Coachable Moment | The Boneyard

Coachable Moment

C

Chief00

The thing Chief likes about this very brief video of Bill Russell jumping over a guy - he made it look routine. He finished with a layup - there was no celebrating by Russell - - he immediately turned around and got back on defense. True, jumping over the opponent gets the interest of the Casual Fan - but these other things are what stand out to Chief.
So much for a young player to learn from.

C

Chief00

I'm just a casual fan but he finished with a layup because dunking wasn't legal. Agree on the lack of celebration and getting back on D though.
Good question- finishing with a layup is all part of the simplicity of his game, which translated to greatest.

C

Chief00

that wasn't a question, chief

Chief took it as a cry out for guidance - which translates to a question.

So let Chief break it down further. The finishing with a layup comment has nothing to do with being able to dunk or not. Finishing with a layup is basketball at its most efficient. Ideally, in the perfect World every play would end with a layup or clean dunk. Of course, that will never happen but it would mean the defense and rebounding is great, the ball moves up the court quickly and the opponent’s defense is in disarray. Vision, spacing and unselfish play on offense is also present. Bill Russell is a player and man I admire. He represents all of the above on the court.
Chief hopes this helps.

Reaction Score
I'm just a casual fan but he finished with a layup because dunking wasn't legal. Agree on the lack of celebration and getting back on D though.
I don't remember dunking ever being illegal in the NBA. It got banned in college when Lew Alcindor was at UCLA. That ban lasted about ten years. But that would have been well after Russell was at San Francisco.

Reaction Score
So let Chief break it down further. The finishing with a layup comment has nothing to do with being able to dunk or not. Finishing with a layup is basketball at its most efficient. Ideally, in the perfect World every play would end with a layup or clean dunk.

This is real value here. To my casual eye the most efficient way for Russell to finish this fast break would have been to put up a contested 19 foot fadeaway. Thanks for clarifying, Chief.

C

Chief00

This is real value here. To my casual eye the most efficient way for Russell to finish this fast break would have been to put up a contested 19 foot fadeaway. Thanks for clarifying, Chief.

As Bob Cousy once said, you can’t get closer than close. Try to get a layup and when one presents itself (in this case by jumping over someone - LOL) take the shot.

Reaction Score
The thing Chief likes about this very brief video of Bill Russell jumping over a guy - he made it look routine. He finished with a layup - there was no celebrating by Russell - - he immediately turned around and got back on defense. True, jumping over the opponent gets the interest of the Casual Fan - but these other things are what stand out to Chief.

Bill Russell was the real deal. Did not realize he was so athletic. He stops dribbling top of the key, takes his two and floats over the dude to lay it in. That's special.

C

Chief00

Bill Russell was the real deal. Did not realize he was so athletic. He stops dribbling top of the key, takes his two and floats over the dude to lay it in. That's special.

Needless to say, exceptionally special player.

Reaction Score
Another casual fan here, but I’m puzzled at Chief endorsing a 6’10” center as the guy who starts and finishes the fast break?

Shouldn’t he have dished to a shorter player (I think they are called “guards”???)

C

Chief00

Needless to say, exceptionally special player.

Actually, either is fine but in this case because he took off so far away the layup was the better shot. I prefer dunks if it’s right positionally, the guy can elevate and possesses decent hands.

C

Chief00

Another casual fan here, but I’m puzzled at Chief endorsing a 6’10” center as the guy who starts and finishes the fast break?

Shouldn’t he have dished to a shorter player (I think they are called “guards”???)

Some great questions and Chief loves talking basketball.

Quite frankly, Russell usual threw the outlet to a guard but for whatever reason took this one himself. You will note though a guy on either wing (textbook) and the ball in the middle. The guy on the right wing continued going to the basket at a 45 degree angle. He was an option for a pass but also for an offensive rebound. The guy on the left (Sam Jones?) went to a spot that he was a deadly shooter from.

Now let me be clear, Chief doesn’t advocate the guys on the team trying to jump over an opponent. As Jim Calhoun use to say - there is some flexibility for the great ones. You can’t argue with success and the picture they draw on the court. The big thing I hope this teaches - is act like you have been there after making a great play and get back on defense.

Reaction Score

Thanks for starting another exhilarating thread “coach” Chief. Next time you post something that has absolutely nothing to do with UConn b-ball you might just want to throw an OT in there. The casual fan doesn’t have time to read through non-UConn threads

C

Chief00

Thanks for starting another exhilarating thread “coach” Chief. Next time you post something that has absolutely nothing to do with UConn b-ball you might just want to throw an OT in there. The casual fan doesn’t have time to read through non-UConn threads

It has everything to do with what our current players can learn from. That indeed was the whole point. For example, you don’t think there is anything here CV can learn from about excessive celebrating and getting back on D?

Reaction Score
What Bill Russell thinks of Chief's coaching:

ezgif.com-optimize.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44