injuries to deal with, not to mention a bunch of transfers. Who knows how much of this was tied up in the "UNC" imbroglio, but I also suspect we're running into the tail end of a career. Not a super recruiting year....and she's always got to deal with Duke, an excellent coach in Wes Moore at NC State. And Wake Forest is even showing signs. Lastly, Kenny Brooks is recruiting North Carolina hard for Va. Tech. At some point, expect to see some change...but not this year.

For the recruiting angle, here's a look at ND's home page in the 2018 Hoopgurlz class recruiting rankings, but you can click on each of the schools we mentioned to see how they're doing....Clemson, Pitt, UVA and UNC. Even BC, who ironically, had their most bountiful haul in years. But Erik Johnson won't be the coach to guide them.

Women's Basketball

Stay tuned.

As far as I can see, only the top 20 recruiting classes are reported?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
As far as I can see, only the top 20 recruiting classes are reported?

Scroll down on the screen and you'll see a listing of all the ACC team members. There should be a bar graph showing how many recruits each team has (ND has 4, BC has 6 for example). Click on that and it will then link to each school's recruits. If you want to then check another team, hit the return arrow to get back to the bar graph. That help?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Scroll down on the screen and you'll see a listing of all the ACC team members. There should be a bar graph showing how many recruits each team has (ND has 4, BC has 6 for example). Click on that and it will then link to each school's recruits. If you want to then check another team, hit the return arrow to get back to the bar graph. That help?
Thanks. Got it.:)

Reaction Score
Another factor in the UVA situation is that they have a new athletic director who played college bb at Georgia. No ties to Boyle...she’s gone - I hope!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Katy Steding (former Stanford player) out at BU
Boston University to Make Women's Basketball Coaching Change - Boston University

June Daugherty out at Washington St
Washington State announces women’s basketball coach June Daugherty won’t return in 2018-19

Daugherty marks the 3rd P5 coach to get fired
This felt like a make-or-break season for Daugherty. It's probably the first time in her tenure that her team had strong expectations of making the NCAAs (after their deep run in the WNIT last year), and their season by any measure was a major disappointment. It would have been hard to justify keeping her around.

Still, though, it seems kinda cold to "release" her while she's on medical leave.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This felt like a make-or-break season for Daugherty. It's probably the first time in her tenure that her team had strong expectations of making the NCAAs (after their deep run in the WNIT last year), and their season by any measure was a major disappointment. It would have been hard to justify keeping her around.

Still, though, it seems kinda cold to "release" her while she's on medical leave.
Considering all the turmoil, poor record over a number of years and the expectations for this year, I think it’s somewhat expected. What I found odd was “the amendment to her contract thru 2022” that was done last year. Why did they extend it out by 5 years given the capricious nature of coaching and her lack of success. Odd that now tax payers pony up due to some overzealous AD. I wonder what our Northwest Hoop insider has to say. Eh @nwhoopfan ?

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Another factor in the UVA situation is that they have a new athletic director who played college bb at Georgia. No ties to Boyle...she’s gone - I hope!
How sweet revenge would it be for Cal to win that game?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Considering all the turmoil, poor record over a number of years and the expectations for this year, I think it’s somewhat expected. What I found odd was “the amendment to her contract thru 2022” that was done last year. Why did they extend it out by 5 years given the capricious nature of coaching and her lack of success. Odd that now tax payers pony up due to some overzealous AD. I wonder what our Northwest Hoop insider has to say. Eh @nwhoopfan ?

Yeah, a bit weird. Maybe she got the extension because last year she exceeded expectations after her 3 best players went down with injury. The fact they were quite a bit worse this year with those 3 players back healthy is inexplicable. I've stated repeatedly, I've never been impressed with her coaching at either UW or WSU. I believe 11 years at each school. Not a bad gig, 22 years coaching without consistently demonstrating that she was very good at it.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
How sweet revenge would it be for Cal to win that game?

UVa did much better when they raided the Pac 12 to get Tony Bennett from Wazzu than they did w/ Boyle. Can't win 'em all.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Interesting focus of attention by South Carolina press immediately following the UVA-S.Carolina game: Will Joanne Boyle stay or will she go at UVA? And if she does, will alum Dawn Staley be attempted to "go home" to Charlottesville?

- Article's writer was astute enough to pick up that UVA won's its first-round game against a Cal team that lost it's best player/leading scorer. Otherwise, their tourney might've been one-and-done.
- Staley has done a great job with S. Carolina, but the meal ticket is checking out after this season.
- New AD wants to make a big splash. None bigger than getting the program's most famous alum back as HC.
Staley could probably stay at S. Carolina for quite some time, but she likes challenges.
- Speaking of those, is the timing right to go start over, considering she's doing exactly that with the National Team?
How much does one want on a plate?

My gut: Boyle goes. Dawn stays at S. Carolina, New AD still looks for a big splash..and has serious talks with Geno about...Shea Ralph. Shea has a decent base of players to work with, while she establishes and extends her base from Charlottesville.

South Carolina sends Virginia home; might Cavs come back for Dawn Staley?

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Interesting focus of attention by South Carolina press immediately following the UVA-S.Carolina game: Will Joanne Boyle stay or will she go at UVA? And if she does, will alum Dawn Staley be attempted to "go home" to Charlottesville?

- Article's writer was astute enough to pick up that UVA won's its first-round game against a Cal team that lost it's best player/leading scorer. Otherwise, their tourney might've been one-and-done.
- Staley has done a great job with S. Carolina, but the meal ticket is checking out after this season.
- New AD wants to make a big splash. None bigger than getting the program's most famous alum back as HC.
Staley could probably stay at S. Carolina for quite some time, but she likes challenges.
- Speaking of those, is the timing right to go start over, considering she's doing exactly that with the National Team?
How much does one want on a plate?

My gut: Boyle goes. Dawn stays at S. Carolina, New AD still looks for a big splash..and has serious talks with Geno about...Shea Ralph. Shea has a decent base of players to work with, while she establishes and extends her base from Charlottesville.

South Carolina sends Virginia home; might Cavs come back for Dawn Staley?
We've chatted about this a few times and yes, she has completely underwhelmed and in another thread I point out that of the 23 sports Virginia fields, WCBB is ranked 21st with only football and softball below them, which is quite damning for such a storied program. With a basketball AD who knows this:
1. Boyle beat an underachieving Cal team without it's top player K Anigwe
2. The recruiting has been mediocre at best and this year's coming in class is not good.
3. Boyle's style of play is not pleasing an is turning fans off.
4. Boyle gets a lot of money and has done very little as we all have noted in 7 years, this was her 1st NCAA appearance. Debbie Ryan in her last 7 years, which saw the program continue to slide down still qualified for 4 NCAA's.
5. The quotes in the article are fairly poignant in the respect the AD states about not wanting to discuss the issue now. I also don't buy that Virginia has oodles of cash to pay Staley and I also think what Dawn has built at SC is pretty special and she will not be leaving there. She has enough on her plate to rebuild after A'ja and an Olympic Program to lead, so adding in new surrounding, new AD team, building another fan base, reselling recruits on UVa basketball is a pretty daunting task.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
For good sport, I present this article from John Adams at the Knoxville News about our favorite bashing target:
Holly Warlick's response worse than Lady Vols' loss

There a 3 main considerations with this:
1. The local press is turning on Holly, which is getting louder and louder
2. Rumors of at least one transfer within the program will only hurt her and the program if it occurs
3. Will Fulmer let the last year of her contract ride out to see how the next talented in-coming class fares or will he eat the $650K left and go after someone else?

Reaction Score
For good sport, I present this article from John Adams at the Knoxville News about our favorite bashing target:

There a 3 main considerations with this:
1. The local press is turning on Holly, which is getting louder and louder
2. Rumors of at least one transfer within the program will only hurt her and the program if it occurs
3. Will Fulmer let the last year of her contract ride out to see how the next talented in-coming class fares or will he eat the $650K left and go after someone else?
3. If he doesn't extend her then she's a lame duck for recruiting. Big no-confidence vote. Most coaches whom the school really want to keep get rolling extensions every year or every-other-year, out several years, so the recruits can see some continuity.

Reaction Score
Voepel had a column on HW's status, and concluded that it was probably too soon for AD Fulmer to take action. That he likely has been focused on other matters. And Warlick is well liked personally.

I've been having trouble linking today so perhaps someone else can post it.

Reaction Score

I thought this was a great line. And I dont just mean for Tenn.

Outstanding high school basketball players like Russell and Nared are attracted to Tennessee because of its winning tradition and its passionate fan base. You can’t have it both ways.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
3. If he doesn't extend her then she's a lame duck for recruiting. Big no-confidence vote. Most coaches whom the school really want to keep get rolling extensions every year or every-other-year, out several years, so the recruits can see some continuity.

Actually, not really true in the Women’s game. Many schools and coaches go until the end of the contract. It works this way in basically all non- revenue sports as the athletes usually pick the School due to academics as there are very few sport revenue opportunities after graduating in lacrosse, field hockey, swimming, tennis, softball, soccer, volleyball etc...

Reaction Score
Actually, not really true in the Women’s game. Many schools and coaches go until the end of the contract. It works this way in basically all non- revenue sports as the athletes usually pick the School due to academics as there are very few sport revenue opportunities after graduating in lacrosse, field hockey, swimming, tennis, softball, soccer, volleyball etc...
OK. Does work that way for football and MBB, and seems to work that way for Geno.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
OK. Does work that way for football and MBB, and seems to work that way for Geno.
There are significantly “other financia” interests at stake with Geno. Would SNY sign up for more television rights not knowing his status? Plus his coaching staff and as he IS THE BEACON for professional ranks, the very top players will want to know. As my mother said-“there are always exceptions to every rule”....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom