Coaches see improvement in Heather | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coaches see improvement in Heather

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Scotter, a very interesting observation and one worth considering.
I agree with Scotter up to a point. I think he would use a regular season game--even during or after a 90-game streak--as a teaching moment. I am not sure he would--or should--in a Final Four game.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
People yelling shoot the ball Heather doesn't bother me at all. It's when they start yelling shoot the ball Ice that gets to me.
And I thought you had ice in your veins. Must be climate change that is getting to you.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
She stated she does everything perfectly in drills but when she steps on the court in real games she gets frazzled. It shows how much the mental and emotional make up of a person influence a person's performance. She is confident in practice, but not in real game situations.

I can relate. I have played tennis my entire life. When I just hit in practice I look like I could compete quite well. When keeping score becomes involved I tighten up and can't hit some of the shots that seem second nature in practice. Sports are sooooo mental.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
2 things.

1. Geno definitely wants to win championships. Maybe not any any cost, but his team was exhausted, he had a not exactly totally inept Heather on the bench, and Heather could scarcely get a confidence boost by being nailed to the bench. I do not recollect that during tournament time, she was noted to have been ailing very much.

2. I will never, ever , ever, yell "Shoot Ice, Shoot."

Reaction Score
I agree with Scotter up to a point. I think he would use a regular season game--even during or after a 90-game streak--as a teaching moment. I am not sure he would--or should--in a Final Four game.
If I have correctly interpreted Geno's intentions I don't necessarily view those intentions as necessarily morally correct. It is moral grey area in my opinion.

I'd also be happy to be proven wrong by contradictory evidence. Claiming Geno isn't doing everything possible to win is not firm ground to stand on, but I can't think of an important game including in the NCAA tournament that would have been analogous to playing Heather against Notre Dame in the Final Four last season. And I heard or read many comments by Geno over the years, especially when Geno dissects loses that make me believe I'm not that far off the mark. And it doesn't necessarily have to be something that is an overtly conscious thought.

Reaction Score
Heather needs more playing time to make the experience less daunting. Since she is performing well in practice, Gino will giving her more court time. Also, she will be playing with Kiah. That will make the defensive duties easier for both of them. Offensively, they could do some hi-lo's and get some uncontested shots if a defender tries to cheat off of them.

Hopefully, Heather will emulate Hilton Armstrong, who took time to develop; but, in his senior year made a valuable contribution to a championship.

Reaction Score
What a great attitude Heather has. Any player good enough to play at a D1 school loves to play, not watch. And even though she has been having to "watch", she doesn't sound angry or bitter - just determined to give her all. I sure hope she has very successful year. Since the coaches are good at developing post players they should have her ready by now. Go Heather - we're all pulling for you.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I agree... Heather wasnt getting burn against cellar dwellers, in my opinion thats more harmful than trying but failing in a Final Four game.

Reaction Score
2 things.

1. Geno definitely wants to win championships. Maybe not any any cost, but his team was exhausted, he had a not exactly totally inept Heather on the bench, and Heather could scarcely get a confidence boost by being nailed to the bench. I do not recollect that during tournament time, she was noted to have been ailing very much.

2. I will never, ever , ever, yell "Shoot Ice, Shoot."

The following comments aren't meant to, in any way, suggest that Coach A isn't outstanding at what he does. And they are most certainly not meant to start a firestorm.

But, IMHO, in the ND game the coach froze at a critical time when the game situation required that he move away from his comfort zone, i.e., not using players who may not have performed well in practice.

Also, wasn't there another important game, it may have been the 89th or 90th in the streak, when an assisntant had to suggest to him that he make a critical substitution that led to a win?

My point is this: IMHO, sometimes during close games Coach A is just too stubborn. He appears to be unwilling to move outside of his comfort zone.

These are, of course, just my opinions.

John Fryer

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The following comments aren't meant to, in any way, suggest that Coach A isn't outstanding at what he does. And they are most certainly not meant to start a firestorm.

But, IMHO, in the ND game the coach froze at a critical time when the game situation required that he move away from his comfort zone, i.e., not using players who may not have performed well in practice.

Also, wasn't there another important game, it may have been the 89th or 90th in the streak, when an assisntant had to suggest to him that he make a critical substitution that led to a win?

My point is this: IMHO, sometimes during close games Coach A is just too stubborn. He appears to be unwilling to move outside of his comfort zone.

These are, of course, just my opinions.

John Fryer

I agree... those rules/teachings may have worked in the 90's & early 2000's but these days he need to move out of his comfort zone.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I can relate. I have played tennis my entire life. When I just hit in practice I look like I could compete quite well. When keeping score becomes involved I tighten up and can't hit some of the shots that seem second nature in practice. Sports are sooooo mental.

It's the same with golf. I can go to the range and mid way through a bucket of balls I have it really grooved. Taking it to the course is a different matter.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
"It's the same with golf. I can go to the range and mid way through a bucket of balls I have it really grooved. Taking it to the course is a different matter."

Easy solution. Hit a bucket of balls for each shot of your round and play the best one - kind of an individual scramble format. It elevates the mulligan to a totally new level.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Easy solution. Hit a bucket of balls for each shot of your round and play the best one - kind of an individual scramble format. It elevates the mulligan to a totally new level.

Now you are giving away my secrets.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I agree... those rules/teachings may have worked in the 90's & early 2000's but these days he need to move out of his comfort zone.

In my opinion, the reason that UCONN lost the ND game was because Moore did not take over sooner. I don't know if this was due to Geno's desire to involve other players or due to Maya's desire to get help from other players. The only knock I ever had on Maya was that she sometimes waited too late in a game to take over, which I think was the case in the ND game, IMO. She had spectacular numbers but ND had no answer for her and she could have dropped 50 on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom