Coaches road show bus gets pulled over by police and.. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Coaches road show bus gets pulled over by police and..

Reaction Score
I don't think it is an either or proposition for most people. I enjoy the fundamentals being well executed by the women and their skill level. And I enjoy the men's game even more.
People should stop seeing this as a contest. I think there is an insecurity shown by that. By either set of fans. And it is a loud minority on each side that perpetuates it, not a majority. There is no obnoxious women's fan that threatens my being a fan of the men. And their is no macho men's fan or aging crowd for the women that cause me to lose appreciation for the women.
Very well said! I would add that the men's game would be even better to watch if the teams played with the same level of discipline and as fundamentally sound as the UConn women's team. There actually is existence proof of this as there are a few examples in both the college level and the NBA. As for our team, if we won't be able to recruit one and dones from within our conference, we will need to move more in this direction.

Reaction Score
I've never bought the idea that people watch the UConn women's team because of how good they are. That's a completely arbitrary justification that doesn't hold up to further scrutiny. Quality is subjective and can be manipulated quite easily to fit any narrative you want. If ESPN televised boys high school games or D-3 men's action, would you watch? Probably not, because even if they were equivalent to the UConn women in terms of dominance, they still wouldn't wear the UConn jersey. The sentimental appeal wouldn't exist and people wouldn't care. Similarly, if the UConn field hockey team embarked on a similar streak, they wouldn't garner near the attention that the women's basketball team gets.

The reason I point these things out is to show how gender intersects with a host of other variables on the topic of college sports. That might seem obvious (thank you Einstein for telling us UConn fans would rather watch UConn than Trinity High), but it masks a central truth that the rest of the dialogue then pivots from: people feel obligated to watch the women's team because they've been deprived of every excuse not to. The crutch that exists for, say, Wisconsin football fans does not for UConn basketball fans because patriarchy is not built into the sport itself in the same way. They can say "I don't like basketball that much" just like the Duke fan can say "I don't like high school basketball" or the NBA fan can refuse to watch anything that's not the best. People find a way to circumvent the decisive variable - gender - when it comes to explaining their preferences in entertainment.

Except, rationalization is never necessary as a consumer, and so, yes, I do get annoyed when people in the media trip over themselves to acknowledge Geno's success because it feels so shamelessly manufactured, even after every pixel of novelty has dissolved. "Can you imagine not losing a conference home game since 1943, Seth?" "Seth, you there?"

Please don't accuse me of generalizing, because I'm well aware that there are plenty of people legitimately invested in women's basketball. All the power to them, and if they're passionate about growing the sport, they should continue to promote the players and coaches with the same vigor that ESPN grants LeBron. Ultimately, the reason does not matter. If you're rooting for the program because you love the school, or want to encourage your daughter to play, or just can't find anything else on TV, every contribution means a lot and supports a great cause.

Let's just stop insulting everyone's intelligence. People tend to care about things that other people care about. Certainly, there is something to be said for pioneering change and stepping out on an island every now and again, but don't allow the lazy social angle to obscure the nature of people (ironically, the popularity of men's sports are sustained by a bandwagon effect that is largely associated with femininity and group think). Some give and take is required.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I've never bought the idea that people watch the UConn women's team because of how good they are. That's a completely arbitrary justification that doesn't hold up to further scrutiny.

You actually wrote those words to make a point?"
Come on Champs

Reaction Score
Personal blackout/blockade and part of a larger brainwashing scheme... You should be feeling persecuted...and paranoid.
And, even if you aren't feeling paranoid...that doesn't mean 'Europe' isn't out to get you. Should bolt ASAP, while/IF you can.....
What are you talking about?

Reaction Score
@David 76 I don't want to go down the "high school boy's team x is better than UConn" rabbit hole because I think it's generally shallow and insulting. However, when we talk about gender and sports, a couple things need to be considered:

1. The purported athletic advantages that men have over women are socially constructed and developed to fit a language that is written and maintained by men. To the extent that men are better at basketball is a function of the game being invented by a male, making it difficult to then separate the origins of the sport from gender.

2. Along those lines, Patriarchy - which promotes things like aggression, force, pain, and competition - is so ingrained in the vernacular of sport that women competing is almost counter-intuitive. The actual premise would have to be modified in order to create a model that achieves fair representation, not just with respect to women but also gay men. Assigning women to a completely separate domain only prepares them systematically for second class citizenship.

3. The fact that our constructed definition of basketball talent favors men over women may cause some to distort the persisting gender inequality in our country at large. I do not have that concern with someone like you, necessarily, or even most people, but when we misrepresent something with deeply sexist roots as being equal opportunity, we risk obscuring the true meaning of feminism.

None of this is reason to disinvest in women's sports. Quite the opposite. Women's sports can obtain equal if not greater popularity than men's sports. We've seen it happen in tennis, maybe occasionally in soccer or hockey (all sports that, non-coincidentally, tend to induce more national pride). It's entertainment like anything else. You sell the story well enough and people will consume the product. They care far less about quality than they'll have you believe. The UConn women's team is evidence of that - their appeal does not derive from their play so much as it does their dominance. They're the glitch in the system. Restore them to a more level playing field, without changing a thing about their skill level, and watch the intrigue fade. Even the attention they receive is a reflection of the deck being stacked against them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You say so much that is so wrong.

Your entire position is socially constructed. Your entire value system is socially constructed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1. The purported athletic advantages that men have over women are socially constructed and developed to fit a language that is written and maintained by men. To the extent that men are better at basketball is a function of the game being invented by a male, making it difficult to then separate the origins of the sport from gender.
Possibly my quote of all time on the BY, knocking off my prior favorite Fishy's hanging sentence.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
When did champs go off the deep end?

He’s perfectly lucid and merely saying things that reflect various degrees of outrageousness in order to stoke the fire and stir up more discussion. To me, that post read like pure satire, especially given that it’s somewhat divergent from stuff he’s posted on sociopolitical issues in the past.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
??????

Oh, and I think gay men already play professional sports.

Reaction Score
He’s perfectly lucid and merely saying things that reflect various degrees of outrageousness in order to stoke the fire and stir up more discussion. To me, that post read like pure satire, especially given that it’s somewhat divergent from stuff he’s posted on sociopolitical issues in the past.

How so? I honestly thought you might agree with me.

Reaction Score
??????

Oh, and I think gay men already play professional sports.

Yes, and there is a reason none of them - at least to my knowledge, in the big four leagues - identify as such. The premise of athletic competition is often contrary to the sort of things we associate with homosexuality.

Reaction Score
I like both teams. Generally I prefer this board over the woman’s board - except when this board talks about the women’s team.

Without getting into it too much, I’ll say this...I’m not sure how anyone can be a fan of basketball, and not enjoy the sheer level of talent of some of the women’s players have had over the years. Quite frankly, I have yet to find a player - on either program - that is more exciting than Taurasi..and struggle to understand how basketball fans can’t appreciate her..outside of gender.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom