Coachable Moment | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coachable Moment

C

Chief00

In Chief's world a layup is more efficient than a dunk.

Actually, either is fine but in this case because he took off so far away the layup was the better shot. I prefer dunks if it’s right positionally, the guy can elevate and possesses decent hands.

Updated to reflect I was replying to SuperJohn. Thanks Hans for bringing this to my attention. Lots of great questions and comments were generated in this basketball centric thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

What Bill Russell thinks of Chief's coaching:

ezgif.com-optimize.gif
Russ is having some fun. Good for him.

C

Chief00

When I think coachable moments, I always go to..
(*Edited to correct video)

Globetrotters are good family type entertainment for the Casual Fans. Quite frankly, not to be confused with competitive basketball.

Reaction Score
The thing Chief likes about this very brief video of Bill Russell jumping over a guy - he made it look routine. He finished with a layup - there was no celebrating by Russell - - he immediately turned around and got back on defense. True, jumping over the opponent gets the interest of the Casual Fan - but these other things are what stand out to Chief.
So much for a young player to learn from.

Good story but it isn't really about Russell, it was the culture of the NBA back then. Guys didn't react like they do now --except at the end of the game. Even then it was subdued by today's standards.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thanks for starting another exhilarating thread “coach” Chief. Next time you post something that has absolutely nothing to do with UConn b-ball you might just want to throw an OT in there. The casual fan doesn’t have time to read through non-UConn threads

If you don't think our players (cough...Christian Vital) can learn something about how to conduct themselves on the court from watching an all time great make a spectacular individual play, and then getting back on D without celebration, you haven't watched our guys over the last two years. I expect that Hurley will have a short leash for guys who celebrate after making an ill advised 3 in a game where the team is losing badly.

I'll always remember when I was in KC, and Marcus Allen was with the Chiefs. They drafted Greg Hill as a rookie RB. Marcus had one piece of advice for Hill, when you get into the end zone, act like you've been there before and will get there again. Class act, Marcus Allen.

C

Chief00

If you don't think our players (cough...Christian Vital) can learn something about how to conduct themselves on the court from watching an all time great make a spectacular individual play, and then getting back on D without celebration, you haven't watched our guys over the last two years. I expect that Hurley will have a short leash for guys who celebrate after making an ill advised 3 in a game where the team is losing badly.

I'll always remember when I was in KC, and Marcus Allen was with the Chiefs. They drafted Greg Hill as a rookie RB. Marcus had one piece of advice for Hill, when you get into the end zone, act like you've been there before and will get there again. Class act, Marcus Allen.

Exactly.
I like that “(cough....Christian Vital) line.

Reaction Score
Exactly.
I like that “(cough....Christian Vital) line.

Right, the same Christian Vital who was the only who played like he had UCONN on his jersey. If the rest of the team played with his energy and enthusiasm both on offense and defense we wouldn’t have had a losing record the last 2 seasons. CV needs to work on his shot selection, but I hope to see a lot more celebrating this year as we should be winning a lot more games. I got pretty tired of watching other teams celebrate. I wish everyone on our team had CV’s moxie, because as good of a coach as Chief thinks he is, moxie can’t be taught.

C

Chief00

Right, the same Christian Vital who was the only who played like he had UCONN on his jersey. If the rest of the team played with his energy and enthusiasm both on offense and defense we wouldn’t have had a losing record the last 2 seasons. CV needs to work on his shot selection, but I hope to see a lot more celebrating this year as we should be winning a lot more games. I got pretty tired of watching other teams celebrate. I wish everyone on our team had CV’s moxie, because as good of a coach as Chief thinks he is, moxie can’t be taught.

I like CV too but he needs to tighten his game, which hopefully he is on his way in doing with Danny running the show.
When you celebrate after hitting a 3 when your team is down by 18 points, it sends a lot of bad messages.

Reaction Score
I like CV too but he needs to tighten his game, which hopefully he is on his way in doing with Danny running the show.
When you celebrate after hitting a 3 when your team is down by 18 points, it sends a lot of bad messages.

Right, you know what else sends a bad message? Hanging your head and giving up 10 minutes into a 40 minute game after getting down 10-15 points because you’re giving minimal effort. I think more than anything CV was trying to be a spark to light a fire for the rest of the team. Did you ever see his post-game interviews after a loss? I’m sure you did since you were hangin with KO and the staff in the locker room. The kid never once acted like he was playing for himself. The message was always “we just didn’t have it today, WE need to get better.” There were a large number of games last year where we were down 15 points and CV was still playing his heart out while the rest of the team quit. Maybe celebrating after a 3 being down 15 points doesn’t look good, but as a fan I love him trying to fire up the team for a comeback. Christ, I can’t even imagine how much uglier some of our losses would have been last year without this kid. And for the record, if you have the choice between a layup and a dunk, you dunk it 100 times out of 100. It has nothing to do with positioning or anything else, if you can dunk it, you dunk it, period. You can post your rebuttal to this as I’m sure you will, but re-posting something stupid doesn’t make it any less stupid. I will say in advance that there are some situations where you don’t dunk because you are on a fast break using your body as a shield to keep the defender from blocking you, but any time you lay the ball up vs. dunking you are increasing the chances of missing due to a bad bounce, weird spin, defender deflection, etc. For someone who labels them self as a “coach” and is so tied into the UConn program you don’t seem to have a very good grasp on UConn or basketball in general. Weird, I would have thought you would have picked up something from all those years of hanging out with JC/ end of rant

Reaction Score
Bring back the peach baskets and set shots!!!!!

You guys sound like my father, who is 80 - things change.

Some guys celebrate, talk trash, whatever to fuel themselves. It’s not my speed, but if it works for someone else, great. It’s not a personal affront to me - I always wonder why it bothers folks so much - who cares.

I work with a lot of coaches and athletes and you’d be surprised how many successful coaches routinely say “I’ve got to adapt to the kids, they don’t have to adapt to me” - they say that because kids have options and if they can’t communicate to kids they’re sunk. That doesn’t mean they abandoned their philosophy, it just means they’ve got to find different ways to reach kids and they understand that some kids are like CV others aren’t and they’ll allow kids to not be robots - thankfully.

@HuskyHawk I’d slow your roll on the Marcus Allen was a class act, unless the numerous infidelity story are all 100% false, which is possible, just not probable. But he is a very nice guy.

C

Chief00

Right, you know what else sends a bad message? Hanging your head and giving up 10 minutes into a 40 minute game after getting down 10-15 points because you’re giving minimal effort. I think more than anything CV was trying to be a spark to light a fire for the rest of the team. Did you ever see his post-game interviews after a loss? I’m sure you did since you were hangin with KO and the staff in the locker room. The kid never once acted like he was playing for himself. The message was always “we just didn’t have it today, WE need to get better.” There were a large number of games last year where we were down 15 points and CV was still playing his heart out while the rest of the team quit. Maybe celebrating after a 3 being down 15 points doesn’t look good, but as a fan I love him trying to fire up the team for a comeback. Christ, I can’t even imagine how much uglier some of our losses would have been last year without this kid. And for the record, if you have the choice between a layup and a dunk, you dunk it 100 times out of 100. It has nothing to do with positioning or anything else, if you can dunk it, you dunk it, period. You can post your rebuttal to this as I’m sure you will, but re-posting something stupid doesn’t make it any less stupid. I will say in advance that there are some situations where you don’t dunk because you are on a fast break using your body as a shield to keep the defender from blocking you, but any time you lay the ball up vs. dunking you are increasing the chances of missing due to a bad bounce, weird spin, defender deflection, etc. For someone who labels them self as a “coach” and is so tied into the UConn program you don’t seem to have a very good grasp on UConn or basketball in general. Weird, I would have thought you would have picked up something from all those years of hanging out with JC/ end of rant

So in the referenced clip, you think Russell should have dunked it? I maintained in that scenario the lay-up was best.
Your post about dunking misrepresented what I posted in this thread. You need to re-read and and come back and ask me if you still don’t see the light.
When did I label myself a coach on this forum? I never labeled myself as anything - I don’t put a label out there to characterize Chief - insider or coach or donor or whatever. I don’t choose to do that - never have. I let my content speak volumes.

C

Chief00

Bring back the peach baskets and set shots!!!!!

You guys sound like my father, who is 80 - things change.

Some guys celebrate, talk trash, whatever to fuel themselves. It’s not my speed, but if it works for someone else, great. It’s not a personal affront to me - I always wonder why it bothers folks so much - who cares.

I work with a lot of coaches and athletes and you’d be surprised how many successful coaches routinely say “I’ve got to adapt to the kids, they don’t have to adapt to me” - they say that because kids have options and if they can’t communicate to kids they’re sunk. That doesn’t mean they abandoned their philosophy, it just means they’ve got to find different ways to reach kids and they understand that some kids are like CV others aren’t and they’ll allow kids to not be robots - thankfully.

@HuskyHawk I’d slow your roll on the Marcus Allen was a class act, unless the numerous infidelity story are all 100% false, which is possible, just not probable. But he is a very nice guy.

I have no problem with it if you can back it up. CV did not back it up last season. I like CV and Chief is stating the obvious. Danny has already covered this ground with CV in the Spring so you are wasting a lot of energy. Danny is a little stricter about this stuff than Chief.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Globetrotters are good family type entertainment for the Casual Fans. Quite frankly, not to be confused with competitive basketball.

Only a casual fan gets caught up in the entertainment aspect of the 'Trotters.

Those who study basketball for a living notice the passing, the spacing, the communication amongst the players and executing a game plan. They see a "team" out on the floor and players who play for the name on front of the jersey not the name on the back.

#sadJefe.

C

Chief00

Only a casual fan gets caught up in the entertainment aspect of the 'Trotters.

Those who study basketball for a living notice the passing, the spacing, the communication amongst the players and executing a game plan. They see a "team" out on the floor and players who play for the name on front of the jersey not the name on the back.

#sadJefe.

Praise God - continue believing. It’s all good.

Reaction Score
So in the referenced clip, you think Russell should have dunked it? I maintained in that scenario the lay-up was best.
Your post about dunking misrepresented what I posted in this thread. You need to re-read and and come back and ask me if you still don’t see the light.
When did I label myself a coach on this forum? I never labeled myself as anything - I don’t put a label out there to characterize Chief - insider or coach or donor or whatever. I don’t choose to do that - never have. I let my content speak volumes.

“The effort is there - don’t worry Chief will coach you up.”- Chief (last Tuesday)

Not to mention your title of this thread acting like you’re a coach.

pj

Reaction Score
“The effort is there - don’t worry Chief will coach you up.”- Chief (last Tuesday)

Like Chief, I'm qualified to coach Boneyarders on how to post, but that doesn't mean I'm qualified to coach D1 basketball players at basketball.

C

Chief00

Hans/Huskymedic - Chief’s apology - I will need to assume the role of grammar police for a moment - never thought I would see the day Chief would be in that role. LOL

- When Chief says “coach you up”, “ coach “ is being used as a verb not a noun.

- Title of Thread - “Coachable” is an adjective not a noun. It means capable of being coached.

Hurleyman, sometimes we all try too hard about something silly and the results are usually not good. Chief’s advice - set yourself free and let it go. Best Regards my friend.

Reaction Score
Hans/Huskymedic - Chief’s apology - I will need to assume the role of grammar police for a moment - never thought I would see the day Chief would be in that role. LOL

- When Chief says “coach you up”, “ coach “ is being used as a verb not a noun.

- Title of Thread - “Coachable” is an adjective not a noun. It means capable of being coached.

Hurleyman, sometimes we all try too hard about something silly and the results are usually not good. Chief’s advice - set yourself free and let it go. Best Regards my friend.

Chief, it sure looks as if we won't need Hans to bring Franz into the discussion to "Pump You Up".

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
The only player that would have been able to stop Russell is The Chief himself, Robert Parish. But alas they were a decade apart and would have played on the same team.

Reaction Score
No one could stop Russell. Most under rated player ever. He could change a game with his defense. But people forget his offense was good as well

Reaction Score
No one could stop Russell. Most under rated player ever. He could change a game with his defense. But people forget his offense was good as well
He could score, rebound pass and best ever on "D".

C

Chief00

Chief what does Bunkey do when the kids go back to school? Does he pack his stuff up and move in?

Good question - I would love Bunkey to play some entertainment role at games. He would appeal to a young audience and get the crowd going. Got to get this dude back in the UConn game.

C

Chief00

He had such talent around him offensively so he was content blocking shots and rebounding. He only cared about winning.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom